Page 1 of 3
LastLast

vanilla 1.0 talents - then and now

Hi. Nostalgia just hit me.
    I just found this site who has the talent calculator for the beta version of WoW. The same model was also used in patch 1.0 and further on.

http://wowvault.ign.com/View.php?cat...ents.View.Beta

Back when 150 hp actually meant something.
    How do you like it in general? Do you even disagree that blizz has improved their talents trees over the past 7 years, or how would you like to compare it?

Lol I remember how useless Survival was for Hunters. It was literally just a trap/melee spec....

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagula View Post
    Lol I remember how useless Survival was for Hunters. It was literally just a trap/melee spec....
    I remember them having a ''Bleed'' ability that made them go in Melee range; I believe it was called lacerate? What were they thinking ahahah AND it was a final tier point

Good times

10+ Year Old Account
    so epic.. such great memories :P

EDIT:

Some notable epic things about the talent tree:

1. DRUID: Final talent in resto was innervate
    2. DRUID: The balance tree includes talents which increase weapon damage
    3. SHAMAN: The enhancement tree was designed for tanking
    4. HUNTER: Survival was a melee spec
    5. PALADIN: Ret final talent is BoK
    6. PALADIN: Final talent was a CC which didnt work in any of the raids since none of the raids were against humans
    7. MAGE: The arcane tree was for PVP while Frost was for PVE
    8. PRIEST: Disc trees final point was a buff (spirit [now removed])
    9. PRIEST: Holy tree final point was holy nova... i mean wtf?? lol

and much more, but those are some fun ones for now :P
    Last edited by Nosonia; 2012-03-09 at 07:29 PM.

Here's pretty detailed calculator containing talent trees from patches in vanilla - wotlk period. Class and patch selection is on the left. It's funny to see how they had no idea about how they want some spec to work for quite a while.

http://www.wowprovider.com/Old.aspx?talent=1124125_11
    You see, there's this thing called "aggro". It's a very complicated, very technical roleplaying expression.
    Loosely translated, it means "the priest dies".

Good old Firestone. When I first started, I had no idea what I was doing. I tried soooooo hard to make firestone work for me. I remember leveling in Hillsbrad Foothills swiping at mobs with a sword while using firestone, and being convinced that I was somehow missing the key for awesome melee warlock play.....

SM/DS Warlock.... Oh I miss how it was the supreme farming build. What food? no need! Leaching life force from everything it fought, fear kiting, life gaining.... /drool

/rosetinted goggles.

edit: and lol at sub rogue, they now give the entire first tier talents away for being a rogue.

Warrior trees were still pretty decent all things considered. It's hilarious to look at stuff like Balance though, "Weapon Balance - Increases damage with melee weapons by 10%" lmao.

Deleted
    Haha thats cool, i never played vanilla, but the ele shaman tree doesnt seem to have changed alot over the years :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    I remember how utterly crap Arcane was for mages back then... "Wand specialization" ...

I was already "controversial" in daring to be a fire mage for raiding...
    Daring wouldn't be the word. Stupid is more like it. Most bosses in MC and BWL were immune to fire damage which is why frost was the raid spec back then. Fire only became viable in AQ & Naxx.

Some of it is so absurd I'm suprised it even existed

Str+10% talent deep in holy tree?

Parry+5% talent deep in ret tree?

I lol'd

Good old 200% weapon damage Mortal strike, absurdly OP compared to all other talents

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just amazed at the talents. I can't imagine going resto with bear and cat talents...what was the point?

I guess it's part of the artifact of no dual-spec, when people HAD to have some damage, healing, or caster talents mixed in to survive if they chose to level that way.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Daring wouldn't be the word. Stupid is more like it. Most bosses in MC and BWL were immune to fire damage which is why frost was the raid spec back then. Fire only became viable in AQ & Naxx.
    So true... hell the leveling game actually lead you into highly fire resistant areas anyways. Mid-40's you could be looking at searing gorge as you make your way into burning steppes between your black rock depths runs (dungeon with a number of fire elementals/giants/salamander. AFAIK frost was the only mage specc untill naxx >.>;

10+ Year Old Account
    they definitely have focused each talent down into a more specialized and disciplined tree with a pretty unique feeling for each and every one now.

Deleted
    I remember how utterly crap Arcane was for mages back then... "Wand specialization" ...

Weren't half the boss on both MC, Onyxia and BWL inmune to fire? That was a bit more than daring :P I don't remember them being bad in aq40 or nax.

Ahh... when you look at that you may find out why people keep sayinh the game is worse. Because back then you simply don't cared that much. It was fun even if it were... well, like that.
    Last edited by mmoc38db56fadf; 2012-03-09 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekovivie View Post
    Some of it is so absurd I'm suprised it even existed

Str+10% talent deep in holy tree?

Parry+5% talent deep in ret tree?

I lol'd
    Not to mention the +Defense talent in Retri, that was just there to make sure you specced into that tree as a tank... Even though Prot Paladins were rather useless back then, if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Espada View Post
    Weren't half the boss on both MC, Onyxia and BWL inmune to fire? That was a bit more than daring :P
    Pretty much all dragon bosses, yeah. But Fire kicked ASS at Chromaggus in BWL, when you could "roll" Ignite procs, resulting in massive damage due to the Fire vulnerability-debuff the boss would get.

10+ Year Old Account

There was nothing controversial about raiding as fire (except maybe in MC). Rolling ignites with a raid full of mages was the best raiding spec.

Deleted
    The only thing I have to say on the matter, is that it's wasted time (imo), that Blizzard is fixing something that isn't really -broken-.
    And then using arguements like "people are just googling what to specc anyway", becuase people that need to google it are still gonna google what the best builds are when the new ones come out.
    Mhh.. I'd rather have the put some effort into other areas. The homogenization of classes and gear have gone a bit too far. And I guess they just don't put much time into making unique gear and spells simply because they're spending time on things like this. And by unique gear I don't mean looks, I mean things like how trinkets used to be in Vanilla. They had all sorts of effects on them like creating poisonclouds or shooting cannonballs. Stats would be assigned manually for every single item. Swing timers for weapons didn't follow a simple formula of being 1 or 2 handed like they do now but was decided on the spot.
    Might aswell play Diablo 1 with only 3 classes.

Even dungeons lack in design compared to the old ones from Vanilla and TBC. Black Temple is beautiful if you spend a moment to observe it.
    Dragonsoul was the worst one yet(not counting reused things like Naxx and ZG), 7/8 fights used existing worldmodels, and yet.. it's short. There's few bosses and an incomplete loot table.
    Last edited by mmoc5d57bddf72; 2012-03-09 at 08:05 PM.

Deleted
    We need to move forward!