... American prices are moronic. ._.
    With those prices, GTX 770 is a better deal.

In Sweden, the 280X is a better deal, it costs 10-20% less than the GTX 770 and is a better GPU. But for those prices? Yuck.

Deleted
    Yeah I play bf4 and wow mostly plus I got 1 day shipping for $4 so I figured why not just get the 770. I like the 280x and have nothing against and but the 2 asus products I've owned so far have both had problems so i think I'll try my luck with evga

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    ... American prices are moronic. ._.
    On Komplett and Webhallen the average aftermarket GTX770 is priced at ~2800kr which converts to $430 USD, while 280X are slightly cheaper at ~$410-420 (same as of USD price of 280X).
    I'm thinking 770 prices haven't cascaded down to that country yet, but at least we know which place has the moronic prices :P
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    On Komplett and Webhallen the average aftermarket GTX770 is priced at ~2800kr which converts to $430 USD, while 280X are slightly cheaper at ~$410-420 (same as of USD price of 280X).
    I'm thinking 770 prices haven't cascaded down to that country yet, but at least we know which place has the moronic prices :P
    Cheapest 770 -- 2687 SEK or 412.85 USD
    Cheapest 280x -- 2485 SEK or 383.10 USD

Given
    a) 25% MOMS (mervärdesskatt / VAT), which I believe is not present in at least the price listings at Newegg, maybe not even something that the Americans pay at all, so, at *.8 it becomes 330.28 and 306.48 USD respectively for the two cards.
    b) The SEK is increasingly becoming stronger and stronger toward the USD, which makes these comparisons more and more skewed. I think it was >11:1 SEK:USD in 2011, now it's 6.4866:1. The stronger the SEK will become, the more USD the conversion rate will become without becoming relatively more expensive here compared to other living expenses - probably the other way around in fact. I should just convert all my SEK to USD once they become 1:1

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, that was only of those that were actually in-store. There is a 280x shortage in Sweden as well, there were cheaper offerings not in-store.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    In Sweden, the 280X is a better deal, it costs 10-20% less than the GTX 770 and is a better GPU. But for those prices? Yuck.
    If you are only buying a GPU, perhaps. If you're buying a video card however.. well

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    If you are only buying a GPU, perhaps. If you're buying a video card however.. well
    Well, as in, still being so? Yes. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Careful, every time someone brings that up on the internet AMD card prices go up by 0.1% :S

Given that the 280X cards are HD 7970s with a different sticker...

15+ Year Old Account
    I got the chance to talk to one of Dell's tech programmers(not sure but exact title) for their cloud based soctware. We have a pretty nice talk, I was mostly liked talking about the gaming capabilities about it. But it seems like we are still a far away from actually really doing it nicely. Though other companies might have better ways dealing with it. I went for some work thing, but a lot of the stuff ended up being over my head, I understood it mostly though.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

15+ Year Old Account
    I might have to buy another 780. :/ Assassin's Creed 4 is giving me gray hair, runs so poorly.. Also thinking about getting a new higher impedance, open design headphones to go along with my Xonar STX. Perhaps in the 200-500€ range, any suggestions?

Depends what you already have? K/Q 701 or HD650 are good to start with, sounding quite different.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might have to buy another 780. :/ Assassin's Creed 4 is giving me gray hair, runs so poorly.. Also thinking about getting a new higher impedance, open design headphones to go along with my Xonar STX. Perhaps in the 200-500€ range, any suggestions?
    Dunno if buying another 780 is the best solution, last I checked the scaling wasn't the greatest.

As for headphones...jee that's a pretty large bracket. A short list:
    Sennheiser HD600, HD650
    HiFiMan HE400, HE500
    AKG K701, K702
    BeyerDynamic DT880, DT990
    Grado SR325i, PS500, RS2i
    Shure SRH1440
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2014-01-12 at 01:48 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I have a pair of older Sennheiser HD280 Pro's at the moment which are quite good for their price but the head pad is starting to wear down. I was looking to replace it but then started thinking maybe I wanna get a new ones altogether. They are also closed-back with tight grip so they tend to start feeling heavy after longer periods.

So I figured I should keep these if I ever needed the isolation and noise cancelling and get a different type ones with open design and more comfort for my daily use. Also, if I'm perfectly honest, since the HD280's are rated for 64 ohms the sound card isn't doing me much over onboard audio at the moment.

And I know there's quite a lot of good ones out there especially with wider budget. Was more asking if anyone has personal opinion about a specific model that hits the sweet spot of actually delivering something and not just ending up costing shit tons of money more then I really needed to spend. Then shortly after realizing how silly of me that was seeing how uptight the audiophile community can be when it comes to these things. I mean, "this 2k speaker setup surely must be better then the 1k one since it costs so much more money!".

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I haven't personally owned any of the ones listed, but I've heard nothing but good things about the Sennheiser and HiFiMan cans. So I'd probably recommend looking into those before the others.

Also, if I'm perfectly honest, since the HD280's are rated for 64 ohms the sound card isn't doing me much over onboard audio at the moment.
    Errm...you can get a headphone amp for like $10-15, all it does is increase the amplitude of the signal. The signal ITSELF is what you are paying for with the Xonar STX, that sound processor + op-amps + caps aren't there just for show :P they are doing 95% of the work. Then all that finally goes through a simple amplifying circuit which gives it a boostie.

I think you've vastly over-estimating the importance of impedance/amping.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2014-01-12 at 02:56 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Errm...you can get a headphone amp for like $10-15, all it does is increase the amplitude of the signal. The signal ITSELF is what you are paying for with the Xonar STX, that sound processor + op-amps + caps aren't there just for show :P they are doing 95% of the work. Then all that finally goes through a simple amplifying circuit which gives it a boostie.

I think you've vastly over-estimating the importance of impedance/amping.
    Well as far as sound processing on the sound card side goes, it's hardly relevant seeing how powerful today's CPU's are anyway relative to the workload of sound processing. The headphone op-amp on the STX is nice but nothing that special either (if I recall correctly it costs like $3-5).

Now in the end it all does help and improve the sound quality to some extent but, and this is what I meant originally considering the impedance, since the STX has relatively high output impedance (~10Ω) compared to say, onboard audio, it doesn't work quite as well with lower ohm headphones. To my understanding, what this means in the end is, you lose some lower end frequencies which makes the bass slightly lacking and muddy. Then again I'm not that experienced with this matter and am only repeating what I've read but the basic principal with STX and headphones seems to be you'll wanna pick a higher impedance ones for the better overall experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might have to buy another 780. :/ Assassin's Creed 4 is giving me gray hair, runs so poorly..
    That's because it's a cheap console port, totalbisuit did a review on it and it chugged on his SLI Titan system with certain settings.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    That's because it's a cheap console port, totalbisuit did a review on it and it chugged on his SLI Titan system with certain settings.
    I seems to be running pretty good for me.

I see the cool stuff at ces, but it makes me think, how much cool things really was used last year?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Check your gpu loads before buying a 2nd 780. It will be pointless if you cant get a single 780 at 50% then you'll just have the exact same performance :P
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Going back to the headphone chat for a sec: I love my HE-400s. A bit heavy compared to something like the Grados, but what planar magnetic headphone isn't at least a little heavy? (the HE-400 is 440g)

SQ is lovely, though amping is definitely recommended. They just gobble up power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously considering to already ditch the 350D + asrock Z87m extreme4 and go for a fractal Node 304 + msi z87i gaming ac.