If the LCD panel isn't totally effed, then you can use it to make a beamer or one of those electronic picture frames.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Buy some mirrored glass, hang in bathroom and use it as a mirror?
    I'm not sure what the computer would actually bring to the whole "mirror" experience, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Use it as a HTPC or a server of some kind.
    HTPC is the go-to thing, but it's honestly too loud for it. Also, between my Raspberry and main rig I'm pretty covered on that front. Server is something to play around with but for what purpose? It's not very powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    or get a new screen, they aren't hard to replace
    Certainly not, but too expensive. I don't need a laptop really.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I said skateboard, he said nuh-uh!
    Probably the best suggestion so far.

Oh if that is the case I guess maybe a "stjärtlapp" would be more fitting.

On a more serious note, if the hardware is fully working what about a tellstick server?
    Here down in Skåne we have like... no hills and mostly no snow. Tellstick server was not a bad idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    If the LCD panel isn't totally effed, then you can use it to make a beamer or one of those electronic picture frames.
    It's totally dead. I get flashes of light on occasion.

Well, that's a relief. Strange noise was coming from the area around my PSU, kinda like what a fly sounds like when it is trying to get out of the room and keeps hitting the window with its wings, that kind of intermittent rattly buzz. I was a bit worried there, but it turns out it was a sweet wrapper trapped between the dust filter and the desk and the air flow into the PSU was making it rattle.

Oh the joys of discovering my new MSI 680 Lightning already has the unlocked LN2 bios. Yay not having to flash anything (not that it would've been hard).

This thing is a friggin beast. Tax return time FTW.

Also got my Coolermaster Storm Trooper. I was the least abrasive case aesthetically to my eyes that had a handle, but it actually looks way better in person than in the pics.
    Last edited by nbm02ss; 2013-01-17 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Oh the joys of discovering my new MSI 680 Lightning already has the unlocked LN2 bios. Yay not having to flash anything (not that it would've been hard).

This thing is a friggin beast. Tax return time FTW.

Also got my Coolermaster Storm Trooper. I was the least abrasive case aesthetically to my eyes that had a handle, but it actually looks way better in person than in the pics.
    Does yours OC well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I'm seriously confused with PWM and non-PWM fans. See, I plugged a single Corsair SP120 fan (3pin) to my CPU fan header (4pin) but no matter what the CPU temp was, the bugger kept spinning at 1370rpm in my hand. The whole time, from startup to a P95 run. So it seems the CPU fan header is unable to slow the fan down based on CPU temp, but the fan that came with my Hyper212 (CM Blademaster 120mm) has a 4-pin connector and that thing adjusted it's speed really well.

Soooo what this means is that I need to find a way to connect the 4th pin to my SP120's somehow. I mean come on, these fans were made to cool radiators! They can undervolt just fine, I've had them spinning at all sorts of low speeds all this time, so I see absolutely no reason why the CPU fan header can't slow it down??? What does the 4th pin DO exactly that can't be done with 3 (or even 2) pins?

I was originally planning to use a fan splitter to connect both SP120's (H100) to the CPU fan header on the mobo, but if they keep spinning at max speed that sorta defeats the purpose (plus they get a bit loud). No, connecting them to the H100 unit itself is a bad idea because they keep spinning at max RPM's no matter what.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-01-17 at 11:14 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

The SP120 are not PWM, if you want to control their speed you do it with voltage control and not PWM signals. There is really nothing you can do to make them PWM controlled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation

The 4th pin is the one controlling the PWM signal and based on that signal the fan changes it speed.

You will have to use some kind of program or your fan speed setting in BIOS to control the SP120s.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Ok I'm seriously confused with PWM and non-PWM fans. See, I plugged a single Corsair SP120 fan (3pin) to my CPU fan header (4pin) but no matter what the CPU temp was, the bugger kept spinning at 1370rpm in my hand. The whole time, from startup to a P95 run. So it seems the CPU fan header is unable to slow the fan down based on CPU temp, but the fan that came with my Hyper212 (CM Blademaster 120mm) has a 4-pin connector and that thing adjusted it's speed really well.

Soooo what this means is that I need to find a way to connect the 4th pin to my SP120's somehow. I mean come on, these fans were made to cool radiators! They can undervolt just fine, I've had them spinning at all sorts of low speeds all this time, so I see absolutely no reason why the CPU fan header can't slow it down??? What does the 4th pin DO exactly that can't be done with 3 (or even 2) pins?

I was originally planning to use a fan splitter to connect both SP120's (H100) to the CPU fan header on the mobo. No, connecting them to the H100 unit itself is a bad idea because they keep spinning at max RPM's no matter what.
    The fourth pin is indeed the one that is used to tell a fan how fast to spin, my noctuas on the CPU header spin at 1260 RPM no matter what I do in the Asus fan control software because they are 3 pin, not 4. One of these days I'll remember to put that resistor in to slow them down (although they aren't loud as it is right now).

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm I used to think that the CPU header simply undervolted the fan as necessary. So the PWM signal is something different (without getting into the physics of it :P).
    The SP120 are not PWM, if you want to control their speed you do it with voltage control and not PWM signals. There is really nothing you can do to make them PWM controlled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation

The 4th pin is the one controlling the PWM signal and based on that signal the fan changes it speed.

You will have to use some kind of program or your fan speed setting in BIOS to control the SP120s.
    Thanks for this. I think the Chassis fan connectors have the ability to undervolt according to the case temperature, I'll playing around with that tomorrow.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php can sometimes control fan speed with voltage regulation, it really depends on your motherboard.
    You can have the fans adjust to any temperature sensor the program manages to read.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

What motherboard are you using again? Using some fan software, you can adjust the speed of the fan from within said software. You may also be able to adjust it in the BIOS, perhaps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sabertooth P67, it's got some features n' stuff which I'll dig into later.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-01-17 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    One of these days I'll remember to put that resistor in to slow them down (although they aren't loud as it is right now).
    I did that recently! Added resistors to my NH-D14 and to my exhaust fan (the intake fan is on a built in switch). I can't believe how much quieter my PC is now!
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-01-17 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    Does yours OC well?
    Not sure yet; just got it yesterday and wanted to verify it had the unlocked voltage on the 2nd bios. I might try it this weekend.

I actually would've ended up with the 7970 version but it only supports single link DVI without a displayport to dual-link DVI adapter and screw spending an additional $100 bucks just so I can run my monitor at 120hz.

Not sure yet; just got it yesterday and wanted to verify it had the unlocked voltage on the 2nd bios. I might try it this weekend.

I actually would've ended up with the 7970 version but it only supports single link DVI without a displayport to dual-link DVI adapter and screw spending an additional $100 bucks just so I can run my monitor at 120hz.
    That is pretty lame.

That is why monitors need to stop having HDMI and DVI to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I need the DVI on my shimian
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

So switching from the NZXT Phantom to the Coolermaster Storm Trooper seems to have been worth it. Card now idles at 25C where yesterday it was at 34-35C. Plus it's quieter since I no longer have to listen to those damned cheap ass 200mm fans rattling. I also swapped the stock Corsair fans on my H70 for some Scythe Gentle Typhoons.

So switching from the NZXT Phantom to the Coolermaster Storm Trooper seems to have been worth it. Card now idles at 25C where yesterday it was at 34-35C. Plus it's quieter since I no longer have to listen to those damned cheap ass 200mm fans rattling. I also swapped the stock Corsair fans on my H70 for some Scythe Gentle Typhoons.
    I got about the same result when I recently switched from a Fractal Design Define R2 to Silverstone Fortress FT02.

My CPU went down from high 30's when idle to 25-26c and my GPU went from 45ish to 29c.

Only problem now is that I need to get a new PSU since my cables are a bit too short for any kind of proper cable management and the positioning of the PSU made me even more aware of the annoying sound from the ball bearing in the fan.

Your monitors don't support displayport?