15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Network drivers should be native in Windows 7, or close enough for you to get online and then download the exact ones.
    For every other driver, download them post-install.
    Wasn't true with either asrock- extreme6 or pro3. I couldn't access internet before I had installed the latest LAN drivers from asrock website. Don't know if it's asrock specific problem or what but that was the case with both boards.

If you don't have another pc to browse internet with and want to play it safe, you can download the driver from your motherboard manufacturer's website. Can save it on a usb thumb drive if you have one.

Hm. Has worked fine for my Gigabyte P55A-UD3, my ASUS notebook, my old Acer notebook (Vista) and my friends' notebook (HP). Very well then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Wasn't true with either asrock- extreme6 or pro3. I couldn't access internet before I had installed the latest LAN drivers from asrock website. Don't know if it's asrock specific problem or what but that was the case with both boards.

If you don't have another pc to browse internet with and want to play it safe, you can download the driver from your motherboard manufacturer's website. Can save it on a usb thumb drive if you have one.
    same was the case with my gigabyte 990fxa ud3 so would be a good idea to make sure you have either access to internet or have it saved beforehand

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post

same thing with my R4E, with 7 i had to manually install network drivers, my assumption is that newer boards are too new for the drivers that come with W7, W8 does not have this problem

OT, i've been modding the crap out of skyrim:

continuing screenshot album

93 mods in total so far

10+ Year Old Account
    Textures aren't exactly mind-blowing compared to something like Crysis 2 + MaLDoHD, but I like the amount of AA applied. Seeing the images at full scale = still no jaggies, nice.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Textures aren't exactly mind-blowing compared to something like Crysis 2 + MaLDoHD, but I like the amount of AA applied. Seeing the images at full scale = still no jaggies, nice.
    honestly i think skyrim is just too big to bring to to the level of crysis 2 + maldohd, mainly because crysis is a linear shooter, and skyrim is a sandbox, so as a single project it definitely too big for a single person or even a small team, so the other method is the current one, where multiple people handle different areas with different mods, the problem is that some areas never get touched, and there is inconsistent results

For you Europeans, there is a really nice offer at a Finnish store..
    ENGTX680 DC2OC

As far as I recall, they ship the products fast and to a long range.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirv3s View Post
    For you Europeans, there is a really nice offer at a Finnish store..
    ENGTX680 DC2OC

As far as I recall, they ship the products fast and to a long range.
    Actually made a thread for posts like that recently: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ad-Daily-Deals!

10+ Year Old Account
    speaking of which, MaLDoHD still has some major issues, despite what he thinks, it's not final, i can't exactly set a good resolution here:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    speaking of which, MaLDoHD still has some major issues, despite what he thinks, it's not final, i can't exactly set a good resolution here:
    As far as I know stay away from his "configurator" (or whatever it's called) tool which allows you to change graphical settings beyond the scope of the game.

A fresh install could also fix your stuff. It's Crysis 2 as a game which is bugged up the butt, I did a reinstall > Install DX11 patch > Install the texture pack provided by Crytek. And THEN I installed MaLDoHD.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know stay away from his "configurator" (or whatever it's called) tool which allows you to change graphical settings beyond the scope of the game.

A fresh install could also fix your stuff. It's Crysis 2 as a game which is bugged up the butt, I did a reinstall > Install DX11 patch > Install the texture pack provided by Crytek. And THEN I installed MaLDoHD.
    hmm, i'll have to try that, i already had the fun of calling EA this morning because i've run out of activations on my crysis 2 key

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    So apparently routers bottleneck modems? I didn't realize that. Recently, we were having problems with our Linksys WRT160N router, which is a few years old now and noticed that our connection speed wasn't maximizing what our ISP lists our connection at. Since a few mobile devices like laptops were constantly losing their signals from the router, my dad decided to replace it. Being the iSheep that he is, he bought an Apple Airport Wireless N Dual Band router and once it was setup, it increased everyone's network and download speeds by 65%. I went from getting a 10Mbs download speed on Speedtest to 28.41Mbs after the router was replaced and I am connected to the network the same way I was before, on a Powerline connection (works great by the way).

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a 300 mbps wireless capable router. The "bottleneck" was the wireless interface on the previous router.

Anyone familiar with PHP and willing to help me out a bit? Preferably through Steam chat so I can ask some questions? It's beginner stuff.

Me.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a 300 mbps wireless capable router. The "bottleneck" was the wireless interface on the previous router.
    The wireless should bottleneck, but not a 100Mb wired connection, which is what happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The wireless should bottleneck, but not a 100Mb wired connection, which is what happened.
    most home routers are not very good, you gotta stop and think that they are taking the functions of several dedicated devices and putting them into a single unit, and on top of that, they are doing it as cheap as possible

there is a reason i built my own router

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    most home routers are not very good, you gotta stop and think that they are taking the functions of several dedicated devices and putting them into a single unit, and on top of that, they are doing it as cheap as possible

there is a reason i built my own router
    gimme howto

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    gimme howto
    i was originally going to, but there are already tons of guides for building your own PFSense router, the problem is that while PFSense is probably the best routing OS on the market, you really need to know your shit, i've got tons of networking and security knowledge, but i still scratch my head on a few things and end up having to call my friend

so the best i could do is a hardware guide:
    find an industrial grade M-ITX board with a Mini-PCIe slot, dual Intel NICs and an atom D510 or D525 (good luck, embedded solution companies dont talk to consumers) I used this one: http://www.emersonnetworkpower.com/e...mpMITX440.aspx

next, find an Atheros 5000 series wifi card
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATHEROS-AR5B...item51a266c429

then get your antennas:
    http://store.netgate.com/24-GHz-5-dB...G-P126C42.aspx

and your connecting wires:
    http://store.netgate.com/UFL-to-RP-S...e-P255C95.aspx

then all you need is a case, PSU, 4GB RAM, and an SSD (high IOPS caching one)

i would suggest a nice HTPC case made out of aluminum so you can drill holes for the wifi antennas, as well as something that looks premium to show off how good that router really is, and a pico-psu if the case doesn't include one, you also need a good Gbe switch, look at cisco, and dont pay less then about 70$, the cheap ones crap out after a few months

in total you could do this for about $200, but i would suggest spending more on the $400 range for quality parts, if done right you will have:
    high power no BS router that laughs at you when your ISP says to reboot it
    high speed fast 802.11G wifi with RADIUS capability
    proxy cache web accelerator
    network wide ad-block and malicious site filter
    home VPN server
    industry grade IDS/IPS for preventing bots, dos/ddos, trojans and worms, as well as would be hackers on your wifi

you can also do with with a consumer board, but the industrial ones are industrial for a reason

oh, and as for a case, i would look at something like this:
    http://www.minicase.net/product_E-Q8.html#param
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2012-12-21 at 10:21 PM.

Bought a meter to check how much power my computer draws.
    Overclocked CPU (i5-760), overclocked GPU (GTX 680), 4x DIMMs of RAM, four drives (SSD, Mech, Mech, Opt), keyboard with extra USB for USB-hub, mouse, external harddrive, wired Xbox controller, while charging phone, camera and headphone amp (Fiio e5) through USB.
    Running Unigine heaven (realistic gaming load)

Peak from the wall, 317w. Non-bronze but 80+ PSU (first TX650). For simplicity, I'll take the 50% load number of 86% (230VAC).
    So internally, it draws 272.62w (=42%), meaning I have roughly 377.38w to spare until I hit 650w internally - which it should be able to handle with overload.

Idle, ~91w (while all those peripherals and charging are plugged in). This is less than 20%, so its efficiency plummets below the 82% efficiency at 20%, but I'll take 82% anyway, and I get 74.62w, meaning it's close to approaching 10% draw idling, which is way too low.

In short, I need a bigger PSU so I can get more FPS.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, my computer under load runs probably around 200 watts or so, kinda amusing since my parents complain about me leaving it on when I am not using it. Well it idles less then the old family desktop we had and it's a million times more powerful.