Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Why Facebook Doesn't Delete Accounts Permanently?

Anyone find it weird that facebook doesn't allow you to permanently delete your account? I went to the options on my account and the most I could do is deactivate my account which means my account is offline and not in the network as functional. Sort of like an idle state. What if people want their account deleted and off the network. A lot of personal information is stored into it and you do not have the option to get rid of it completely?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durotar Thug View Post
    Anyone find it weird that facebook doesn't allow you to permanently delete your account? I went to the options on my account and the most I could do is deactivate my account which means my account is offline and not in the network as functional. Sort of like an idle state. What if people want their account deleted and off the network. A lot of personal information is stored into it and you do not have the option to get rid of it completely?
    I believe their is a way to permanently delete your account, but it's a long and annoying procedure. Try googling it.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

There is a way to delete, it is really easy, you type the words in, say you are really really sure to delete your facebook-they deactivate it for 14 days and then will permanently delete it. This form is not actual viewable unless you know the correct link to delete your page, which I can't remember what it is but google it and I am sure you will find the results.

It isn't weird, it is just like any other data company(Google...etc) They are in business to obtain your data, the more data they obtain the better their company does, why on earth would they want you to delete your free facebook account when each person that does delete it costs them x amount of dollars. From a business sense it makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    I believe their is a way to permanently delete your account, but it's a long and annoying procedure. Try googling it.
    I deleted my fb a while back, so speaking from experience you can. You have to find the god damned option first tho. I'm pretty sure there isn't a link anyone on fb to the page, you have to type the url in.

You pretty much just go to the page, say you're sure you want it gone, it tells you what happens when you delete your account and then it asks you like 5 more times if you're sure. Then it disables your account for 2 weeks, if you dont go on facebook for the 2 weeks it deletes your profile completely.

I think they save them for a number of reasons:
    1. Most people change their minds and come back. I've had several friends who have deleted their Facebook (some of them multiple times), only to see them return later.
    2. For legal purposes. They don't want you deleting your Facebook permanently after committing a crime (in case you talked about said crime on Facebook).

But, like others have said, there are ways to delete it permanently (after a waiting period).