Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Which property of the sound reproduction does a high level of resistance in headphones influence?
    The amplifier...?

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    The amplifier...?
    You misunderstand me. All things equal, the only difference is the resistance. The headphones are attached to an amplifier capable of providing enough voltage to overcome the resistance of the headphones. What is the difference between say an 80 Ohm set and a 250 Ohm set (and for argument's sake a 600 Ohm set)?

(you may have noticed that I'm looking for a new pair of headphones (max ~150-170 euro, need to work with my Xonar DGX) to add to my Christmas list, my current ones aren't as comfortable as I thought they would be)

Basically narrowed it down to Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro (80 Ohm) or ATH-AD700.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-11-22 at 02:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an impedance, not a resistance. It just defines how much power the driver or speakerunit requires from the amplification. The higher the impedance, usually the larger/heavier the driverunit (conus) is and thus requiring more power to actuate/vibrate.

10+ Year Old Account
    think of the impedance as the equivalent to horsepower in a car, the more horsepower a car has, the more quickly and easily it can react to merging, passing and speed changes, the more impedance a pair of headphones has, the more easily it can react to changes in sound, its obviously a lot more complex than that, but impedance correlates to the power needed to drive the headphones, more power = more better

So a higher impedance set of headphones would be better at quick swings in volume, like explosions?

15+ Year Old Account
    So a higher impedance set of headphones would be better at quick swings in volume, like explosions?
    Also amping up does seem to make it much louder.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I might be talking out of my ass on this but:
    Think of it more like dynamic behaviour/response. For example in music when there is a wide variety of soundfrequencies present. You hear a guitar solo, but there is also a bass playing. In a cheaper headphone the bass would be almost unhearable because because the higher frequency is much more predominant and the gap between the frequencies is too large for it to follow both (it has to vibrate in 2000hz and 50hz, so it's constantly radicly changing ossilation speeds) This requires a larger impedance/actuation. So in your case of the explosion, it's the dip in sound shortly followed thereafter that is the problem for most headphones.

However, this is also dependant of the frequency response and dynamic range of your soundcard.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes, higher impedance means that the headphones need more power to deliver the same output volume as lower impedance headphones, conservation of energy means that the extra power is going somewhere, usually into the driver,

with proper amplification a high impedance headphone wont distort as much from quick sound changes like explosions, but that is only providing that your sound source is clear

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole link must be rather flawless. So a nice headphone, good cables, a proper soundcard and lossless or high quality soundrecording (flac).

You mean one part can't overcompensate for things already lost? However refreshing.
    Consider it like USB, it's backward compatible, but that doesn't mean you can use it fully.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    You mean one part can't overcompensate for things already lost? However refreshing.
    HAH, sarcasm! Not falling for it again, no sir!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh crap, brb calling Sennheiser to make sure the cable they used for my HD558 is plutonium-certified >_<
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Yeah, but I reckon a PWM fan and a graphics card will have less EMI compared to a Power Supply.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally have them back <3
    Oh my! Didn't know you had joined the group doing this! Picture saved for future use in a special video! ^_<
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    I've got an asus 280x taht I'm trying to install do I need to plug in both the 6 pin AND 8 pin?

Yes, you do
    &nbsp;

Deleted
    Okay I got everything hooked up, turned it on for the first time, all fans running green lights on the GPU and on the MB, but nothing shows up on my screen. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Disconnected power from gpu, and it works fine using onboard graphics. Tried to reseat the gpu still doesn't work.
    Last edited by mmoc374284bd0c; 2013-11-27 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkimxd View Post
    Okay I got everything hooked up, turned it on for the first time, all fans running green lights on the GPU and on the MB, but nothing shows up on my screen. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Disconnected power from gpu, and it works fine using onboard graphics. Tried to reseat the gpu still doesn't work.
    Is the monitor plugged in to the motherboard or the graphics card? Installing a graphics card deactivates the motherboard video outputs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the monitor plugged in to the motherboard or the graphics card? Installing a graphics card deactivates the motherboard video outputs.
    Actually I can use the HD4600 together with the 670.

15+ Year Old Account
    Think you need the drivers installed for that first, though

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Think you need the drivers installed for that first, though
    And, IIRC, also a setting that needs changing in BIOS.