Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    Haha thats cool, i never played vanilla, but the ele shaman tree doesnt seem to have changed alot over the years :P
    The only spell power and intelligence mail in Vanilla came from Molten Core and Blackwing lair, or if you were lucky enough to find a leather worker who had the blue dragonscale recipes. So if you did decide to be elemental you'd be prancing with 4k mana while the priests and mages in the same level gear had 6k, so if you were serious about elemental you had to wear cloth.

But lets not mince words here, if you did attend a raid as a shaman in vanilla the only button you'd be pressing for the entire time was lesser healing wave or you'd be /guildkicked same for anyone else who had a heal button regardless of spec or equipment. Vanilla was complete fail and I'm glad that it's gone.
    Last edited by mmoc25957a140e; 2012-03-09 at 08:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember our shadow priest back in Naxx went wand spec for fun and did comparable dps to his normal rotation. This was back when increased spell damage of a specific element also buffed the damage of wands if wands were associated with that element (so shadow wands raped for shadow priests). He was the only shadow priest I knew to raid back then, and he was damned good at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    I remember how utterly crap Arcane was for mages back then... "Wand specialization" ...

I was already "controversial" in daring to be a fire mage for raiding...
    I remember it being pretty much mandatory to spec into the disc 'wand specialization' talent when leveling and questing as a priest. Good lord, what a clusterfuck some of these old talent trees were...

---------- Post added 2012-03-09 at 08:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sorceress View Post
    The only spell power and intelligence mail in Vanilla came from Molten Core and Blackwing lair, or if you were lucky enough to find a leather worker who had the blue dragonscale recipes. So if you did decide to be elemental you'd be prancing with 4k mana while the priests and mages in the same level gear had 6k, so if you were serious about elemental you had to wear cloth.

But lets not mince words here, if you did attend a raid as a shaman in vanilla the only button you'd be pressing for the entire time was lesser healing wave or you'd be /guildkicked same for anyone else who had a heal button regardless of spec or equipment. Vanilla was complete fail and I'm glad that it's gone.
    SO true, and it remained true most of the way through TBC as well - spell mail was all geared for healing (back when +spell damage and +healing were separate stats) and we had no spirit->hit conversion, so to be properly capped for spell hit and damage you pretty much HAD to wear mage/lock cloth. But there WERE a few of us who pulled it off no matter how much everybody else said 'lolemental'.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wand spec was OP. Seriously, it was OP. Basically bugged. Last time it was around, it worked like, 5 points was 25% increase from whatever the wand damage was. Before that, it would be like:
    -1 point: 105% wand damage.
    -2 points: 110% wand damage + 105% wand damage.
    -3 points: 115% wand damage + 110% wand damage + 105% wand damage
    -and so on.
    It probably didn't get caught too fast as wand spec looked useless as hell, and nobody put points there.

I used to spec as a disc priest due to the mana regen and pool. Buffing spirit single target was a pain. My other guild member priests always went holy. Not many people will remember the original warrior and warlock talents. They were the first class to get a fix patch in June 2005 I think. Soul Link used to be a temporary buff and warriors would lose rage if they missed a swing. Both classes were useless as tits before 1.4, and then they ended up being the two most powerful classes for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Muoteck View Post
    Here's pretty detailed calculator containing talent trees from patches in vanilla - wotlk period. Class and patch selection is on the left. It's funny to see how they had no idea about how they want some spec to work for quite a while.

http://www.wowprovider.com/Old.aspx?talent=1124125_11
    Oh thanks for the link. I can spend all night looking at them xD

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Daring wouldn't be the word. Stupid is more like it. Most bosses in MC and BWL were immune to fire damage which is why frost was the raid spec back then. Fire only became viable in AQ & Naxx.
    Fire was still better on heavy fire resist fights compared to frost, even if you were alone to keep ignite up.
    Fire build was as good as frost on fire immune mobs. [elemental build 0/31/20]

We played a different game I think. That situation was since very early MC times, you required proper gear though, not lame T1.
    Spellpower blues + offspec items ftw

Too many just had no clue.
    Last edited by Sorcereria; 2012-03-09 at 09:05 PM.

Deleted
    1. The talents were shit, but fun
    2. I liked the customize you could do, Gives some weird builds which was fun.
    3. Give me back that customize feature, And keep these talents and i'll be happy

Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    I remember it being pretty much mandatory to spec into the disc 'wand specialization' talent when leveling and questing as a priest.
    I leveled my Priest as Holy from 10 to 60. Wand Spec probably saved my life!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quesium View Post
    1. The talents were shit, but fun
    2. I liked the customize you could do, Gives some weird builds which was fun.
    3. Give me back that customize feature, And keep these talents and i'll be happy
    I do miss some of the more oddball custom builds in TBC - shockadins come to mind, or elemental mages (half fire/half frost spec) or panzerkin.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=1...32d50500323000

This was my spec. I do not miss specs like this. At all.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Oh God, how I miss these old talent trees... the warrior ones were amazing.

I remember all these! They were so good!

I kinda miss this talent system

Tbh some of the versatility has been lost and classes are streamlined now.

Say for example hunters back then actually had a few <decent> melee attacks in the Survival tree which made them a bit o a ranged/close combat hybrid. Now every hunter spec feels the same... maybe except BM which is like a watered down more automated version of SV and MM.

Heck I think a lot of people would of loved to see a shaman getting a proper tanking spec. That would of really added some "new blood" to the game.

It's obvious things changed and the more time passes the more similar classes will become. Hopefully things will change and "fun" will be added back to the classes. I remember when rogues actually had a profession of their own - lockpicking - which you had to level up and you could even use to open gates for dungeons or raids(kara). That was a fun and rewarding experience. I hope each class will gain more of these unique things that separate them one from the other. Personally I miss hunter ammo (not only did it make sense but it was something to look forward to). Heck that ammo could have gone on and become something a hunter could build for himself and have ammo with different effects (like a % chance to stun/freeze/debuff etc). So many ideas lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    It's obvious things changed and the more time passes the more similar classes will become. Hopefully things will change and "fun" will be added back to the classes. I remember when rogues actually had a profession of their own - lockpicking - which you had to level up and you could even use to open gates for dungeons or raids(kara). That was a fun and rewarding experience. I hope each class will gain more of these unique things that separate them one from the other. Personally I miss hunter ammo (not only did it make sense but it was something to look forward to). Heck that ammo could have gone on and become something a hunter could build for himself and have ammo with different effects (like a % chance to stun/freeze/debuff etc). So many ideas lost.
    Don't forget poisons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Don't forget poisons.
    I keep trying to forget... I swear, I wasted materials making 10 times more poisons to level the skill than I ever ended up actually USING.

Deleted
    Outdamaging raid equipped guys in blues was fun.
    Doing more damage then pure dps as a healing disc priest just by using a wand was golden.
    Healer rotations were fun, they seperated the wannabees from the pros.
    Had Warrior and Priest back then, loved the skilltrees.
    Beeing able to outdamage everyone (I mean realy everyone, even better equipped other classes) on a very well populated server as MS, while everyone specced furor was the pure definition of choice.
    I tried a pure DPS disc spec with my priest once and outdamaged all the warlocks. Good times.

Way to complex for most people, but very good times.

PS. Yeah, many specs were just not doable. But I would take broken trees over simplification every time.

http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=1...31p5050131023g
    Good ol' Arcane-Frost (31 points in arcane and not using a single arcane spell except for some rng in bwl)

Deleted
    Love the old talent trees, the warrior one shows just how much they were the favoured class by developers until the end of BC.

Deleted
    How I miss the old paladin protection tree =(

Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    SO true, and it remained true most of the way through TBC as well - spell mail was all geared for healing (back when +spell damage and +healing were separate stats) and we had no spirit->hit conversion, so to be properly capped for spell hit and damage you pretty much HAD to wear mage/lock cloth. But there WERE a few of us who pulled it off no matter how much everybody else said 'lolemental'.
    Yeah when i started in TBC I was amazed that people thought the stats on items were better. As an Enhancement Shaman I ran around mainly in Rogue gear because it was better..... nothing like a 12 foot tall ninja cow. Of course their stats will always be ridiculous as long as Strength doesn't matter to physical DPS. But a man can dream......