Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    So, here's the update because I think I failed to inform you all...

My internship came to an end and I am basically unemployed, because my coffee shop has been more or less ignoring me for the past few months. =/

On the bright side, I will be taking the A+ certification and studying for the Network+, but my now former supervisor from this internship has leads on another entry level position at a different credit union in their IT department, so we will see!
    Good luck with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I've been considering buying a farm - nothing big, just 20-40 acres or so. The goal would be to turn enough profit to cover property tax and leave the extra cash with the people doing the planting/harvesting(whom I'd hire). I don't want be a farmer, I just want a bunch of land between me and the rest of the world. Finding information on how to go about doing this has been surprisingly difficult.

I'll be in Washington next week - some quiet time away from home to wander museums and such.
    Owning a farm and being a responsible owner.
    Need more of that.

Might need like, a lawyer with possible regulation laws or something? I have no clue either.

@evn, I hope you have fun sir!
    @Remilia, thank you! ^_^
    [email protected] | Noctua NH-D15 | eVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 [email protected] core - 12.5GHz VRAM | 32GB DDR4 | 256GB NVMe | 1.75TB SSD | 7TB HDD | SeaSonic 750w 80+ Titanium PRIME | Fractal Design Define R4
    Samsung 34" 3440x1440 Curved | Schiit MODI 2 + ASGARD 2 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Presonus Eris E5x2 | KRK 10S Subwoofer | Shure BETA 58A Microphone

Canon 7D Mark II | 24-70mm f/2.8 L II IS USM | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS USM | 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM MACRO | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM | Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art | Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Sport

Thought you guys would appreciate this.

24 days of up-time on my computer and 20.5GB of RAM being actively used. Ahhhh. I love this system. Soooo much more stable than my old Sandy Bridge i5-2500k Windows 7 system.
    [email protected] | Noctua NH-D15 | eVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 [email protected] core - 12.5GHz VRAM | 32GB DDR4 | 256GB NVMe | 1.75TB SSD | 7TB HDD | SeaSonic 750w 80+ Titanium PRIME | Fractal Design Define R4
    Samsung 34" 3440x1440 Curved | Schiit MODI 2 + ASGARD 2 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Presonus Eris E5x2 | KRK 10S Subwoofer | Shure BETA 58A Microphone

Canon 7D Mark II | 24-70mm f/2.8 L II IS USM | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS USM | 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM MACRO | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM | Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art | Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Sport

I don't want to be the guy that's fun at parties but 24 days isn't exactly anything close to impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I don't want to be the guy that's fun at parties but 24 days isn't exactly anything close to impressive.
    Yeah. I do recall having an up-time of 70 days one time. I'll get there.

Unless I take my computer to the LAN party at my college this Friday.

Anyways, which of you have taken the A+ certification exam relatively recently?

^ I did that when I was in high-school so nothing I know know about it will matter today. Back then it was the sort of thing where you could buy an "exam cram" book and pass the test with a weekend of study provided you were a bit of a nerd. I also got an MCSE+i despite not actually using Windows the same way, I have no idea if the certifications are more rigorous now and that was nearly 20 years ago.

http://www.pearsonitcertification.co...spx?ser=340082

Hm, anyone know of a decent bluetooth mouse with onboard memory for macro (at least 2 profiles)? New laptop has arrived and realized that I don't really have a wireless bluetooth mouse. Yes it does have USB-A, just don't want to populate it / have a dongle sitting there that I forget exists.

Otherwise I'm looking at Logitech G603 as it fits the bill for the most part (except for the 2+ profiles).
    Last edited by Remilia; 2018-10-10 at 09:27 AM.

Doing some random testing today, regarding how much better it would be to simply use AVC/HEVC/VP9/AV1 or fucking whatever decent video coding you prefer for images too instead of using the good old JPGs... HEIF supports both AVC and HEVC and AVIF is supposed to make it able to accept AV1 bitstreams too. So why not compare and see how much better that would be?

Anyway, after testing a single test sample ([email protected] PNG of an anime screenshot) and at completely arbitrarily low bitrates, at ~75KB, AVC was giving me a PSNR about 4dB higher than JPEG, HEVC was ~8dB higher and AV1 was whooping 10dB higher.

But you can't trust PSNR completely, so running SSIM for those gave me 0.9479 for JPEG, 0.9770 for AVC, 0.9883 for HEVC and 0.9906 for AV1.

This was done running both x264 and x265 at the veryslow preset (which is supposed to reasonably give you the best results), and libaom at default settings. Since giving them a constant bitrate parameter for a single frame was apparently broken (even when setting it to 1fps or any other arbitrary number), tweaking CRF settings was somewhat okay enough to get the bitrates within each other.

The extremely unscientific conclusion is that JPEGs are as dumb was GIFs at this point, the AV1 encode was 6x better (on a peak signal to noise ratio measurement) for the same filesize at that specific arbitrary amount.

And because I suck and I want to post the same part of the image countless times so you guys really see it, here it goes:

Reference (PNG @ 1833KB):

JPEG @ 78.9KB

AVC @ 75.8KB

HEVC @ 77.2KB

AV1 @ 75.4KB

Sending them all as PNGs for ease of viewing.

TLDR: Use gifv (mp4) or webm (mkv) for your animated "images" instead of gifs. And jpegs are as dumb but you have no choice because heif isn't widespread and putting them on fully featured matroska containers would be dumb.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2018-10-12 at 11:42 PM.

Doubt you'll see heif anywhere anytime soon. Gif by nature only is 8bit / 256 colors, so it's going to always have crappy quality. JPG by nature is a compressed file anyways, even if it doesn't make sense, like an entire white background will still see some compression artifacts. That said, that JPG's compression was pretty bad, though yes it is arbitrarily low as you put it.

The closer to the lossless / png reference would be AV1 for certain details however soft edges were lost like around the character outline but the stone's detail was kept intact where as HEVC the opposite occurs where it's more fuzzy. Neither are perfect really but better I suppose. Comparison between HEVC and AV1 however varies a lot for content iirc. So taking one image isn't really a good comparison. Granted it's not meant to be scientific but overall they're comparable.
    I'd still keep files as PNGs and please make sure to have compression on PNGs. It's a DEFLATE compression so it's still lossless but it does take longer to save the image, especially when working with bigger files. (Do note I'm not really talking about videos at this point, :P). My hobby is really with illustration related stuff, it's why I have like 300k files saved up.

As for animated image alternative, there is actually a thing called APNG / Animated PNG. It's just you know, no one uses it. Firefox plays it fine iirc and believe Edge should too, no idea about chrome. It is essentially a stacked images but with PNG like a GIF file. File size is however absurdly huge since it's additive with all the file size you shove onto it.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2018-10-12 at 09:47 PM.

If I remember correctly Apple is fully adopting HEIF now on their new operating systems, it's even the default container, and probably saving HEVC bitstreams.

Yeah, you can control the lossless compression in PNGs, and as you said the only difference is the time to actually write it since you'll lose more time computing the compression. JPEG can look fine if you give it enough bitrate, 75KB was pretty random and in order to conclude anything half correctly we'd need to test a greater variety of images with different characteristics. So far I did test this same Yuna screenshot for 30KB, 75KB, 160KB, 250KB and 360KB.

It's still a single sample, so completely unscientific, but anyway:

Which clearly shows what we expect, the differences diminish as you increase the bitrate and at some point any of the video encoders (x264, x265 and libaom) would eventually reach something really close to transparency.

It's also somewhat important to remember most people on mpeg are also on libaom and there isn't really a codec war. Commercial devices are unlikely to get away from the mpeg codecs but AV1 should theoretically see some widespread usage in web streaming soon™.

And on top of that, VVC is being worked on and seems promising, even if HEVC hasn't completely replaced AVC yet.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2018-10-12 at 11:44 PM.

Back in the land of horrible communism: I think I'm going to spend the day cleaning my AR-10 to try and make the feeling of freedom last just a little bit longer. There were a surprising number of "don't try and take your pot across the border" signs at the crossing which was kind of funny. I'm curious how that plays out next week.

I'd do that trip again, though I think I've picked up some sort of sickness. Traveling on my own meant I could spend as much time doing whatever I wanted (basically, just hanging out in museums) without anybody telling me they were bored or that we had to go eat. All totaled I walked just under 100 miles (153km) over the week, avoided over-eating, but did eat at trash-tier restaurant chains (which I love unironically) to get that full American experience.