Graphics card (duh?)
    reference cooled 6970 (doesn't look long enough for a 5970 or a 6990)
    AMD/ATI design the reference board, I think SMTC build the whole card thing
    don't know
    anti-static wristband. It is green because there were no other colours in stock when you bought it.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-07-26 at 11:25 PM. Reason: how close did I get? :D

10+ Year Old Account
    GPU
    Reference AMD 5870
    AMD
    ASUS
    Wristband for Dreamhack
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Reference AMD 5870
    meh, they are all black boxes with a red cooler at one end.

I'll give you the unedited picture Sunday at the very latest. Promise!

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Sorry to steal your thunder Tetris...

MSI TF3 7950 $309 (after rebate)

I might actually consider one of these for my soon-to-come-into-being new rig.

Back for Tetris:
    1. GPU
    2. Reference 7970
    3. AMD
    4. MSI
    5. Anti-static wrist band. Green for the color of money.

Also, nice argyles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

I have recommended that specific card before (but you don't have access to those posts I suppose!), and will continue to do so.
    Argyles really is underrated.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    It wasn't so much the recommendation as the noticing of the price.

$309 (US) is relatively cheap, especially being an aftermarket cooler on the piece.

I must say, I am really excited for my build coming up. $1800 (US) budget, free W7 Pro 64 bit and hopefully routing cabling for an ethernet port into my room.

Next thing to do is build my desk. It shall have a custom drawer for the case along with a recess for a drink holder.

Before anyone says anything, yes, the copy of W7 is legit. My college offers it for free to computer science majors.
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm calling it quits and going for some Corsair fans (2xSP120 Quiet for H100, 2xAF120 Performance for case) and some Prolimatech paste because it seems to be a top performer. I need to re-seat my H100 and take my GTX580 apart to clean it up and re-apply the new paste. Yay for new paste!
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Rules::
    • Tell me what kind of product I'm holding in my hand.
    • Tell me what the products name/classification is. (IE, commonly acknowledged name)
    • Tell me, if any, what company manufactures these. (IE, develops the tech)
    • Tell me the sub-brand of the product. (IE, stickers)
    • Tell me what the heck it is I'm wearing around my wrist and why it is green! (the colour-answer can be as silly as you like)
    1. it's a GPU, not to be confused with CPU
    2. it's a Radeon 6970 commonly acknowledged as "junk"
    3. it will always be ATi to me
    4. not HIS, Sapphire, or XFX, but 100% reference in design, more specifically it looks like the Cayman XT initial release, rev 1.0
    5. it's a anti static wrist band, and it is green because the material it is made out of is absorbing all of the light waves except for blue and yellow, these bounce off and hit your eye generating a signal to your brain that you are seeing blue-yellow aka green
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2012-07-27 at 02:21 PM.

1. it's a GPU, not to be confused with CPU
    Isn't it technically a graphics card, the GPU being the shiny chip seated in the middle of the PCB?
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-07-27 at 03:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Isn't it technically a graphics card, the GPU being the shiny chip seated in the middle of the PCB?
    the device as a whole is a GPU, the shiny chip is referred to as the GPU CPU, or the CPU of the GPU

Hey guys was wondering if someone could answer something for me? Well my friend went and bought an alienware when I told him I would help him with a build but he told me he would rather buy an alienware but basically he ignored what I told him. Well he spent 2.4k and the processor they put in was this: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3820. Now what I'm wondering is if this chip is a complete rip off compared to say and i5-2500k/3570k? Overall he got ripped off in my opinion but I'm not going to make him feel bad about it.

Deleted
    It's a SB-E chip. To answer your question: both yes and no. For gaming the 3570k is the better choice, but it's not like the 3820 is bad in any way. It has a larger L3 cache and HT.

For that 2.4k I hope he got a good setup though as a good x79 motherboard and a 3820 is only around $600 or so. What GPU(s) did he get? SSDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    It's a SB-E chip. To answer your question: both yes and no. For gaming the 3570k is the better choice, but it's not like the 3820 is bad in any way. It has a larger L3 cache and HT.

For that 2.4k I hope he got a good setup though as a good x79 motherboard and a 3820 is only around $600 or so. What GPU(s) did he get? SSDs?
    Yeah imo he was ripped off as he ordered it without even asking me what parts etc. to get. Here's what he told me he got:
    2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3820 (10M Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1 GHz), 8GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz, 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2TB Serial ATA 3 Hard Drive, Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium. Also has watercooling but I haven't seen the computer yet so I will find out exactly what kind of cooling setup he has. Also he did not get a SSD and well for 2.4k he should of got a 7970 or a gtx 680 but he went ahead without asking what to get. Also he bought some logitech speakers, a Dell S2230MX which they charged him $220 for when I looked it up on amazon for $150 and a one year warranty. Honestly I think he was ripped off but he is not very computer knowledgeable and was ignorant to what I suggested he should do. I even showed him my setup and a another setup I built for a friend a month ago.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

Should be getting this any time. I'll finally have a proper surge protector.

When I get the chance, I'll upgrade/add/whatever, a proper UPS to the equation. Had too much of a scare yesterday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    Sorry to steal your thunder Tetris...

MSI TF3 7950 $309 (after rebate)
    Damn.... $310 is NOT bad for a 7950 such as this. O_o
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Yeah imo he was ripped off as he ordered it without even asking me what parts etc. to get. Here's what he told me he got:
    2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3820 (10M Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1 GHz), 8GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz, 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2TB Serial ATA 3 Hard Drive, Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium. Also has watercooling but I haven't seen the computer yet so I will find out exactly what kind of cooling setup he has. Also he did not get a SSD and well for 2.4k he should of got a 7970 or a gtx 680 but he went ahead without asking what to get. Also he bought some logitech speakers, a Dell S2230MX which they charged him $220 for when I looked it up on amazon for $150 and a one year warranty. Honestly I think he was ripped off but he is not very computer knowledgeable and was ignorant to what I suggested he should do. I even showed him my setup and a another setup I built for a friend a month ago.
    the watercooling is an OEM Asetek unit, think of the Antec Kuhler H2O 920

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey Marest you're coming to Dreamhack winter? (Nov 22-25.) Seating tickets start selling 1st of August

edit: nope nevermind, deltrus absolutely wants me to make this into a thread so he can get a higher post count <3

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

Should be getting this any time. I'll finally have a proper surge protector.

When I get the chance, I'll upgrade/add/whatever, a proper UPS to the equation. Had too much of a scare yesterday morning.

Damn.... $310 is NOT bad for a 7950 such as this. O_o
    For $310 "all" you can get in Denmark is a 7850, damn taxes!
    Last edited by inux94; 2012-07-27 at 11:17 PM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

The limiting factor is others upload speed. People and many servers don't have high enough upload
    &nbsp;

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    The limiting factor is others upload speed. People and many servers don't have high enough upload
    Yeah, isn't an Intel Gigabit Ethernet port, literally speaking for itself, essentially? Like it can do up to about 1000Gbit? And I believe a CAT 5e Ethernet cable can do up to 300mbit, if I remember right. Alas, it seems we are still stuck dealing with slow internet because of what tetrisGOAT said and also what our providers would deem okay for us to have. =/

---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 11:29 PM ----------

Large mess of external cables....

Meet YOUR DOOM. I am ARMED.

Who can name/guess the most items in the first picture? :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Silly power outlets in the states, they need to cheer up like the scandinavian

Armory