Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Neglesh, what would the CE for GW2 cost you in Australia?
    Sorry fore the late reply

CE for us Auzzie's is about $142, according to Mif's post on the prices.

And Digital Deluxe whatever is about $75 Auzzie bucks.

---------- Post added 2012-03-14 at 10:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Khaidu View Post
    so the general price for GW2 in australia will automatically be $100.00 in every store $90.00 if we are lucky and most likely for the collectors edition $210.. This is why we change our location on steam to USand buy via the US price as its then $50 cheaper. Still does not make sense since the USD is less than the AUD (xe.com says atm its 1.00 AUD = 1.04851 USD) Stores here exploit prices so much. We pay GST but this is automatically adjusted when buying online.
    Yes, and in other words, the amount we pay for electronic goods is absoluetly fucked.

Deleted
    Cheapest pre-order I could find in Sweden is 54$, so 5$ cheaper then the digital normal I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Varah View Post
    Only 5 states in the US have 0% sales tax. That really isn't that many.

Are they even going to have regional servers? Are the servers going to be maintained in europe? I haven't seen any information from anet stating that. Are servers in europe really more expensive? I'd think it'd depend highly on the country some may even be cheaper. Why would shipping matter in this for a digital item? Shipping is only applied to US orders when you buy a physical copy from online otherwise you don't pay for shipping. The UK isn't asking for digital downloads to be sold cheaper than boxes in their country, but that the boxes and digital goods are equal and on par with US prices. If I go to the store or get a digital download the price is the same, zero difference. I'm unsure why you believe that shipment would matter at all in that circumstance. The only thing that'd matter would be tax. I'm unsure of how europe taxes digital goods. At least 2 US states don't tax digital goods, but many do.

What is it with people and hamburger comparisons? Hamburgers are often subjected to higher tax rates in many european countries because it's fast food. So.stop.trying.to.compare.apples.and.oranges. The only thing that matters here is the taxing on video games.
    The hamburger is just one of the example that shows people in EU/UK normally pay more to buy goods than people in the US. It might due to there's more tax in the EU/UK or other reasons that I don't know. As I am from Thailand (just moved to the US), I could buy games in my country for 25 to 30$ from normally 60$ back in my country, as many games are manufactured in that region and the cost of living in general is way lower than in the US. Does that means the US should buy games at that price too?

And the cost is not only about shipment. It's also about personnel that look after the logistic, marketing, advertising in the country too. So if your country normally pay higher for those stuffs, then the box price has to go up naturally. And if the box prices goes up, then the digital version also has to conform with the price too.

With digital distribution of games it makes an illusion that the market becomes global (as of same price everywhere in the world) but it's actually not the case. Price is still subjected to local standard (and to a certain extent, a market) in each country/region. And there are many restriction that still apply to games too. For example, Steam games that I bought when I was in Thailand (with lower prices) can't be played as long as I log in to my Steam account from the US. The only games I can play is the game that I bought with a US price. So yeah, there goes the global price.

Deleted
    Same thing happens with Apple products and other electronic goods since forever. It sucks but that's how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by guser View Post
    so.. what the hell is wrong with the price in Europe? why do we have to pay 10€ more for the same game?
    i seriously hope its a typo or something =\

Digital Edition: currently $59.99 - €55, should be ~€45.
    Digital Deluxe: currently $79.99 - €75, should be ~€61.

WTF! Europe is basically paying ~$72 for normal and ~$98 for the same DIGITAL content! Its DIGITAL!! no shipping, no boxes etc
    I can understand, to a certain extent, the collector's edition price.. but $106 EXTRA just for shipping is a little too high (unless its super f*cking express 12hour delivery lol)

What do you think about this nonsense? im kinda pissed ffs
    Can't you just switch currency to dollars and buy game with it? I don't even know

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    Ever used Steam? It's the same bullshit; thank god for VPNs.
    Yes, Steam prices are really confusing me. I can buy their games in my local game store much cheaper in box. And then connect them to Steam (Skyrim for example). This is really... strange.

Deleted
    The thing is if a game costs say $60 in the US in the UK it will generally be £40-£45. But with the game being $60 in the US and £50 why are we forced to pay more when we havn't with other games?

Quote Originally Posted by bbit View Post
    Same thing happens with Apple products and other electronic goods since forever. It sucks but that's how it is.
    This.

299$ PS3 = 299Euros PS3

Your just getting buttfucked since forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Australian GW2 CE is $198. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfuert View Post
    The thing is if a game costs say $60 in the US in the UK it will generally be £40-£45. But with the game being $60 in the US and £50 why are we forced to pay more when we havn't with other games?
    You _do_ have to with Steam. They just change the $ to £ and pocket the change, assuming it isn't to cover your taxes. It happens all the time. I'm honestly shocked that everyone always complains about it and act as if it does not happen all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    You _do_ have to with Steam. They just change the $ to £ and pocket the change, assuming it isn't to cover your taxes. It happens all the time. I'm honestly shocked that everyone always complains about it and act as if it does not happen all the time.
    Just because it happens all the time doesn't mean it's automatically okay. They put every European countries in the same boat with these price things, regardless of the taxes. And as a result I can get the boxed version of the game 10€ cheaper if I order from a local store instead. I just hope that local store gets the pre-purchase bonus as well, since they said only some stores get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    Yeah and all we get is a fucking disc, a case which we look at once, and a manual that consists of 8 pages.
    I heard that Australia do all these things, to force you to adapt in the wild nature of Australia. So that you won´t get eaten by kangaroos, and raped by koalas. They don´t want you to spend time on computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    alsmost 90euro the diablo 3 collector's edition, also free to play multi and single player ....I guess GW2 is a bit high during this hard season...http://multiplayer.com/videogiochi/p...s-edition.html

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixor View Post
    I heard that Australia do all these things, to force you to adapt in the wild nature of Australia. So that you won´t get eaten by kangaroos, and raped by koalas. They don´t want you to spend time on computer.
    That seems counter-productive. After all, the more time one spends by the computer, the less time you spend in the outside world among the flesh-eating kangaroos.

Quote Originally Posted by nagina View Post
    Only children cry over prices...
    Children don't care shit about prices. That's why they got parents to do it for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixor View Post
    Oh. This is quite a good idea. I might now start a political career and put endless taxes on video games one day here in Europe, so that we get back to the real forests and fight with all the bears and wolves and elves and stuff out there!
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Deleted
    There's a very simple reason we have to pay more in europe.... Because we allow it.

It's as simple as that. In Europe we will pay these prices, in US they won't. And whats the main point of running a company? Profit!

Don't like it? Vote the only way you can, with your wallet.

Deleted
    This deserves a requote for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Convert the currency.

$59.99 = €45

Add the VAT (20% for me).

€45 * 1.2 = €54

So yeah, about the same. American prices are always quoted excluding taxes, which vary wildly depending on where you are and how many Austrian body-builders are in charge.
    US pays the same amount, base cost plus taxes. The only difference is because taxes vary in that single country, US prices are displayed without taxes, and all others are with taxes. Still the same price. Roughly.

No conspiracy here, nothing to protest.

Edit: Good reading here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_eva...nd_sales_taxes
    Last edited by mmoc10ec13b383; 2012-03-15 at 02:40 PM.

Deleted
    yeah VAT is the killer here

Quote Originally Posted by nagina View Post
    Only children cry over prices...
    Quite the opposite.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    There's a very simple reason we have to pay more in europe.... Because we allow it.

It's as simple as that. In Europe we will pay these prices, in US they won't. And whats the main point of running a company? Profit!

Don't like it? Vote the only way you can, with your wallet.
    Well, they do.

Every few years prices goes up by £5. People get sick of constant price increases and some turn to pirating. Then the companies come back with "that's the reason the prices are going up"