10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I work a bit with shipping (I manage and oversee orders on a daily basis) and we often reuse boxes to save costs (especially with smaller orders). Perhaps not tortilla boxes, but still.
    i figured as much when my radiators and fittings came in an "Aunt Jemima Syrup" case order box

frozencpu is a rather small company, but one of the largest suppliers of watercooling parts in the US, unless im ordering directly from the manufacturer, i order from them

...speaking of watercooling, anyone here put a closed loop CPU watercooler like the Antec Kuhler 620/920/Corsair H60/70/80/100 on their graphics card like in this thread on OCN? I'm thinking of doing this with my 680 (that or just going full-blown watercooling, which I don't really have the money for and would have to mod my case to do so)

10+ Year Old Account
    It requires far too much modding and at far too great a risk...you have to take your GPU apart, drill holes, find a way to keep the VRMs/memory cool, etc etc.

Basically for the amount of work/risk the decrease in temps aren't worth it. It would be better to buy a proper waterblock and go with a custom loop.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Well I figured it'd be something to do for fun. If I went with the custom water cooling loop I'd have to do some serious case modding to fit the radiators (that or move my system back into my old CM690 II Advanced, which wouldn't really have enough room for what I'd want to do either)

If I was to go the "official" aftermarket cooling route I'd just get an air cooler like this one.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I want to get some Alchemy extensions, but first I think things that will actually improve my computing experience are vastly superior needs. :P

---------- Post added 2012-04-10 at 02:33 PM ----------

Since this is the fun stuff chat thread, thought I'd share this hilarious thinger with you all.

"A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Every time I see the "3D" label I cringe. Stereoscopic viewing, which essentially gives the illusion of "depth", has absolutely nothing to do with dimensions. I guess the cinema and movie industry use it because it's short and easy to put behind movie names (Titanic 3D, Lion King 3D, Saw 3D, etc). I guess it catches peoples attention.

It's finny because just a few years ago "3D" was used to label computer animated movies. At least there it made sense as those movies was made with software that used 3 dimensions, i.e. X, Y and Z axles (which is also referred to as "3D animating"). I guess computer animated films with stereoscopic image are now referred as "3D animated 3D movies"?

Worst yet was when I visited one of those gimmick cinemas with "4D". Unless getting splashed with water somehow affects time it has absolutely jack shit to do with the forth dimension.

/end rant
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-04-10 at 03:05 PM.

The only "4D" theater I've ever been to was one in an amusement park, and it was a Spongebob Squarepants movie lol, water splashing, wind blowing, different smells... It was more annoying than it was entertaining.

On an unrelated note: I need to stop watching TTL's watercooling videos, I'm really starting to consider sending back the H100 and doing my own custom loop just to try it. >.<

So I know Intel was delaying Ivy Bridge mobile processors, but anyone know around when they'll be coming out now? I'm thinking I might replace my aging 13" MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo) with a new laptop with a larger screen once they come out (if I were to buy right this instant, I'd get something like this)

Some time in June was what I last read. Can't find the source right now though (possibly an article on anandtech or a similar website).

The rumors for the first IB mobile processors is June 3rd I believe, Mac specific articles suggest this month or next, sources: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402859,00.asp / http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...=related_right / http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/desk...unch-in-april/

Good...good. Gives me some time to rebuild the funds. I probably won't be going with Mac this time around, I want a larger screen and to get the larger models of the MBP you have to spend a huge amount of money. I'm basically looking to get something like what I linked in my last post, just with an Ivy Bridge i3 instead of Sandy Bridge

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    My one large order from FrozenCPU came in a box with a FrozenCPU logo on it.

Just randomly noticed that our VM server at work is running two Xeon E5606s... We barely use it (it's for DR), you think they'll care if I play with it? =P

---------- Post added 2012-04-11 at 05:37 PM ----------

My pile of components is growing!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Just randomly noticed that our VM server at work is running two Xeon E5606s... We barely use it (it's for DR), you think they'll care if I play with it? =P

---------- Post added 2012-04-11 at 05:37 PM ----------

My pile of components is growing!

i used to have that mouse! was ok but i switched to a naga, more buttons :P. how are the corsair mechanical keyboards?

I dunno, I haven't tried it yet, but everyone I know who has a K90 loves it.

The Naga is blah, in my opinion. I had one back during Wrath and I ended up selling it to a friend about 3 weeks after I bought it. I don't need that many buttons, and it just felt cheap and plastic-y.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I dunno, I haven't tried it yet, but everyone I know who has a K90 loves it.

The Naga is blah, in my opinion. I had one back during Wrath and I ended up selling it to a friend about 3 weeks after I bought it. I don't need that many buttons, and it just felt cheap and plastic-y.
    the only complaint i have is the buttons get stuff in between them really easy from grease ect

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A. The Corsair K keyboards are beast, with the K90 being the big bro.

B. Razer likes to use Essence of Plastic in every one of their products.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Will actually be an i5 3570K (£168.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£69.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£57.55 @ Amazon UK)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£113.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Actually an XFX DD 1000 Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card (£263.98 @ Dabs)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower ATX Mid Tower Case (£68.22 @ Ebuyer)
    Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£89.98 @ Dabs)
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer (£13.67 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£69.44 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: £822.57
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated 2012-04-12 03:29 BST+0100)

What with Ivy Bridge finally coming, I thought I'd actually start thinking about putting together a computer for myself. Reckon I'm going to have a nice little powerhouse going here; any opinions? Video card was going to be an XFX double fan 7870, but pcpartpicker didn't have one to pick so I just went with the one closest to the price so I could keep an eye on the budget. My plans for a watercooled rig in a Switch 810 with a waterblocked graphics card have unfortunately had to be put on hold indefinitely I might be able to swing one of the xspc kits (2x120x60), but not sure. Of course, I may win the TTL competition (as if) but I'm not counting on it. The PSU should also be enough for another 7870, should I see fit to add one at a later date. I am also not sure about the case.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-04-12 at 12:14 PM.

Looks good Butler Log. Honestly, the H80 would be fine, I know you probably want to do a custom loop just to do it, but at least the H80 will keep your CPU cool.

On an unrelated note: I found this forum post while Google searching for Arc Midi mods. That's pretty much exactly what I plan on doing (in regards to the side panel window). He provides a bunch more pictures about halfway down the first page.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-04-12 at 02:42 PM.

I would go with the NH-D14 instead of any of the Corsair all in one water coolers.