Thread: Learning Curve

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Learning Curve

I am looking for some advice. I have not played Guild Wars 1 but I am very interested in playing Guild Wars 2. I was hoping someone may be able to give me some advice about what profession may be the lowest learning curve? I have experience in other mmo's but GW 2 looks like it will be completely different. How does the dodge mechanic feel? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if this is not posted in the correct place either as I am also new to posting here.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iated.-READ-ME!

Try this first. As for a class learning curve it'll depend on the individual playing.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

A lot of people will tell you that there is no way to know as we haven't yet played and yada yada, but aside from all those considerations I think Warriors should be the most "straightforward" profession. Not easiest of course, but one that you're the most likely to be familiar with from the get go.

I'm kind of expecting the warrior to have the lowest learning curve, just based on the skills and gameplay that all the other professions offer.

Every class will have a decent learning curve at first though, until people start to get use to the way combat in general works.

As for how the dodge mechanic works, I think only the few people that have played the beta so far could give an opinion on that, and I doubt any of them read this forum.

Deleted
    Not that it helps but i heard that Elementalist have the biggest learning curve, so dont go lvling one of those the first thing you do

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    Not that it helps but i heard that Elementalist have the biggest learning curve, so dont go lvling one of those the first thing you do
    Elementalist and engineer is what I'm expecting to have the largest learning curve too.

^ Really difficult to guess who will have the biggest learning curve. I'd add Thieves too, no perma-stealth, melee and being relatively squishy makes them a prof that you'll either play right or don't play at all. Mesmers will most likely have some degree of learning involved for good clone usage. I actually don't see Engineers as needing that big of a learning curve, you can definitely get away with just common sense.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    ^ Really difficult to guess who will have the biggest learning curve. I'd add Thieves too, no perma-stealth, melee and being relatively squishy makes them a prof that you'll either play right or don't play at all. Mesmers will most likely have some degree of learning involved for good clone usage. I actually don't see Engineers as needing that big of a learning curve, you can definitely get away with just common sense.
    I must say i think the Thieve looks pretty easy to play actually, looks alot easier then lets say a wow rogue never got my head around those.

Mesmer will screw with your mind.... so don't try that.

Necro looks quite difficult to master aswell ! Oh well, I'll be rolling both a warrior and necromancer. It's just like in WoW, learning to play a class is one thing.. If you master it, it's a different story

More so than which profession will be the easiest, is probably that the playstyle necessitates self healing, dodging, weapon sawpping for each situation and generally being more verstaile. In that sense every prof will likely have a fairly high learning curve for most people.
    But yh, ele and engineer prob the hardest.
    Easiest......maybe warrior or......ranger? At least ranger gives u a pet to hide behind

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    More so than which profession will be the easiest, is probably that the playstyle necessitates self healing, dodging, weapon sawpping for each situation and generally being more verstaile. In that sense every prof will likely have a fairly high learning curve for most people.
    But yh, ele and engineer prob the hardest.
    Easiest......maybe warrior or......ranger? At least ranger gives u a pet to hide behind
    I think guardian or ranger is probably the easiest. Guardian its ok to mess up because everything you do is supportive of something.

Necro and Guardian seem the easiest to me, especially Guardian. They're sturdiest of their respective class-type (heavy armour, light armour) which gives them room to make mistakes. Necros have a bunch of pets and an oh-shit button that gives them a separate life bar, and Guardians are essentially the paladins with all their supportive stuff and less twitchy playstyle.
    Last edited by Spriggan; 2012-03-11 at 12:10 AM.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

15+ Year Old Account
    From what I heard, they released the professions in the order of complexity. This means Elementalist according to them is the easiest.

That being said, don't pick a profession just so you can learn the game better. Most of the standard stuff is the same for all professions. I mean all classes learn one ability at a time and it adapts to your playstyle when you choose a weapon you like. It is also a whole new game so don't compare to first one even if you haven't played it. Pick the class you think is most fun and you learn as you go. It is only complex if you want to be the best directly.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I think guardian or ranger is probably the easiest. Guardian its ok to mess up because everything you do is supportive of something.
    Yh...I was actually gonna edit out the warrior for guardian. Meh...effort.

I think thief would be also relatively easy to learn (but difficult to master) if you have already played a rogue-style character from another MMO like WoW. Other than that, warrior, guardian and ranger do seem like more or less straightforward. Elementalist, necro and engineer look much more difficult and mesmer... well, thats a class on its own. Although I really like the idea of illusions in PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warrior is easiest; Warrior is always easiest.

Pretty sure the game will be intuitive to anyone who has played action games in the current era. As opposed to those that primarily play hotkey MMOs. There is more Kingdoms of Alamar in GW2 than World of Warcraft, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Pretty sure the game will be intuitive to anyone who has played action games in the current era. As opposed to those that primarily play hotkey MMOs. There is more Kingdoms of Alamar in GW2 than World of Warcraft, so to speak.
    Or if you're a PVPer in any game that offers free movement. Those of us with that kind of background move around naturally regardless of a lack of dodge mechanics and skill aiming. I don't think GW2 will be hard to pick up at all in terms of it's combat system by people who have devoted a fair amount of time to PVP in any other MMO.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Warrior is easiest; Warrior is always easiest.
    Warrior will be fairly straightforward at first, but I expect that in the end the difficulty will be in the constant weapon swapping and keeping track of the cooldowns of the 2 weapon sets. At least that is what I hope it turns out to be. Playing the warrior like the Yogscast (for example) is not the most difficult thing to do, but also not the most effective way of playing the warrior. I hope.
    You're also in melee range all the time so that may add some difficulty as well.