Diablo III PvP Update - PvP Arena System Postponed

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard
    Originally
    As we’re counting down the days until we’re ready to announce a release date for Diablo III, we’ve come to realize that the PvP game and systems aren’t yet living up to our standards. Today, we wanted to let you know that we’ve made the difficult decision to hold back the PvP Arena system and release it in a patch following the game’s launch. After a lot of consideration and discussion, we ultimately felt that delaying the whole game purely for PvP would just be punishing to everyone who’s waiting to enjoy the campaign and core solo/co-op content, all of which is just about complete.

While we work on making sure PvP lives up to its full potential, we hope you’ll find some consolation in the fact that soon, you’ll be having a blast leveling characters, finding items, learning the classes, and perfecting builds…and that when the Arenas do arrive, you’ll be all the better prepared for battle.

When the PvP patch is ultimately ready, it will add multiple Arena maps with themed locations and layouts, PvP-centric achievements, and a matchmaking system that will help you and your team get into fairly matched games quickly and easily. We’ll also be adding a personal progression system that will reward you for successfully bashing in the other team’s skulls.

We know a lot of you are looking forward to PvP, and we’ll be focusing our post-launch efforts on making sure the Arenas are as brutal, bloody, fast-paced, and awesome as we know they can be. In the meantime, we’re in the process of putting the finishing touches on what we think is a truly epic campaign and co-op experience for launch.

We’ll have a lot more info to share on the PvP system in the future, and we look forward to the moment we can get the game into your hands.
    I'm posting this here because Diablo and WoW are now linked in a way they haven't been before due to the annual pass.

My first though was this doesn't seem right. If I bought the annual pass for free copy of D3 knowing there wont be much content in WoW till MoP, then having D3 pushed back (correct me if I'm wrong here) and then having PvP completely removed (again correct if wrong) from launch, I'd be pissed off.

To be honest I didn't even know D3 was gonna have any type decent pvp due to that one guy on the dev. teams statement last year with regards to pve/pvp balance. Hell if I thought there might be I'd take a look.

How many of you pvp'd in D2 and/or plan to pvp in D3?
    Is this a big deal?
    Has any of this made you rethink getting the annual pass?
    Last edited by bcbully; 2012-03-10 at 07:10 AM.

PvP is around 10% of the mass appeal of D3. That number is probably overestimating. I'm going to guess this delay means next to nothing for most people.

I don't see how this affects the annual pass at all, considering there was never any magical predetermined thing you were getting besides D3, MoP beta, and an arch-angel horse. If they suddenly said they wouldn't be giving out D3, then there might be a logical reason to be peeved, but it's not even close to that.

Deleted
    Its actually better this way, I hate PvP balance patches that ruin everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    PvP is around 10% of the mass appeal of D3. That number is probably overestimating. I'm going to guess this delay means next to nothing for most people.
    This.

Anyone seeking PvP in Diablo to be anything other than a fun gimmick to pass 10 minutes here and there are being extremely naive. Dungeon crawler games by design can never lead to any serious PvP competition.

Poor control systems (for pvp) + whoever has the most money for the best gear + character abilities that will NEVER be balanced around PvP = a way to pass time, nothing else.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Casual PvP was a pretty big thing in d2, and it will continue to be a big thing in d3 even if its unbalanced because it was one of the things to do in the game, and the arena just added to the hype of the game I see this hurting the game in some way.

No PvP in Diablo 3 at start is really bad move from Blizzard. Don't say something like: OMF IF YOU WANT PVP GO PLAY BATTLE FIELD! :O
    I just want to play PvP in Diablo 3. Many people don't like PvP because they're afraid of losing, they just can't stand that some others are killing them.
    PvP is a part of this game, isn't it?(don't answer if you just want to say that only a few people like it)

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    No PvP in Diablo 3 at start is really bad move from Blizzard. Don't say something like: OMF IF YOU WANT PVP GO PLAY BATTLE FIELD! :O
    I just want to play PvP in Diablo 3. Many people don't like PvP because they're afraid of losing, they just can't stand that some others are killing them.
    PvP is a part of this game, isn't it?(don't answer if you just want to say that only a few people like it)
    People don't buy dungeon crawlers to PvP on. It's a gimmick added to mess around with every now and then.

Trying to say that PvP is a big part of this game is just like saying voice acted cinematics are an integral part of WoW.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    It would be one thing if we hadn't been waiting what seems like forever for this game, but since we have - this is crap.

They announced PvP over 18 months ago, after numerous features being removed from the game and multiple push backs on a release it makes me wonder what Blizzard are doing, it seems to me like they have no clue wtf they want to do with this game.

I didn't buy into the whole ''don't have high expectations'' pitch from Blizzard a few weeks ago but after hearing news like this it gives me a sickening feeling now.
    Last edited by mmoceeceb76e25; 2012-03-10 at 08:10 AM.

I don't plan on PvPing in D3 if I buy it. Maybe a couple times to fool around, but in games like D2, I played for campaign with friends or alone.

That said, I think it's pretty huge that they are shipping it without PvP. It seems like a bad move. Most people don't know about this yet, but I expect there to be a shit storm about it in the coming week. I wasn't a fan of PvP in D2, but I went on D2 forums. PvP was a HUGE topic. I know for a fact MANY people were extremely excited for the PvP. It seems so unlike Blizzard to just say, "fuck it, we'll release the game now. In a content patch later on, we can add PvP." It just sounds bad. Not to mention, people will get used to the game, and then PvP gets implemented. What happens then? All the abilities/runes get tweaked a bunch. In my mind, it feels like I'm paying for a beta that includes full single player story with online co-op. It doesn't feel right. It doesn't feel like the true release the game should have.

Thanks guys for the info. I'm a pvp'r nowadays used to be 50/50. For some strange reason I almost want to try it out now. I may wait till the pvp patch. I was always the kid that walked into kay-bee then game stop, and asked the guy at the counter "what do you think about this game." If they said it sucked, I bought it. I have a sneaky suspicion the pvp in D3 when it gets there might be fun

I'm happy they're not delaying it for the pvp, Diablo III doesn't need it, at all. Hopefully we won't get pvp balance affecting pve, because that would be wow all-over again.

Blizzard has never made this being an almost entirely PvE-focused game a secret
    The PvP was meant to be a fun addition, not so much a goal in itself

With the lack of mod tools I don't care about PVP at all. D2 PVP was fun because of the mods.

I'm buying D3 for the story and co-op experience and nothing more. So this news is "numba-won A-Okay USA" with me.

Im fine with them delaying Arena PvP if it expedites release, absolutely. I wasn't planning on organized PvPing until I'd reached level 60 on a couple characters anyway and gotten some good gear.

One thing that does irk me though is the complete lack of a casual 1v1 dueling system. It seems to me like that would be very simple to implement, and would add a nice little bit of fun to have with friends just testing your power against one another outside of town.

See, what pisses me off about this was originally pvp wasnt going to be ranked because the rune system made it so every class had something like 2800 deviations and balancing that was Physically impossible. Now with the rune system only being 5 runes and setting onerune to one spell, doesn't seem so bad. However now not only are we not getting ranked we're not getting pvp on release? Utterly ubsurd and lazy

Quote Originally Posted by TankRamp View Post
    See, what pisses me off about this was originally pvp wasnt going to be ranked because the rune system made it so every class had something like 2800 deviations and balancing that was Physically impossible. Now with the rune system only being 5 runes and setting onerune to one spell, doesn't seem so bad. However now not only are we not getting ranked we're not getting pvp on release? Utterly ubsurd and lazy
    What? It's still the same amount of meaningful combinations that it ever was, all they removed were multiple ranks of one spell.
    That's like saying that WoW was harder to balance when you learned 15 ranks of Frostbolt rather than just one! You used two at most, and one of them only because it was designed to cast faster at level one which would not be the case in Diablo III because all they changed were damage percentages.

With Doctor has 22 skills.
    Each skill has 5 subskills with runes.
    You can equip six of those skills.

Going off the skill calculator:

Three primaries * 5 = 15.
    Five secondaries * 5 = 25.
    Four defensives * 5 = 20.
    Three terror * 5 = 15.
    Four decay * 5 = 20.
    Three voodoo * 5 = 15.
    There are also 17 passive skills and you can equip three of those.

That's a fuckload of combinations.
    Last edited by Imnick; 2012-03-11 at 04:03 PM.

I am personaly happy they delayed pvp.Surly it will be polished to perfection and will be an overall better when the patch finaly hits.I am carnage the barbaian