I don't understand how so many ISPs can have caps, I don't think there is a single ISP in Sweden that has a usage cap unless we are talking mobile connections.
    Are companies really that greedy when the government aren't controlling stuff?

$10/GB, I bet your ISP pays like $0.1/GB.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    I don't understand how so many ISPs can have caps, I don't think there is a single ISP in Sweden that has a usage cap unless we are talking mobile connections.
    Are companies really that greedy when the government aren't controlling stuff?

$10/GB, I bet your ISP pays like $0.1/GB.
    Probably more like $0.001/GB

10+ Year Old Account
    They've got the monopoly, bought the seacable for themselves.

http://translate.google.com/translat...d-hoeje-priser
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    they don't pay for GB at all, data usage is not a precious resource, it's not like a layer 3 switch grows old and dies after so much data has crossed through it, data caps are purely to make profit, its a way to control people so they can overbook on bandwidth

Data caps are actually rather terrifying. I'm quite saddened that government hasn't placed basic restraints on ISPs as to what kind of game they're allowed to play, considering how big of a fucking deal the internet is, as a medium for the population to connect to each other, yet is stifled by fear of data caps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Data caps are actually rather terrifying. I'm quite saddened that government hasn't placed basic restraints on ISPs as to what kind of game they're allowed to play, considering how big of a fucking deal the internet is, as a medium for the population to connect to each other, yet is stifled by fear of data caps.
    most people in governments are too old and too disconnected to understand how important and far reaching the internet is, at least not until crowds start showing up outside the front door

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    most people in governments are too old and too disconnected to understand how important and far reaching the internet is, at least not until crowds start showing up outside the front door
    Sadly too many Americans think:

A. They have the best internet in the world.
    B. Data on the internet is in fact a limited resource.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Agreed, data caps are a load of bull shit that the companies only get away with, because the politicians either don't know what the internet is, or just don't care.
    More likely bought out by companies to keep their mouths shut/appear internet-stupid.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    More likely bought out by companies to keep their mouths shut/appear internet-stupid.
    I'd wager that it's something like this. For me personally it's not too much of an issue when it comes to bandwith since I got 500gb and even with my internet I dont burn through it that quickly as long as I'm paying attention, though it's not hard since it counts both uploads and downloads, and I get taken to 256kbps til it resets. I think it's BS that I have to pay $85 for this though.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    I'd wager that it's something like this. For me personally it's not too much of an issue when it comes to bandwith since I got 500gb and even with my internet I dont burn through it that quickly as long as I'm paying attention, though it's not hard since it counts both uploads and downloads, and I get taken to 256kbps til it resets. I think it's BS that I have to pay $85 for this though.
    If for some reason caps must exist, at least 500gb would be a reasonable amount for 2013.

When people are given 50gb caps a month though is where it starts getting criminal.

Let's not bring the discussion toward too much in-depth politics or corruption though.
    Lobby for better deals, make petitions. Offer feedback to the ISPs. You can't change it alone, but you can make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    If for some reason caps must exist, at least 500gb would be a reasonable amount for 2013.

When people are given 50gb caps a month though is where it starts getting criminal.
    I agree. Though even then they should be able to provide at least decent speeds, since I live in aus I have experienced how really dreadful our broadband network can be, its ridiculous.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Hey, this is neat.

This is madness.

Now what useful things can one do with this?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Yeah, pretty sure Comcast isn't a total bad guy in the case of caps, I believe my monthly cap is 250GB.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    This is madness.

Now what useful things can one do with this?
    Things like:

CPU: i5 2500k
    Mobo: Sabertooth Z77
    RAM: Dominator Platinum

Etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Things like:

CPU: i5 2500k
    Mobo: Sabertooth Z77
    RAM: Dominator Platinum

Etc.
    GeForce Titan
    "A flower.

Hey this is cool

I should stop showing you my tricks.

I'm sure you got plenty more tricks we dont know about.