Deleted
    Hmm I need a case that looks simple but also has to be able to be modded to fit 2x120 or 140 fans on the front, a 360 or a 480 rad on top and preferably have a floor of some kind or just have enough space so that I can make one, I am going to be doing a case mod obviously, but I really can't decide on which case to go with, or if I actually want to go for a custom loop or air.. Any ideas on a case though? I can cut windows, fan holes etc etc myself, so the most important things are that it's large enough and doesn't cost more than 285 euro!

For anyone interested my idea is to go with some sort of black/grey colours with some white and purple cables/fans, not sure if I should use white LED fans or not yet, neither am I sure what way around the colors will be, but the idea is from this picture pretty much:
    Not sure if the picture is too large?

10+ Year Old Account
    well, when looking at that picture, Lian Li comes to mind, but i dont know if they have any cases that will fit a 360/480 on top and a 240 on the front, you can do something similar with a Silverstone TJ11, Coolermaster Cosmos2, and pretty much anything from Caselabs and Mountain Mods

personally what i think matches that suit is the Lian Li PC-X2000f

it's a great case if you are into case modding, but definitely not for beginners

10+ Year Old Account
    Lian Li came to my mind too, they don't try anything silly with plastic or make their cases look like rocket ships. Quality aluminium with well-folded corners and sleek looks and functionality, that's what they're about. As for moddability, I don't know how aluminium compares to steel when it comes to cutting - I'm assuming since it tends to be thinner+lighter, modding would be far easier.

I give you the PC-A77FB (they really need to start coming up with decent names):

WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Thing with Lian Li cases is that they are so god damn expensive in Denmark, I mean those two cases are 340 and 440 euro, that's A LOT for a case. I was thinking about something like Fractal Design XL or Corsair 800D, the Corsair is also quite expensive though and I am not sure how I'd mod the front on the XL since it has the cover/door, so I'd need to fabricate a new front panel which could end up being a bit of a pain. I'd pick something like Lian Li V2000 if it wasn't for the price since I can do like a 2x2 140 LED fans or a res in the buttom part, maybe even a 480 fan mesh, but it's just too expensive for a hobby project imo

10+ Year Old Account
    if its 440euro then it only costs 87ish dollars (65 euros) more then in the US (unless i priced the wrong one), the thing to keep in mind is that if you want a big awesome computer, you have to deal with big awesome prices, GPUs like the 590 and 6990 aren't priced high for any reason other then to keep everyone from having them, i imagine the actual manufacturing cost of a GPU like the 680 or 590 is less then $50, it costs Intel less then $1 to manufacture a CPU, yet they can still range up to $7k

part of what you are paying for is the knowledge that while you may not have something unique, it certainly isn't common, and when it comes to Lian Li cases, i have yet to see one of their full towers in real life, i've seen plenty of their mid and micro towers, but never a full tower, and i imagine this is much the same across the computer world, with most of the people seeing those cases being the owners

Deleted
    Yeah I will be putting my about 1,5 year old build in it at first, also one of the reasons I am not sure if I want to watercool it straight away since I'd have to change blocks etc with new gear. But really I don't understand why the cases have to be so expensive, I see your points in actual processing parts, but cases.. I mean the knowledge in making a classic looking case can't be that much worth ..
    About the watercooling I guess that most blocks that fit my i7 950 will fit an upcoming socket as well? Where as my 6950's block won't be compatible with other cards.
    But Komplett is running an "hours sale" where everything is dropped in prices by like 20-70% for one hour, tonight, and I am hoping to pick up a fractal XL or 800D there, maybe they will have some Lian Li's as well, but most stores don't sell them in Denmark, hence the price also!

Oh god... I noticed that when I bought W7, it has on the top left corner a little message saying ''Upgrade for Windows Vista''. Did I really just spend 110€ for a copy W7 I can't use?

Sounds like you bought the upgrade disk... http://sadtrombone.com/

---------- Post added 2012-03-30 at 08:53 PM ----------

Thinking about getting my A+ certification... Been looking through some job positions I'm interested in (mostly desktop tech and PC support tech positions) and they all either require or highly recommend A+.

So, I was looking through the A+ Wikipedia and Wikibooks entries, sounds like I've unintentionally been studying for the past couple months by posting in the Computer Forum. =D Especially the Build Help section.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-31 at 12:54 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think all of you my fellow computer builder/repair nerds would love the first 2 and a half minutes of this.

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-th...lives-at-home/

---------- Post added 2012-03-31 at 02:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    So, I was looking through the A+ Wikipedia and Wikibooks entries, sounds like I've unintentionally been studying for the past couple months by posting in the Computer Forum. =D Especially the Build Help section.
    Yup, that's one of the reasons I love these forums so much. <3
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Sounds like you bought the upgrade disk... http://sadtrombone.com/

---------- Post added 2012-03-30 at 08:53 PM ----------

Thinking about getting my A+ certification... Been looking through some job positions I'm interested in (mostly desktop tech and PC support tech positions) and they all either require or highly recommend A+.

Hmh, but couldn't I just install Vista and upgrade to W7 right away?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppasan View Post
    Hmh, but couldn't I just install Vista and upgrade to W7 right away?
    you could, the only downside is that you will have two installations of windows

Deleted
    So I managed to not pick up a case at the hour sale, but a Crucial m4 128gb SSD for 25% off! Now I know you need to do some stuff before using the SSD, but I am not really sure if I got it all.
    - Turning off hibernate
    - Redo the page filing thing
    - Install newest firmware
    Is that all?

These are a couple of guides I used to maximize my SSD:
    Guide 1 - http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windo...size/2941?pg=1
    Guide 2 - http://lifehacker.com/5802838/how-to...fe-of-your-ssd

Guide 2 covers a lot of the same stuff as Guide 1, but there is also a couple of things in the second that aren't mentioned in the first.

Deleted
    The whole getting caches and other programs logs filing etc etc on a storage drive, how the hell do I do that? The part with junction points doesn't really elaborate too much

Did you read the second and third page? It's a three page article. The author instructs on how to tell data folders to point to a different location.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-04-01 at 08:05 PM.

Deleted
    Talking about this part from guide 2
    Temporary Files, Cache and Logs
    There are a lot of temporary files, caches and logs on your computer. These also result in a lot of excessive writes! However, if you'd like to try moving these, the method depends on which browser and what software you use.

For example Google Earth keeps a cache of the images of the places you visited, so whenever you use Google Earth you are essentially writing images to your SSD. Let's see in our next two sections how we can find those and use junction points (see below) when we can't move or disable them.
    I don't really get the instructions since they just tell you how to watch the writes that are happening, not really how to move them? Says something about a program that can change the path, but still not how to move it. Should I just make a folder on another drive and change path to that, and how to I even know where the programs write to, will the monitor tell me that? Stuff like that, it is not really all that elaborated on the site

Ah, I don't remember that part, I must have skipped it.

Deleted
    Is it important though? Sound like it is, if it will be doing excessive writes on the drive, stuff like browser logs/chaches, game caches etc etc?

Excessive writes can be detrimental, yes, but the author of that article goes on to teach you how to see what programs are often writing to your SSD and how to create junctions.

To answer your questions:
    1. Yes, you create a folder on your data drive and tell your browser to write to it.
    2. Yes, the monitor will tell you where it is writing to.

10+ Year Old Account
    this thread is not for asking about help with computers, their parts, or problems

we have a whole forum for that:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/290-Computer

and another for build advice:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/3...ter-Build-Help