Yea, no. I have had severe mistrust of wowhead and their sense on ads (pun intended) since around Mid-late cataclysm I think. The rest of the site has also been on a steady decline. The one reason I sometimes revisit? Comments. Those are often invaluable. But sometimes not even there on more obscure things.
    Leaving the site open in the background, even with the same addon you mentioned makes my memory usage soar. Chrome itself using up 8 GiB ram across all its split executables.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    On wowhead, uBlock Origin just blocked...

>3k

Are you fucking kidding me?! That website has lost its shit. They are not the website they once were.
    I wonder if that's an outlier or average for wowhead. The problem with dynamic ad networks in general is that all it takes is on malicious ad to just wreck havoc on an otherwise trustworthy site (not wowhead in particular, but in general). I run with javascript heavily locked down (NoScript on my desktop) or completely shut off (on my phone), I'm just unwilling to take that risk. If I'm curious about a site I may temporarily unblock a few specific domains, but if I have to unlock more than a handful to get basic functionality, f-it, viewing that website isn't worth it.

I mean, you wouldn't download exes off any website (or the ads on a website) and run them without a very good reason, right? That's basically what your browser does with javascript.

For all the convenience and power of the modern web, I kind of miss when sites were a little clunkier but far, far less bloated with garbage.

Oh, and circling back to wowhead, I think some of those could be explained as tracking cookie/scripts/etc and not necessarily ads - but that's not better, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Leaving the site open in the background, even with the same addon you mentioned makes my memory usage soar. Chrome itself using up 8 GiB ram across all its split executables.
    How much CPU is it using? Using an excessive amount of RAM isn't great, but I think it doing something CPU intensive (like a script mining bitcoin :P) would be worse.

Yea, I have tried adding as many manual filters against mining as possible. The thing that uses the most cpu when my computer is doing nothing is probably battlenet-browser, ie the movie that plays in the battlenetapp
    Of course, I often leave the computer on in the winter as a heat source, so msi kombustor draws the very most.

Since I only have 12 GiB of RAM, chrome would be unusable while gaming in general anyway. I need more, but RAM prices.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, I have tried adding as many manual filters against mining as possible. The thing that uses the most cpu when my computer is doing nothing is probably battlenet-browser, ie the movie that plays in the battlenetapp
    Of course, I often leave the computer on in the winter as a heat source, so msi kombustor draws the very most.

Since I only have 12 GiB of RAM, chrome would be unusable while gaming in general anyway. I need more, but RAM prices.
    How many Chrome tabs are you using lately?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Right now? Four. 64% of memory used (total, not chrome alone)

Right now? Four. 64% of memory used (total, not chrome alone)
    Wait, 4 tabs and Chrome is using 8gb of RAM? What the shit? Could it be an addon/extension issue? It's been a while since I've used Chrome, but that seems completely out of whack.

[edit: For comparison, with 12 tabs open in Firefox, its only using 1.8gb total. Even playing a 1080p video doesn't significantly affect those numbers. I would not be surprised if a significant portion of that RAM is being consumed by background javascript. A while ago, I'd browse mmo-champ during lunch at work, but it would just bog down Firefox (no access to NoScript for reasons). I'd literally have a single tab open to mmo-champ and RAM usage would spike to 500gb+. Disabling javascript entirely fixed that problem, but now I refuse to come here on my work PC.]

The BattleNet launcher has constantly playing videos now? *long sigh*

Gotcha. I'm actually running on 32gb (machine was built in 2013, iirc), and I honestly can't even recall a time I ever even hit 50% usage.

...I'd still be tempted to do it again. Upgrading to a machine with less RAM would feel weird, and running low on RAM sucks. I fall into the future proof / future resistant trap of a mindset.
    Last edited by Alindra; 2018-02-17 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    Wait, 4 tabs and Chrome is using 8gb of RAM? What the shit? Could it be an addon/extension issue? It's been a while since I've used Chrome, but that seems completely out of whack.
    Well, like I said, total system usage, not Chrome alone. But regardless, Chrome is using a helluva lot. And since I want to use Wow (3~GiB) and dual-box wow (another 3~GiB) whilst having Windows running? Not gonna happen.

The BattleNet launcher has constantly playing videos now? *long sigh*
    They released a new shop-mount, so this one is shown animated continuously.

Gotcha. I'm actually running on 32gb (machine was built in 2013, iirc), and I honestly can't even recall a time I ever even hit 50% usage.

...I'd still be tempted to do it again. Upgrading to a machine with less RAM would feel weird, and running low on RAM sucks. I fall into the future proof / future resistant trap of a mindset.
    Goals. I haven't upgraded in a long time (financial reasons on the GPU-side, and not wanting to "upgrade" within DDR3 for RAM) but I am looking to jump on board with Threadripper 2, or maybe even Zen-2. I am sitting on a 4770K and the only thing that really makes me want to upgrade is M.2 slots and DDR4, since I want to buy more RAM.
    Also, a new GPU since the GTX 680 ain't exactly new, even though it handles WoW fine, I'd like something that handles newish titles better. That I of course play. *nods*

Speaking of nothing, emissary caches are a good way to earn legendaries.
    Apparently.
    (now 56 across 14 110s, making it an even 4 on average! yay numbers-obsession)

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, I usually play with <40 ms, but I was uploading in the background.
    &nbsp;

Well, like I said, total system usage, not Chrome alone. But regardless, Chrome is using a helluva lot. And since I want to use Wow (3~GiB) and dual-box wow (another 3~GiB) whilst having Windows running? Not gonna happen.
    Ah, I totally overlooked the "total" part, my bad! I'm currently sitting at 5.5gb total between 12 Firefox tabs, Steam, and Windows 8, so I'd be able to run 2 copies of WoW if I had 12gb, but it'd be pretty tight.

They released a new shop-mount, so this one is shown animated continuously.
    Y'know, I get that they have to make money and ads are a part of that, but playing videos in a launcher that people probably aren't going to be looking at while gaming is disrespectful. It's a minor thing, but it's annoying.

(I haven't booted up BattleNet since I quit WoW mid EN, so I'm a little out of the loop there. I still peruse the changes and stuff on the front page, though. Played WoW for so long that I'm still curious the direction Blizzard will take it.)

Goals. I haven't upgraded in a long time (financial reasons on the GPU-side, and not wanting to "upgrade" within DDR3 for RAM) but I am looking to jump on board with Threadripper 2, or maybe even Zen-2. I am sitting on a 4770K and the only thing that really makes me want to upgrade is M.2 slots and DDR4, since I want to buy more RAM.
    Also, a new GPU since the GTX 680 ain't exactly new, even though it handles WoW fine, I'd like something that handles newish titles better. That I of course play. *nods*
    Hah, your system is very similar to mine (3770k vs your 4770k, and I have a 680 as well), and I've been eagerly awaiting what AMD announces for Zen 2. I'd be lying if I said the Threadripper line wasn't appealing, but even I recognize it'd be overkill for my needs.

I want a new GPU, too. I actually have a handful of games on Steam that I want to play, but I want to play with the full graphics experience that I can't get right now. So they sit idle in my library. Boo. Also, goddamn miners. :P

Speaking of nothing, emissary caches are a good way to earn legendaries.
    Apparently.
    (now 56 across 14 110s, making it an even 4 on average! yay numbers-obsession)
    You lucky bastard!

I never even got a single Legendary before I quit.

Ah, I totally overlooked the "total" part, my bad! I'm currently sitting at 5.5gb total between 12 Firefox tabs, Steam, and Windows 8, so I'd be able to run 2 copies of WoW if I had 12gb, but it'd be pretty tight.
    I'm sitting at 8GB in active use with 10GB cached and 14 unused.

Currently running WoW, Firefox (10 tabs), discord, outlook, slack, skype and battle net launcher.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2018-02-17 at 09:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    the battlenet launcher only plays when its in the foreground

10+ Year Old Account
    Passmark is shit benchmarking software.

Next.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people still use that anyways

10+ Year Old Account
    Takes one idiot to ruin it for people =\

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay folks, especially @Remilia and @Artorius, my trusty Samsung S34E790C has been losing power lately on occasion, I have to unplug it and plug it back in at the UPS to get it to work again. I have my keyboard, mouse, USB power for my Schiit WYRD (which feeds the DAC/AMP), and webcam all plugged into this. Only one of these is fine to have cut out at any given time, I am sure you guys can guess which.

Naturally I'm realizing I probably should start considering my options for next monitor...

Debating on staying curved or going flat (and smaller), due to photo-editing and practicality. I love this thing, don't get me wrong. I'd love to get another 34" curved, but I really want some checkboxes, checked. I'm not convinced my options are all that great. What do you guys think? HDR would be neat.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you care about being somewhat future-proof regarding media consumption, the only real option is to get a UHD monitor with HDR and wide-gamut. Keep in mind HDR on windows is a total gimmick at the moment, it can work but it either makes everything else look wrong or requires exclusive full-screen mode.

If photo editing is important, I'd recommend getting a flat panel. Something with 10bit and AdobeRGB support would be nice but not exactly required. sRGB photos are fine. For photo editing IPS panels are nice since they're usually very consistent across the entire panel regardless of the viewing angle.

I don't really know which models to recommend, but something from either Dell or Eizo (if you have the money) will most likely work well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, Windows HDR is pretty bad atm. Also not a lot of good HDR monitors.

For photo editing, you could kind of look at any Eizo Color Edge monitor. CG2730 is really good.
    For HDR the UP2718Q is... okay. Has some viewing angle problems but it does use a full array light dimming for the panel.
    Something a bit cheaper you can look at UP2516D.

10+ Year Old Account
    But without a 10 bit gpu I'm kind of fucked on 10 bit displays. :/

- - - Updated - - -

Note that I truly love the VA panel and its contrast. It wrecks most any IPS I've ever seen.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could always call up Eizo and hope you can order a CG3145. Sure it'll cost you the equivalent of 25-30 of your old monitor but it'd be better. It'll also have a true HDR support without FALD gimmicks and truly great contrast.
    There aren't really that many VA panel monitors nowadays though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, while VA TVs are still as popular as ever. Only really Samsung still consistently sells VA monitors, and they don't exactly have a wide range of good models.

10+ Year Old Account
    BenQ still does VA panels also but they don't really market it.

Also completely didn't see this review the first go around on prad for some reason. @DeltrusDisc
    BenQ EX3501R is actually a decent VA monitor. Has a better base set up than your current monitor though the actual measured static contrast is a bit lower than Samsung's (2000:1~ vs 2200:1). It does also have 100Hz refresh rate. The HDR advertised for it is useless.