10+ Year Old Account
    If I remember correctly Apple is fully adopting HEIF now on their new operating systems, it's even the default container, and probably saving HEVC bitstreams.

Yeah, you can control the lossless compression in PNGs, and as you said the only difference is the time to actually write it since you'll lose more time computing the compression. JPEG can look fine if you give it enough bitrate, 75KB was pretty random and in order to conclude anything half correctly we'd need to test a greater variety of images with different characteristics. So far I did test this same Yuna screenshot for 30KB, 75KB, 160KB, 250KB and 360KB.

It's still a single sample, so completely unscientific, but anyway:

Which clearly shows what we expect, the differences diminish as you increase the bitrate and at some point any of the video encoders (x264, x265 and libaom) would eventually reach something really close to transparency.

It's also somewhat important to remember most people on mpeg are also on libaom and there isn't really a codec war. Commercial devices are unlikely to get away from the mpeg codecs but AV1 should theoretically see some widespread usage in web streaming soon™.

And on top of that, VVC is being worked on and seems promising, even if HEVC hasn't completely replaced AVC yet.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2018-10-12 at 11:44 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've noticed a trend lately...

SSD prices are suddenly tumbling, not just SATA, but NVMe too. Just saw the WD 3D Blue 1TB for $138. What the hell?

And the Samsung 970 Evo NVMe 1TB for like $240. O_O

What's going on?!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    I put a collectible up on ebay for $250. That's at a loss from what I paid for it at auction some years ago.

Today a guy had his offers of $95 and $100 auto-declined, then made an offer of $125.

50% of what I'm asking? wtf dude, get fucked.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm... I don't have an PenTile OLED device to check (or just RGB OLED itself which I somehow doubt). Since people keep talking about 'black crush' and seeing examples of it. I'm wondering if it's a problem like VAs with dark gray materials. @Artorius basically annoying you, . Can you check to see about viewing angle and gray scale shifts, not sure if color shifts may be any issue with actually trying to look at it though. This is the assumption that the gamma curve is correct.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2018-10-23 at 06:56 AM.

Deleted
    Formerly known as Butler Log, I thought I'd make a new account to fuck with Google's data scraping efforts

New account, new cute baby sloth avatar. Let's see how long it takes to get back to 16k posts

(plus i can't get into my old email account so couldn't name change which I've been wanting to do for a while anyway).
    Last edited by mmoc3da1548a31; 2018-10-28 at 11:55 PM.

I would pm a mod. Having multiple accounts is not allowed, so either have them change the name(s) or ban the other, old one.

These are my thoughts, not intended as advise or recommendations or back seat moderation. ^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I would pm a mod. Having multiple accounts is not allowed, so either have them change the name(s) or ban the other, old one.

These are my thoughts, not intended as advise or recommendations or back seat moderation. ^^
    I'm not sure how I would prove I was the owner of the account if I cannot access the email address it was registered to (I think that recently MMOC sent out emails regarding a forced password change so the old PW doesn't work). I'll try PM'ing a friendly mod (there are lots of them ) though. I'll try seeing if the creds are on an old PC first though.
    Last edited by mmoc3da1548a31; 2018-10-29 at 01:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    I'm not sure how I would prove I was the owner of the account if I cannot access the email address it was registered to (I think that recently MMOC sent out emails regarding a forced password change so the old PW doesn't work). I'll try PM'ing a friendly mod (there are lots of them ) though. I'll try seeing if the creds are on an old PC first though.
    I can poke chaud if you want, see what can be done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Hm... I don't have an PenTile OLED device to check (or just RGB OLED itself which I somehow doubt). Since people keep talking about 'black crush' and seeing examples of it. I'm wondering if it's a problem like VAs with dark gray materials. @Artorius basically annoying you, . Can you check to see about viewing angle and gray scale shifts, not sure if color shifts may be any issue with actually trying to look at it though. This is the assumption that the gamma curve is correct.
    I forgot to reply, but yeah, at an angle you certainly get colour shits (it gets greener) while also getting some contrast loss (mainly due to luminance loss, blacks stay black).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I forgot to reply, but yeah, at an angle you certainly get colour shits (it gets greener) while also getting some contrast loss (mainly due to luminance loss, blacks stay black).
    Okeys, just kinda want a suspicion confirmation.

Deleted
    I can poke chaud if you want, see what can be done.
    I have a few harddrives lying around, I'll see if I can find the credentials on those before bothering Chaud. If I can't find them I'll pick you up on that offer

10+ Year Old Account
    Okeys, just kinda want a suspicion confirmation.
    I'd give you a better answer but I have nothing to measure anything with me atm, but the shifts were worse on my Note 4, while my S3 didn't really shift as much even though the display itself was way worse.

It should be criminal to put out a product without a 3.5mm jack, especially one that costs 1057 USD, which the cheapest Ipad Pro 11" is at..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    It should be criminal to put out a product without a 3.5mm jack, especially one that costs 1057 USD, which the cheapest Ipad Pro 11" is at..
    Get the WH-1000XM3!
    Though I wouldn't say criminal but it is quite annoying alright.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I'd give you a better answer but I have nothing to measure anything with me atm, but the shifts were worse on my Note 4, while my S3 didn't really shift as much even though the display itself was way worse.
    Nah it's fine, measuring off angle shifts are actually quite expensive.

I have a pair of Sennheiser Amperior and a pair of Oneplus Bullet Wireless (glasses, IEM off-load from on-ear, going to the gym, winter hat/beanie et c). There is no reason why I should not be able to use my superior pair of headphone at all times. It makes me angry out of principle. Having bluetooth is such an unnecessary and expensive addition built on, at least as the only option. It's not cost efficient for consumers and there are more points of failure. Cable going wrong? Sure, but I bought mine specifically because of the support on the headphone platform (HD25).

(but I thank you for the recommendation, I'm aware that they are excellent and I like the hybrid thing. )

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay class! Who wants to guess how much RAM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC is using when I've got 217 30 megapixel (read: 30-40~MB) pictures open in the catalog for editing?
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    For you to have them all decoded and stored in your RAM in a 24b YUV444P / RGB24 format you'd need exactly 18.18872988224029541015625 GB.
    If they're in YUV420P you'd need 9.094364941120147705078125 GB.

But lightroom is probably not storing decoded images in your RAM since that would be somewhat dumb with a high number of high resolution ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the peak number I saw was somewhere in the 8,500-8,800MB range, I believe.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Well, the peak number I saw was somewhere in the 8,500-8,800MB range, I believe.
    You can increase (or decrease) the amount of RAM that Lightroom / Photoshop will use. For the most part it just changes how much stuff gets cached on drives vs in RAM.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, why no LDAC bluetooth adapter.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can increase (or decrease) the amount of RAM that Lightroom / Photoshop will use. For the most part it just changes how much stuff gets cached on drives vs in RAM.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, why no LDAC bluetooth adapter.
    What need dis for?

To both you and @evn, I have all the RAM and potentially more in the future purely because I want to be able to move through Adobe Lightroom (and occasionally Photoshop) as fast as possible. These programs get slow, even on my computer, before long. Whatever I can do to speed up the process - I do, for sure.
    "A flower.