I personally don't enjoy studio monitors for entertainment reasons.
    I realise they are providing a very flat and perhaps a more "true" representation.

However, when it comes to entertainment, I want the sound image to be rather coloured.
    I want it to have soul and depth.
    This is only my personal opinion, of course, and only for listening to music casually rather than actually "listening" to music. Or producing them. Neither which I can bring myself to do anymore and at all, respectively.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watercooling question! If I was to go with a custom loop, will there be any point in including the CPU in the loop as I already own an H100? Even at 5ghz the CPU doesn't run into temperature issues, more so once I invest in some half-decent fans for push/pull (got my eye on Slipstream Slims).
    I ask this because my GPU is by far the noisiest part of the build and responsible for venting 85-90c temps directly into the case after overclocking (yay DirectCU design). It'll also be simpler to pull off a gpu > 240 rad > pump > gpu loop.

edit: Also it'll most likely NOT be for my current GTX580 but for the next "big-K" GTX685/GTX780. Going by it's power requirements, die size, etc it should really go hand-in-hand with watercooling.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-05-02 at 08:43 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Question:
    Just been doing some basic testing to check everything (and to make sure that it works properly). I'm seeing a pretty big temperature difference between core #3 and the rest of the cores. Testing the temperatures for a little while ended up with this:

Core #0: 55°C
    Core #1: 57°C
    Core #2: 58°C
    Core #3: 51°C

I'm seeing a 5-8°C difference between #2 and #3 which is pretty substantial. Bad heatsink/paste application perhaps? Or should I consider this "normal"? Didn't see this huge difference with my 2500k; usually around 4-5°C at most.

I'm sure gravity plays effect.
    Also, it's pretty common to have one core differ.
    Looking at my highest temps achieved this uptime (46days):

Core #0 75°C
    Core #1 73°C
    Core #2 68°C
    Core #3 76°C

Note to self: Open window, turn case fans from lowest when running stress tests.

@ Xuvial:
    Yes or no. You won't need it, so there's no "point".
    It will be an improvement in temps, so there's a point.
    One 240 will be able to cool single CPU, single CPU no problem, but 360 should help alleviate and allow lower fan speeds.

(I also find it curious how our experiences differ so in regards to DirectCu II. I started out very disappointed, but I'm now thinking that it and the HDDs are the only noise levels I'm actually happy about these days. I might misremember, but I thought you were very psyched about it.
    OTOH, my GPU never goes above 70°C nor does the fan curve hit higher than 24% (only while gaming at the same time TV plugged in. Gaming single monitor is 18%).
    On the other hand, compared to the Windforce x2 GTX 460 I used to have, case temps have increased by a few degrees.
    But my overclocking results with it are very dissatisfactory, still.)

I get a difference like that with my 2500k between core #0 and core #1, and it's always been like that... back when I was using a Hyper 212+, and now with my Noctua NH-D14

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    One 240 will be able to cool single CPU, single CPU no problem, but 360 should help alleviate and allow lower fan speeds.
    ...bwuh? You meant GPU in both cases right?
    (I also find it curious how our experiences differ so in regards to DirectCu II. I started out very disappointed, but I'm now thinking that it and the HDDs are the only noise levels I'm actually happy about these days. I might misremember, but I thought you were very psyched about it.
    OTOH, my GPU never goes above 70°C nor does the fan curve hit higher than 24% (only while gaming at the same time TV plugged in. Gaming single monitor is 18%).
    On the other hand, compared to the Windforce x2 GTX 460 I used to have, case temps have increased by a few degrees.
    But my overclocking results with it are very dissatisfactory, still.)
    I don't exactly hate DcII design, I acknowledge that compared to any other cooler it's still one of the quietest and most effective. But like I said I've been spoilt for quietness and the definition of "quiet" can vary wildly from person to person, depending on how much noise they've had to put up with. ALL my fans run at the absolutely lowest RPM that the fan controller allows (just enough volts to keep them spinning I suppose) so when my GPU fan crosses 30% fan it starts to become audible - locking the fan speed at 25-30% has made it hit ~92c, too hot for my liking considering the sound card is sandwiched against the GPU :P. The noise doesn't even get to me that much, I've just got this personal thing "lets see how quiet we can get the rig while keeping temps low". Logically, watercooling is the next step. I've heard that the right fans, WC builds can run damn silent (bar noisy pumps) while still overclocking like a beast.

@Marest, it's normal. My Core 0 and 3 run the coolest while 1 and 2 run 5-8c higher. I don't know what causes it exactly but...well, yeah :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-05-02 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    ...bwuh? You meant GPU in both cases right?
    Blargh.
    I actually meant 1x CPU, 1x GPU.

Also, I think my GPU, aside from RAM and SSD are my least noisy components. That NH-D14, my Gentle Typhoon case-fans and my TX650 PSU drive me up the wall some evenings though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure some vacuum cleaners use Scythe GT's (or maybe Ultra Kaze's) haha :P

And a single 240 rad being able to cool both CPU and GPU? That's awesome. I could probably ditch the H100 after all and go with a 360 (top) + 140 (bottom) and that would be heaps. Could probably remove the front 200mm intake (who needs intake when you've got 2 radiators pulling in air). More quietness!
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-05-02 at 09:55 PM.

I'm convinced it would be enough. But like always, more fin area, less need of high fan speed.

360 + 140 would give you the option of, if PWM controlled, have the 140 stop completely during no loads.
    Make sure you select a quiet-ish pump!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm being convinced more and more to rip out the Sniper's inbuilt fan controller and replace it with a proper one because it lacks both individual fan RPM control and the ability to switch off fans completely.

Deleted
    I've been cursed with a "grinding" H80. The sound is driving me insane. Seriously, it sounds almost like an floppy; just more muffled. Easily the loudest thing in my computer.

I've send an e-mail to Corsair. Hopefully they will exchange it switfly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup Hydro series occasionally get pumps which grind, hopefully mine doesn't do that anytime soon.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    The pump in my CoolIT closed loop has an audiable whirr, no grind. It's probably more irritating than a grind.

Fortunately I can't hear it at work.

Also... I have two 140mm Noctua fans sitting in their boxes not being used, and I have no intention of using them. Who mad?
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Also... I have two 140mm Noctua fans sitting in their boxes not being used, and I have no intention of using them. Who mad?
    I have three I'm not using
    (found quieter fans to use in their place)

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad to see I'm not the only one with an increasing stockpile of fans lying around. Other than the 5 fans in my case currently, I've got a 200mm CM Megaflow, 2x 120mm CM Blademasters (god I love those) and 2x 120m Corsair Jet Fucking Engines.

It seems that all the good fans are non-LED especially the Slipstream Slim 120mm's that I so desperately want, which will end up setting me back something like $150 NZD for just THREE of them. Christ.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-05-03 at 12:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    hmm, pile of fans, i guess im not the only "i cant throw this away, i might need it later" person here

I'm that way with fans too. Even after I've determined a fan is too loud for my tastes, I still hang on to them for comparison reasons and/or if I need an extra fan temporarily.

I have the following fans I'm currently not using:
    3x Noctua NF-P14's
    2x Arctic Cooling F12 PWM (these are going back in once I set up my water cooling loop, thought I'd see what the hype was with the Gentle Typhoons... they're good, but I like these better for radiators/heatsinks... got 6 more of these on the way to do push/pull on my radiators)
    2x Yate Loon medium speed 120mm fans
    1x Noctua NF-P12
    1x Cooler Master BladeMaster
    1x Cooler Master Sickleflow Blue LED
    1x Enermax Magma (this is my third favorite of all the fans I've used, behind the F12 PWM and the Cougar Vortex fans I'm using in my case currently)
    A couple 80mm fans I don't remember the brand of (basically go to Frys and buy the cheapest 80mm fans there)

---------- Post added 2012-05-02 at 10:08 PM ----------

/sigh @ Fedex... my watercooling stuff was supposed to be delivered today. I didn't leave the house all day long, not once has the doorbell rang. I just checked the status and it now says "Delivery exception: customer not available or business closed" @ 9:52PM (apparently it left for delivery at 9:56AM).

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ
    Last edited by Adappy; 2012-05-03 at 03:09 AM.

How can you just have them stored somewhere?!
    They are the most attractive fans there are! Put them on display on your desks or something.

Poor Noctua fans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    hmm, pile of fans, i guess im not the only "i cant throw this away, i might need it later" person here
    Have a pile too. Scythe GT's. Some Corsair and Cooler Master 120-200mm. Mostly 120mm's. No-names of other sizes. And it feels like always when I need to put another fan into a configuration, none of the ones I have will do! So the pile just keeps on growing.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    How can you just have them stored somewhere?!
    They are the most attractive fans there are! Put them on display on your desks or something.

Poor Noctua fans.
    Argh dey ugleh xD Even inside the case with no window I feel the disturbance! But you got to appreciate the warranties, accessories and probably a genuine give-a-damn they have about their products.
    Last edited by Wries; 2012-05-03 at 09:13 AM.

Argh dey ugleh xD Even inside the case with no window I feel the disturbance! But you got to appreciate the warranties, accessories and probably a genuine give-a-damn they have about their products.
    Plus the enamel badge they package with their heatsinks actually looks like it is worth sticking to the case, instead of a bit of glossy sticky-back plastic.