1. #10661
    Keyboard Turner
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    0
    Yeay a computer chat!

  2. #10662
    One of my co-workers on the team took the day off work and got married today. Didn't mention it to anybody, just dropped a picture of him as his new wife and said "I'll see you guys tomorrow". It's a pretty big contrast from many of my friends who sink $100k+ in to a huge party and then complain that saving for retirement is hard.

  3. #10663
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Momoko
    Posts
    14,250
    Sounds like my parents.

    So... any alternatives or whatever. Currently thinking.
    Honda Clarity Plug-in Hybrid
    $33,400 base.
    -$7,500 tax credit
    -$5,000 state rebate (California).
    Making it $20,900

    vs comparable cars in that price range either with or without the tax credits / rebates.
    Going for relatively clean / practical car.

  4. #10664
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    18,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Sounds like my parents.

    So... any alternatives or whatever. Currently thinking.
    Honda Clarity Plug-in Hybrid
    $33,400 base.
    -$7,500 tax credit
    -$5,000 state rebate (California).
    Making it $20,900

    vs comparable cars in that price range either with or without the tax credits / rebates.
    Going for relatively clean / practical car.
    Nah, you need dis.
    http://www.motortrend.com/cars/acura...-drive-review/
    Mining ZEC
    [email protected] | Noctua NH-D15 | eVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 [email protected] core - 12.5GHz VRAM | eVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 | 32GB DDR4 | 256GB NVMe | 775GB SSD | 7TB HDD | SeaSonic 750w 80+ Titanium PRIME | Fractal Design Define R4
    Samsung 34" 3440x1440 Curved | Schiit MODI 2 + ASGARD 2 | Schiit WYRD | Sennheiser HD 598 | Presonus Eris E5x2 | KRK 10S Subwoofer | Shure BETA 58A Microphone

  5. #10665
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Momoko
    Posts
    14,250
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Too expensive. D:

  6. #10666
    So... any alternatives or whatever. Currently thinking.
    Honda Clarity Plug-in Hybrid
    $33,400 base.
    -$7,500 tax credit
    -$5,000 state rebate (California).
    Making it $20,900

    vs comparable cars in that price range either with or without the tax credits / rebates.
    Going for relatively clean / practical car.
    Assuming you ~20k sticker price is what you want to pay your don't really have a lot of options for 4 door mid-sized cars. The obvious stuff like the Toyota Corolla is always going to be there. If you can get 33% off through tax rebates (and you have sufficient taxed income that you can actually claim them all) then I think that's going to be tough to beat. I'm sure you've already look at the obvious alternatives like a regular Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla, and hybrid/electric options like the Toyota Prius and found them lacking. There isn't much to compete here, especially if you want a mid-sized sedan that'll hold full size adults in the back.

    I'm sort of in the market for a new car too and I'm about to be out of stock lock-out so I could even act on it assuming everything doesn't go to hell after our next SEC filing (which it probably will, that always happens for every company)

    On the one hand, I don't really like cars that much and that's a lot of money to spend. On the other hand, I do want to keep sitting at the cool kids table at lunch time. More seriously, I kinda feel like I might be getting a bit old for sport bikes and the Porsche club at work is at the racetrack every other weekend so I'd still have friends to hang out with. Good condition 993s sell for about the same as a new 911 but I suspect the older car will hang on to its value a lot better. For something you only drive a few times a month I think being 'old school' might be a good thing.

  7. #10667
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Momoko
    Posts
    14,250
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Assuming you ~20k sticker price is what you want to pay your don't really have a lot of options for 4 door mid-sized cars. The obvious stuff like the Toyota Corolla is always going to be there. If you can get 33% off through tax rebates (and you have sufficient taxed income that you can actually claim them all) then I think that's going to be tough to beat. I'm sure you've already look at the obvious alternatives like a regular Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla, and hybrid/electric options like the Toyota Prius and found them lacking. There isn't much to compete here, especially if you want a mid-sized sedan that'll hold full size adults in the back.
    Yeah, looked at the obvious Civic / Corolla. Current is an old Civic anyways, so going from Civic to Civic wouldn't be weird.
    We should be able to get the full tax credit and at least the rebate is static.
    I'm sort of in the market for a new car too and I'm about to be out of stock lock-out so I could even act on it assuming everything doesn't go to hell after our next SEC filing (which it probably will, that always happens for every company)

    On the one hand, I don't really like cars that much and that's a lot of money to spend. On the other hand, I do want to keep sitting at the cool kids table at lunch time. More seriously, I kinda feel like I might be getting a bit old for sport bikes and the Porsche club at work is at the racetrack every other weekend so I'd still have friends to hang out with. Good condition 993s sell for about the same as a new 911 but I suspect the older car will hang on to its value a lot better. For something you only drive a few times a month I think being 'old school' might be a good thing.
    Not a huge car person either, my knowledge on cars is limited to when I need to look for one or my cousin who absolutely loves cars.
    I just want something functional and fuel economical. Generally speaking don't really like driving to begin with.

    Also I'll just go to the nerd corner during lunch, lol.

  8. #10668
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    18,303
    On wowhead, uBlock Origin just blocked...

    >3k

    Are you fucking kidding me?! That website has lost its shit. They are not the website they once were.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2018-02-16 at 12:33 AM.
    Mining ZEC
    [email protected] | Noctua NH-D15 | eVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 [email protected] core - 12.5GHz VRAM | eVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 | 32GB DDR4 | 256GB NVMe | 775GB SSD | 7TB HDD | SeaSonic 750w 80+ Titanium PRIME | Fractal Design Define R4
    Samsung 34" 3440x1440 Curved | Schiit MODI 2 + ASGARD 2 | Schiit WYRD | Sennheiser HD 598 | Presonus Eris E5x2 | KRK 10S Subwoofer | Shure BETA 58A Microphone

  9. #10669
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    13,800
    Yea, no. I have had severe mistrust of wowhead and their sense on ads (pun intended) since around Mid-late cataclysm I think. The rest of the site has also been on a steady decline. The one reason I sometimes revisit? Comments. Those are often invaluable. But sometimes not even there on more obscure things.
    Leaving the site open in the background, even with the same addon you mentioned makes my memory usage soar. Chrome itself using up 8 GiB ram across all its split executables.

  10. #10670
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    On wowhead, uBlock Origin just blocked...

    >3k

    Are you fucking kidding me?! That website has lost its shit. They are not the website they once were.
    I wonder if that's an outlier or average for wowhead. The problem with dynamic ad networks in general is that all it takes is on malicious ad to just wreck havoc on an otherwise trustworthy site (not wowhead in particular, but in general). I run with javascript heavily locked down (NoScript on my desktop) or completely shut off (on my phone), I'm just unwilling to take that risk. If I'm curious about a site I may temporarily unblock a few specific domains, but if I have to unlock more than a handful to get basic functionality, f-it, viewing that website isn't worth it.

    I mean, you wouldn't download exes off any website (or the ads on a website) and run them without a very good reason, right? That's basically what your browser does with javascript.

    For all the convenience and power of the modern web, I kind of miss when sites were a little clunkier but far, far less bloated with garbage.


    Oh, and circling back to wowhead, I think some of those could be explained as tracking cookie/scripts/etc and not necessarily ads - but that's not better, imo.

    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Leaving the site open in the background, even with the same addon you mentioned makes my memory usage soar. Chrome itself using up 8 GiB ram across all its split executables.
    How much CPU is it using? Using an excessive amount of RAM isn't great, but I think it doing something CPU intensive (like a script mining bitcoin :P) would be worse.

  11. #10671
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    13,800
    Yea, I have tried adding as many manual filters against mining as possible. The thing that uses the most cpu when my computer is doing nothing is probably battlenet-browser, ie the movie that plays in the battlenetapp
    Of course, I often leave the computer on in the winter as a heat source, so msi kombustor draws the very most.

    Since I only have 12 GiB of RAM, chrome would be unusable while gaming in general anyway. I need more, but RAM prices.

  12. #10672
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    18,303
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Yea, I have tried adding as many manual filters against mining as possible. The thing that uses the most cpu when my computer is doing nothing is probably battlenet-browser, ie the movie that plays in the battlenetapp
    Of course, I often leave the computer on in the winter as a heat source, so msi kombustor draws the very most.

    Since I only have 12 GiB of RAM, chrome would be unusable while gaming in general anyway. I need more, but RAM prices.
    How many Chrome tabs are you using lately?
    Mining ZEC
    [email protected] | Noctua NH-D15 | eVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 [email protected] core - 12.5GHz VRAM | eVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 | 32GB DDR4 | 256GB NVMe | 775GB SSD | 7TB HDD | SeaSonic 750w 80+ Titanium PRIME | Fractal Design Define R4
    Samsung 34" 3440x1440 Curved | Schiit MODI 2 + ASGARD 2 | Schiit WYRD | Sennheiser HD 598 | Presonus Eris E5x2 | KRK 10S Subwoofer | Shure BETA 58A Microphone

  13. #10673
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    13,800
    Right now? Four. 64% of memory used (total, not chrome alone)

  14. #10674
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Right now? Four. 64% of memory used (total, not chrome alone)
    Wait, 4 tabs and Chrome is using 8gb of RAM? What the shit? Could it be an addon/extension issue? It's been a while since I've used Chrome, but that seems completely out of whack.

    [edit: For comparison, with 12 tabs open in Firefox, its only using 1.8gb total. Even playing a 1080p video doesn't significantly affect those numbers. I would not be surprised if a significant portion of that RAM is being consumed by background javascript. A while ago, I'd browse mmo-champ during lunch at work, but it would just bog down Firefox (no access to NoScript for reasons). I'd literally have a single tab open to mmo-champ and RAM usage would spike to 500gb+. Disabling javascript entirely fixed that problem, but now I refuse to come here on my work PC.]

    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Yea, I have tried adding as many manual filters against mining as possible. The thing that uses the most cpu when my computer is doing nothing is probably battlenet-browser, ie the movie that plays in the battlenetapp
    The BattleNet launcher has constantly playing videos now? *long sigh*

    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Since I only have 12 GiB of RAM, chrome would be unusable while gaming in general anyway. I need more, but RAM prices.
    Gotcha. I'm actually running on 32gb (machine was built in 2013, iirc), and I honestly can't even recall a time I ever even hit 50% usage.

    ...I'd still be tempted to do it again. Upgrading to a machine with less RAM would feel weird, and running low on RAM sucks. I fall into the future proof / future resistant trap of a mindset.
    Last edited by Alindra; 2018-02-17 at 03:07 AM.

  15. #10675
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    13,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    Wait, 4 tabs and Chrome is using 8gb of RAM? What the shit? Could it be an addon/extension issue? It's been a while since I've used Chrome, but that seems completely out of whack.
    Well, like I said, total system usage, not Chrome alone. But regardless, Chrome is using a helluva lot. And since I want to use Wow (3~GiB) and dual-box wow (another 3~GiB) whilst having Windows running? Not gonna happen.


    Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    The BattleNet launcher has constantly playing videos now? *long sigh*
    They released a new shop-mount, so this one is shown animated continuously.



    Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    Gotcha. I'm actually running on 32gb (machine was built in 2013, iirc), and I honestly can't even recall a time I ever even hit 50% usage.

    ...I'd still be tempted to do it again. Upgrading to a machine with less RAM would feel weird, and running low on RAM sucks. I fall into the future proof / future resistant trap of a mindset.
    Goals. I haven't upgraded in a long time (financial reasons on the GPU-side, and not wanting to "upgrade" within DDR3 for RAM) but I am looking to jump on board with Threadripper 2, or maybe even Zen-2. I am sitting on a 4770K and the only thing that really makes me want to upgrade is M.2 slots and DDR4, since I want to buy more RAM.
    Also, a new GPU since the GTX 680 ain't exactly new, even though it handles WoW fine, I'd like something that handles newish titles better. That I of course play. *nods*

    Speaking of nothing, emissary caches are a good way to earn legendaries.
    Apparently.
    (now 56 across 14 110s, making it an even 4 on average! yay numbers-obsession)

    - - - Updated - - -

    And yes, I usually play with <40 ms, but I was uploading in the background.

  16. #10676
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Well, like I said, total system usage, not Chrome alone. But regardless, Chrome is using a helluva lot. And since I want to use Wow (3~GiB) and dual-box wow (another 3~GiB) whilst having Windows running? Not gonna happen.
    Ah, I totally overlooked the "total" part, my bad! I'm currently sitting at 5.5gb total between 12 Firefox tabs, Steam, and Windows 8, so I'd be able to run 2 copies of WoW if I had 12gb, but it'd be pretty tight.

    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    They released a new shop-mount, so this one is shown animated continuously.
    Y'know, I get that they have to make money and ads are a part of that, but playing videos in a launcher that people probably aren't going to be looking at while gaming is disrespectful. It's a minor thing, but it's annoying.

    (I haven't booted up BattleNet since I quit WoW mid EN, so I'm a little out of the loop there. I still peruse the changes and stuff on the front page, though. Played WoW for so long that I'm still curious the direction Blizzard will take it.)

    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Goals. I haven't upgraded in a long time (financial reasons on the GPU-side, and not wanting to "upgrade" within DDR3 for RAM) but I am looking to jump on board with Threadripper 2, or maybe even Zen-2. I am sitting on a 4770K and the only thing that really makes me want to upgrade is M.2 slots and DDR4, since I want to buy more RAM.
    Also, a new GPU since the GTX 680 ain't exactly new, even though it handles WoW fine, I'd like something that handles newish titles better. That I of course play. *nods*
    Hah, your system is very similar to mine (3770k vs your 4770k, and I have a 680 as well), and I've been eagerly awaiting what AMD announces for Zen 2. I'd be lying if I said the Threadripper line wasn't appealing, but even I recognize it'd be overkill for my needs.

    I want a new GPU, too. I actually have a handful of games on Steam that I want to play, but I want to play with the full graphics experience that I can't get right now. So they sit idle in my library. Boo. Also, goddamn miners. :P

    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Speaking of nothing, emissary caches are a good way to earn legendaries.
    Apparently.
    (now 56 across 14 110s, making it an even 4 on average! yay numbers-obsession)
    You lucky bastard!

    I never even got a single Legendary before I quit.

  17. #10677
    Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    Ah, I totally overlooked the "total" part, my bad! I'm currently sitting at 5.5gb total between 12 Firefox tabs, Steam, and Windows 8, so I'd be able to run 2 copies of WoW if I had 12gb, but it'd be pretty tight.
    I'm sitting at 8GB in active use with 10GB cached and 14 unused.

    Currently running WoW, Firefox (10 tabs), discord, outlook, slack, skype and battle net launcher.
    Last edited by Butler Log; 2018-02-17 at 09:53 AM.
    Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951PRO nVME 512GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Crucial MX200 1TB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic X850

    Former author of the TankSpot.com Protection Paladin guide

  18. #10678
    Bloodsail Admiral gegalfo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,110
    the battlenet launcher only plays when its in the foreground

  19. #10679
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    18,303
    Passmark is shit benchmarking software.

    Next.
    Mining ZEC
    [email protected] | Noctua NH-D15 | eVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 [email protected] core - 12.5GHz VRAM | eVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 | 32GB DDR4 | 256GB NVMe | 775GB SSD | 7TB HDD | SeaSonic 750w 80+ Titanium PRIME | Fractal Design Define R4
    Samsung 34" 3440x1440 Curved | Schiit MODI 2 + ASGARD 2 | Schiit WYRD | Sennheiser HD 598 | Presonus Eris E5x2 | KRK 10S Subwoofer | Shure BETA 58A Microphone

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •