Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    PvP is a sideshow. Just because there is more transparency on the features they are holding off on doesn't mean the philosophy's changed. There's probably a million other things they'd like to have in the game that they also are either holding off on or cut. Should they have delayed D2 until LoD was ready? Should WC3 not have come out until they had wrote out the next part of Arthas's story? Should Vanilla WoW have been delayed until BGs or more raids were ready?

The point is, sometimes, the release date line has to be drawn or you're going to delay your project to hell. It's not about a 'complete' game, because there's no such thing. It's about a satisfying game, and PvP is not necessary, in Blizzard's eyes, for a satisfying D3 experience.

WoW also launched without PvP, so....

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

Deleted
    Don't think there will be that many pvpers at least for a few months. People that really want to play Diablo will first finish the campaign on at least one character, get as much gear as possible and then think about pvp.

I think it's a good decision by Blizzard to take their time and make sure they don't fail with the arenas in this game. They can easily patch it a few months later and everyone will be happy

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    At least blizz admits it isnt ready, and takes steps to ensure the unfinished portions arent released. bio takes a different approach, dump a far too long in development game with many bugs onto the market, and hope fanboy fever carries it long enough for them to fix it.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Blizzard chooses to not release D3 PvP until it is ready.

Person on forums questions whether or not Blizzard still holds to their "we're release it when we're ready" philosophy.

....I'm confused.

i love this fourm!

Quote Originally Posted by TigglyBiggly View Post
    Most people wouldn't be doing PVP till at least 2 months in.
    Exactly this, by the time you manage to reach lvl 60 and you start to farm gear, everyone will be ready to do pvp when the patch get released. I don't expect someone to have pvp with his lvl 15 hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Into View Post
    Imagine if Mass Effect 3 was delayed to next year to add 10 multiplayer maps where Shepard and friends can frag each other? Biowares website would be a blaze.
    It wouldn't take them a full year to generate 10 multiplayer maps... Also, i'm not expecting 10 maps for D3's arena. I think it's hopeful thinking to believe it's going to have even 5.

---------- Post added 2012-03-11 at 02:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefudge View Post
    Blizzard chooses to not release D3 PvP until it is ready.

Person on forums questions whether or not Blizzard still holds to their "we're release it when we're ready" philosophy.

....I'm confused.
    Because Blizzard applied that philosophy to game LAUNCHes - not patches. (Dragon Soul can be a testament to that from WoW :P)

As other's have said though, they've probably since tweaked their philosophy - although sadly I think the tweak just makes them like other companies now. Before, Blizz would make a TOTAL package that was completely wrapped up on ALL aspects ready for launch.

I didnt know there was such pvp development in diablo till recently, so i dont care about the delay. Diablo never had pvp before (correct me if im wrong) so most of the fanbase wont mind it being posponed.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    As other's have said though, they've probably since tweaked their philosophy - although sadly I think the tweak just makes them like other companies now. Before, Blizz would make a TOTAL package that was completely wrapped up on ALL aspects ready for launch.
    I don't see how this is a bad thing though. Would you rather have them postpone the whole game, because a small part of it isn't up to their standards yet? I wouldn't and I'm sure most people waiting for Diablo 3 wouldn't either.

Deleted
    You can have the main part of the game at time A and the delayed part at time B or you can have the whole thing at time B

I dont see how delaying the smaller part can in any way be bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont care about diablo nor its pvp...however my personal opinion is it ( to me ) shows there slipping. After all the shit thats happened from blizzcon cancelation for 2012 to them saying stop hyping diablo 3 to postponing pvp to shitty drawn out wow content to 600+ employees getting fired all that shit to me suggests instability. I believe they still do follow their philosophy of release when its ready but I feel as if the same quality of a game should be coming quicker than we are getting it aka they should be feeling its ready in shorter time spans. Maybe its the whole " a-team working on project titan" thing who knows. Thats just my opinion. Everything from them just seems to really be chugging its way out.

Deleted
    You cant really pvp anyway in the beginning, so whats the deal?
    Everybody will be leveling, and collecting Stuff...and once you hit max level, yes, then PvP becomes an Option.

I rather play with PvE for a while, as waiting another 4-8 Weeks extra for the Retail Version with PvP included.

If they don't follow that philosophy anymore I would have the game already. I can't even remember how long I have been waiting for Diablo3. If I still have to wait for them to polish PvP then we will get the game in 2013. PvP was playable at Blizzcon but for some reason Blizzard think it's not good enough to ship with the game so they will patch it in later. "When it's done" means "Blizzard's done". Diablo 2 didn't ship with many things such as runeword and more. WoW shipped with no bg too. You can look back to Blizzard's history to see what "When it's done mean". It's the same philosophy they have been using for 20 years.

TLDR: What you think "When it's done" is completely not the same as what Blizzard have been doing for 20 years.

---------- Post added 2012-03-11 at 03:43 PM ----------

It wouldn't take them a full year to generate 10 multiplayer maps... Also, i'm not expecting 10 maps for D3's arena. I think it's hopeful thinking to believe it's going to have even 5.

---------- Post added 2012-03-11 at 02:48 PM ----------

Because Blizzard applied that philosophy to game LAUNCHes - not patches. (Dragon Soul can be a testament to that from WoW :P)

They have never achieved something like that.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2012-03-11 at 03:42 PM.

Blizzard has changed their philosophy ever since they put the b-team to work on their most important and successful franchise in WOW. They basically told us that they'd be rushing out stuff when they said they wanted to release expansions sooner as well. Blizzard has also lost several key game developers and many of them are working on competing titles. Blizzard's quality has been slipping

Blizzard has gotten a little fat and lazy and seriously underestimated the video game market. They are relying too much on band aids like SOR instead of investing into solutions for the core problems of their franchise, and Blizzard is obviously rushing Diablo 3 out to meet quarterly numbers and to due all the competition on the market

Blizzard is no longer the A+ game company they once were. Now they're more above average than oustanding, and they focus heavily on microtransactions being a part of the core game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadzta View Post
    i dont care about diablo nor its pvp...however my personal opinion is it ( to me ) shows there slipping. After all the shit thats happened from blizzcon cancelation for 2012 to them saying stop hyping diablo 3 to postponing pvp to shitty drawn out wow content to 600+ employees getting fired all that shit to me suggests instability. I believe they still do follow their philosophy of release when its ready but I feel as if the same quality of a game should be coming quicker than we are getting it aka they should be feeling its ready in shorter time spans. Maybe its the whole " a-team working on project titan" thing who knows. Thats just my opinion. Everything from them just seems to really be chugging its way out.
    addadaaaaa

Deleted
    Why is it so important to get it out right now when before, back in the RTS days, it didn't matter to them how long it took until the game is, in their eyes, perfect?
    Activision has changed Blizzard, simple as that. They may say nothing has changed, but we can all see the results.

It's obvious why they delayed the PVP parts to the game... so they can release it as free update the same week Guildwars 2 is launched

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Activision has changed Blizzard, simple as that. They may say nothing has changed, but we can all see the results.
    If it's Activision's influence that will allow us to play the D3 campaign a few months earlier then I say a big thankyou to them.

Deleted
    Upon hearing the news about Blizz postponing the release of the PVP arena for Diablo 3, I really got to ask myself a serious question - "does Blizzard still follow their own philosophy of "we'll release the game when we feel the game is ready"?*

Now, before I get assaulted by 123 people saying "IT's a PVE GAME!"... please hear me out as I'm actually NOT complaining about lack of PVP on a personal level. :P

I agree that it's a PVE game and on a personal level I could care less about D3 arena PVP... but just because I don't care about PVP doesn't mean everybody doesn't either - and I know many MANY people who just love dueling in D2 and in D3 that is to be one of the major elements of the game.*

While I never was a Warcraft/Starcraft RTS fan - wasn't Warcraft I-III, Starcraft, and Starcraft II also PVE games with a PVP element? Did those PVP elements get delayed at all?*

When Blizz generally releases a game - they said "When we feel the GAME is perfect and ready". The GAME - as in, the entire package. Back in the RTS days, that also applied to the PVP aspects too, didn't it?*

Now, Warcraft didn't launch with BGs or the Honor system until a later patch - but that has been forgivable as, well, it's a gigantic ginormous MMORPG. It wasn't feesable to get everything they want in there as it's supsed to be a whole WORLD of things to do, and by design it was meant to be a game that slowly grew over time with new content patches and expansions.*

...Diablo III isn't designed to be an expandable world, nor has the complexity of design as WoW does.

So, why couldn't they just delay D3 for a month or three to get arena done for launch? Which (given the number of MASSIVE tweaks each D3 patch has) also gives them time to tweak the PVE content more as well.*

The bottom line is this - Blizzard always says "We'll release it when we feel the game is done" and yet, they're deliberately postponing a major feature in D3 just to get it out the door ASAP.

Why is it so important to get it out right now when before, back in the RTS days, it didn't matter to them how long it took until the game is, in their eyes, perfect?*

So... DOES Blizzard still stand behind that philosophy? Because with D3 arena postponement, it sounds like they've adopted the "get it out NOW, patch it later" philosophy that every other gaming company tends to do.*
    If you look on the bigger picture, DS3 is a huge game in the mass of its solo content, and if they have all that ready, why don't release it?? people can't do pvp before later lvls and who says they are not going to patch it like 2 weeks after launch??

This is not a major part of the game and therefore i see no reason an entire game should be held back for some time, if just a small feature(which can be patched in) is not there. Blizz have still used a lot of time on this projekt and when the solo game is done, the game is really Ready for launch!

Are people seriously defending MORE delays of D3 in this thread?

The game is never perfect, the game is never complete. There will always be features to add (look at any MMO), there will always be things to polish, bugs to fix, balance changes to make. Release D3 now and add in arena later - that makes perfect sense. Why delay the game weeks if not months to try to work around a system that will only affect a few players and only when they're level 60? By the time the majority of the PvPers are 60 and have a decent set of gear arena will likely be out anyway, and if it isn't, would you prefer not playing the game AT ALL until it is?

It's like saying they shouldn't release MoP until the second tier of that expansion is done.