Page 7 of 533 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Was just checking Anandtech for any new news and saw their review of the new iPad, quite a difference in pixel density between it and the next highest competitor: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5689/t...splay-analysis

Hmm. Anyone know if you can set toy around with the fans connected to the motherboard via BIOS? :B

Just saw this:

Seagate hits one terabit per square inch, compares self favorably to the Milky Way
    The maximum capacity of today's 3.5-inch hard drives is 3 terabytes (TB), at about 620 gigabits per square inch, while 2.5-inch drives top out at 750 gigabytes (GB), or roughly 500 gigabits per square inch. The first generation of HAMR drives, at just over 1 terabit per square inch, will likely more than double these capacities – to 6TB for 3.5-inch drives and 2TB for 2.5-inch models. The technology offers a scale of capacity growth never before possible, with a theoretical areal density limit ranging from 5 to 10 terabits per square inch – 30TB to 60TB for 3.5-inch drives and 10TB to 20TB for 2.5-inch drives.
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/19/s...self-favorabl/

finally I may be able to keep all my stuff on one hard drive!

Oh, so I've found out why it wouldn't work. The NZXT Sentry fan controller just doesn't play ball with the pump's Amps.

Deleted
    Does anyone have hands-on experience with picoPSUs? I'm considering rebuilding my Fusion E-350 office computer into a smaller case (more HTPC oriented) and I'm considering one (FSP PicoPSU 90W).

Now if I understand it correctly the PSU itself needs an external converter (i.e. like most laptops). I'm assuming that the above mentioned PSU works with FSP PicoPSU 230V to 19V adapter.

What I'm planning is to keep my ASRock E3501, upgrade to 2x4GB RAM, exchange my current 250GB HDD for a 750GB HDD for storage and add a 40/60GB SSD as boot drive. All this in a Steacom FC1. When AMD Trinity hits the shelves I'll most likely exchange the motherboard for a ~30-40W equivalent APU+mITX combo when/if available. I'm slightly concerned about the power use actually, but without an ODD I doubt the system will use up those 90W (I'm running a 80W PSU currently).

I was considering building it all into my old Xbox but after opening it up I have changed my mind. It's certainly possible, but feels a bit... meh. It's also a lot more "plastic" than I remember...

I don't have any experience with that PSU, but I did want to chime in and say that I have a friend who built his HTPC into a broken Xbox 360, looks pretty neat, and they have even less room that original Xbox judging by those pictures.

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 08:27 AM ----------

I don't know how newsworthy this is, but ASRock has released specs on more Z77 motherboards: http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp?s=1155

That Z77 Extreme 4 is one heck of a pretty motherboard.

Yes it is... I'm hoping that they announce an Z77 Extreme3 board that looks similar... If not, I'll probably end up getting the Extreme4, even though it is overkill.

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 11:04 AM ----------

How do coolers like the NZXT Havik-140 work in regards to power? Do I have to hook them up individually, or do they come with a splitter that attaches to the 4pin CPU power?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Yes it is... I'm hoping that they announce an Z77 Extreme3 board that looks similar... If not, I'll probably end up getting the Extreme4, even though it is overkill.

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 11:04 AM ----------

How do coolers like the NZXT Havik-140 work in regards to power? Do I have to hook them up individually, or do they come with a splitter that attaches to the 4pin CPU power?
    The Extreme 6 board looks amazing too! O_O

And I believe the NZXT Havik 140 puts the two fans together, I forget. You could always check TTL's video! ;D

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 05:04 PM ----------

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...paign=CUEM1071

So I know it's Tiger Direct/CompUSA's deal, and I know it's Patriot memory... but I have to say, that's pretty insane to see a 4GB module now going for the extremely cheap $13.... albeit it is instant savings, but perhaps we'll soon see these prices. I noticed that after last Summer prices on RAM modules really started to kind of even out and they have not seemed to drop much in more recent months. Should be interesting to see how things go...

Well I just looked this up, an 8GB module from Corsair's XMS3 line that was $70-80 back in December.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145356

$60 is an improvement! I'd like to go for 32GB at some point. To run like 10+ VMs would be cool. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I checked TTL's video, it comes with a splitter, thanks for the recommendation.

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 04:18 PM ----------

I've watched several of his videos on the H100, and the more I see/hear about it, the more I'm leaning towards it, seems simple enough to install, and the temps are pretty stellar for a closed loop system.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like how the H100 looks, personally. :P Too simple-looking.

---------- Post added 2012-03-22 at 01:40 AM ----------

So I am thinking I might soon look into buying a new Crucial m4 128GB SSD to add in, but I am wondering - do they support TRIM in RAID0 yet? Or was that just an Intel SSD thing? I'm not 100% sure on that.

If they don't I am pondering just getting the 64GB version, but I am thinking - more space is better for going into the future, soooo....
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    No wonder it took me so long to stumble upon this thread, it's in the wrong place -_-
    Why is this thread in the Fun Stuff forum when it belongs in the Computer forum lol? Since so many threads were going off-topic in the Post Your Gaming Build topic, wouldn't it have made more sense to make a Chat thread in the Computer forum itself so people (like me and Delt) could've easily found that topic and redirected all chatter to there? I guess the only way to notify people of this thread is to repeatedly keep posting "alright this is getting off-topic, continue your discussion in the Computer Forum Chat Thread in the Fun Stuff Forum".

I checked TTL's video, it comes with a splitter, thanks for the recommendation.

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 04:18 PM ----------

I've watched several of his videos on the H100, and the more I see/hear about it, the more I'm leaning towards it, seems simple enough to install, and the temps are pretty stellar for a closed loop system.
    Apparently the fans can get really loud and if you want them quietened then the H100 performs on the same level as a D14 (or worse).
    Makes me wonder if water is really the more silent option over air when you factor in the pump + fans.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-03-22 at 07:11 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    well xuvial i think there is actually a sticky link in the computer forum

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed it is! I had never imagined something like this would make it to Sticky status so I hadn't even bothered looking there.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    well i do agree it seems like a weird place to put it but i suppose topics in the computer forum is for ''direct'' discussion of the thread rather than more or less whatever (as it seems to be in fun stuff)

It's in the Fun Stuff forum because posts in this forum don't attribute to post count. This is basically a spam thread, for lack of a better term, where people can make comments and ask questions that are not "important" enough to warrant their own topic. If it were located in the Computer Forum, we'd inevitably get people posting there just to pad their post count.

I actually messaged Bibi a couple weeks ago (before this thread was made) to ask if there was a way to make a certain thread not contribute to post count, that way we could sticky the actual thread in the Computer Forum instead of just a link, but I guess that's not a possibility at the moment (making a certain thread not contribute to post count).

In regards to your comment about the H100 being noisy. It is indeed noisy if you use the stock fans, but any 120mm fan will fit. I've already got two SilenX fans that are rated at < 15dBa that I plan to replace the Corsair stock fans with. TTL did a review of a pair of Noctua fans on it, and the mic couldn't even pick up the noise of it going at full throttle.

10+ Year Old Account
    so, all at once, the have the 680, SR-X, and E5 Xeons releasing, it will be interesting to watch the benchmarks change over the next few months, and see how far down my computer gets on the list

680 is ordered, now we wait for Ivy Bridge and Z77...

680 is ordered, now we wait for Ivy Bridge and Z77...
    I missed the opportunity to order one it seems (damn my night owl-ness!) so I've got email notices set up for when they become available again. Now I just need to figure out how to come up with the money... since I'm currently unemployed. Anyone ever had any luck selling computer parts off craigslist or ebay or something similar? If I get a new GPU I'll have a couple 6950's to get rid of (I know they're probably better than a single 680 in crossfire, but I honestly haven't had crossfire enabled for about a month, got tired of all the side effects of dual GPU gaming, and one 6950 ain't cutting it in BF3)

I'd expect them soon, I setup email alerts for one of the EVGA ones before the MSI went on sale, and I just got an alert an hour ago saying they were already back in stock.

I'm actually in the process of selling my old components on Ebay, I've had a lot of luck so far: sold an old 1366 motherboard and an old 23" Acer monitor; my old Thermaltake case and both 560 Ti are about to sell (they all have bids, just need to end). Now I have to unload my 950, current 1366 motherboard, and RAM, which I think I'm gonna do as a combo deal. Oh, and my current Thermaltake PSU.