Page 43 of 126 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slanderize View Post
    I had just watched Troll Hunter because I had come across it, and I LOVED THAT MOVIE so damn much. Then I see this thread, and the Christian comic, and it all just made me laugh. Bluetooth and his damn Christian conversion.

My Great Grandfather was Danish. I never learned Danish, and he spoke very little English, and I only spent time with him during the summers, but I loved him greatly. He was a great man, loathed Christians, and opossums.. one of the first things he learned to say was Possum, and he'd run them over passionately with his vehicle.

Anyway I digress, I just wanted to say as an American I am THRILLED over this thread, it has such great information. I'm really enjoying going through it all.

Also, a question to anyone who might know. Is Bluetooth the generally accepted historical "Viking King" to begin the Christian conversion? I believe Denmark and Norway had some kind of tribal run rule back then, so a lot of kings of their own people would dispute Christianity, and I know a lot of Viking Kings were Christian but wouldn't try to force conversions on their people. But is Bluetooth the historical "first one?" Or is that simply some American conception?

Thanks for any answers.
    IIRC Bluetooth was the elected monarch of multiple tribes and it was he who made the danes christians or so it says on a rune stone... The "legend" goes that a monk came and tried to make them christians by "proving the power of God" by putting on a red hot gauntlet and come out unscathed...

Must have been a tough sell... Trying to convince bearded vikings that they can no longer pillage as they please, they dont go to valhalla during honorable combat, they cant have thralls nor drink etc etc etc... Must have been more to it... Maybe he knew that if they didnt convert the next crusade would be against the north instead of the middle east

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    IIRC Bluetooth was the elected monarch of multiple tribes and it was he who made the danes christians or so it says on a rune stone... The "legend" goes that a monk came and tried to make them christians by "proving the power of God" by putting on a red hot gauntlet and come out unscathed...

Must have been a tough sell... Trying to convince bearded vikings that they can no longer pillage as they please, they dont go to valhalla during honorable combat, they cant have thralls nor drink etc etc etc... Must have been more to it... Maybe he knew that if they didnt convert the next crusade would be against the north instead of the middle east
    Okay yes, see as far as I've ever been able to discern it was pretty much political at the time.
    A lot of their neighbors were converting, and it pretty much was a holy war prevention act.
    Plus Vikings through that history had a pretty bad reputation for hacking up the Christians... Ingar? Ivar? The Boneless, and his father.. Sarkid? Something like that, it's been some time since I've read up on these things. So if they hadn't been all "Hey guys our bad, we wanna play nice now." They'd have blitzkrieged them out of fear alone.

But yes I was always confused if Bluetooth was an "elected" leader, or agreed upon conqueror of most of Denmark at the time, or how that all worked. Thank you for the clarification.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had just watched Troll Hunter because I had come across it, and I LOVED THAT MOVIE so damn much. Then I see this thread, and the Christian comic, and it all just made me laugh. Bluetooth and his damn Christian conversion.

My Great Grandfather was Danish. I never learned Danish, and he spoke very little English, and I only spent time with him during the summers, but I loved him greatly. He was a great man, loathed Christians, and opossums.. one of the first things he learned to say was Possum, and he'd run them over passionately with his vehicle.

Anyway I digress, I just wanted to say as an American I am THRILLED over this thread, it has such great information. I'm really enjoying going through it all.

Also, a question to anyone who might know. Is Bluetooth the generally accepted historical "Viking King" to begin the Christian conversion? I believe Denmark and Norway had some kind of tribal run rule back then, so a lot of kings of their own people would dispute Christianity, and I know a lot of Viking Kings were Christian but wouldn't try to force conversions on their people. But is Bluetooth the historical "first one?" Or is that simply some American conception?

Thanks for any answers.
    I dunno about the other Scandinavian countries, but the king who unified Norway under Jesus was Holy Olaf. Like the article mentions, however, we already had quite a few christian areas by then, but Olaf was the guy who said "Alright! Enough of this tribal stuff. We are ONE nation with ONE God. Mkay?".
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Well the first danish king to officially jump on the christian bandwagon was Harald Klak, but Gorm (and by extension, Bluetooth) paved the way for christianity and Bluetooth did go as far as to declare all the danes Christian. Of course the christians had been converting thanes here and there for quite some time but Bluetooth was the first to successfully push the christian agenda on any major scale. In Norway I believe it was Olof Tryggvasson who was the one working to Christianize the country in the late 900s. As for Sweden... Well, all I know is that the first Christian king of Sweden was Olof Skötkonung, but not very familiar with his story.

Missionaries had been sent to Scandinavia for a very long time as this happened, so it wasn't a very quick process. There were a bunch of minor thanes and leaders converting over a long period of time, but since there was no official rule there was no way to declare the entire region Christian until a unification (which was what these kings were doing.)
    Okay, that explains it even more. It would make sense. I remember reading about missions being built but wouldn't last very long, because of the utter distaste Christianity brought to the Nordic mindset at the time. It also always saddens me when I read up on the fall of the Nordic beliefs. They were very vibrant, the poetry I manage to catch translated is always pleasing for me to read.

I also get depressed over the Greek conversion of the Egyptian's theology as well. I really appreciate that religious viewpoint in a lot of ways as well.

Don't get me wrong, Christianity and the Greek pantheon don't offend me, I just found Egyptian/Nordic beliefs to be so... fitting for the society. The other ones seem a little too "One size fits all." Loses flavor, for lack of a better term.

10+ Year Old Account
    Harald Blåtann (Bluetooth) was Denmarks first king I believe, I don't know a whole lot about him.

Norway was on 29th of July , 1030 made a Christian nation. With the battle stiklestad, chieftains from the last region that where still heathens fought against Olav den hellige (Olaf haraldsson).
    Sadly, even with superior numbers the heathens lost, but Olaf Haraldsson was killed, and it was with he's death that the tide turned. And rumors of Olaf Haraldsson being a saint spread. When they dug up he's grave, he's corpse was still as fresh as it was when they buried him. And ofc, people took this as a sign that he was holy. And voila, people where converted.

That was a really simplistic version, probably with errors and all. But yeah :P
    Proud to be from the region that where last converted in Norway! Wish we had won lol.

I'm sure Denmark and Sweden got their own stories as to how their countires where covnerted to Christianity.

I agree. I'm very fond of Asatrú but I suppose everything ends eventually.

Also, on the topic: Olav Tryggvason, later Olaf I of Norway, had some very interesting techniques. Long story short, he was very keen on having people convert. Think even wikipedia had a lil' paragraph on the topic!
    Lmao, such an ancient Nordic approach to conversion. Screw all the house visits, and brochures. Find me some snakes, and lit charcoal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Do anyone of you remember this?
    Used to be able to buy 1 small sweet for 10-öre when I was little(I'm 27 so probably older then you guys :P)
    Wasn't born then, but now when I think about it we have all those old ören inherited by my grandpa. Useless now, but pretty cool. Maybe they will be worth something in the future? I dunno

Its sad... Asetro explains the world so much better than Christianity...

And lots of supernatural creatures being complete dicks... Also wouldnt it be awesome if our politicians were discussing potential military response to the Fenris wolf... xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do the nordics have such badass names for their towns/villages? I live in Sandwich. Thats a shitty name for a town >.<

Its sad because danish is the most awesome of scandinavian languages...
    Last edited by Catta; 2012-03-25 at 09:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everything nice View Post
    you, me, öresund at dawn. Bring your own battleaxe.
    go swede!!
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10 öringen stopped being made in 1991, a year before I was born.
    So... No.
    Aww, so tiny!

1992 you are gonna be able to buy liquor from systembolaget this year then! Congrats!
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

You, me, Öresund at dawn. Bring your own battleaxe.
    In a battle of wits... i dual wield...

In December, faaar to go. And I don't drink alcohol.
    And you call yourself a swede...

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Its sad because danish is the most awesome of scandinavian languages...
    God, yes it is. When my children are grown, or I make more money than I do currently for lessons, I'm learning Danish.
    Spanish first, for practicality, then Danish.

I'm in the process of taking Spanish classes, because I found some for FREE! Woo.

I have always loathed only speaking one language. It's the worst form of ignorance around. It will change. I have promised myself, beyond an act of the gods, that I will be trilingual. It WILL happen.

You, me, Öresund at dawn. Bring your own battleaxe.
    lol, you're lucky it isn't frozen anymore, or he could legally beat you with a stick
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

Deleted
    If the Oresund freezes over next winter i am going to camp it with a stick

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Nordics, have you heard about a little place called New Zealand? How come you never visit us with your awesome accents and festive mentalities.
    Because it's a feminist hell, otherwise I'd come to live there right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastiram View Post
    If the Oresund freezes over next winter i am going to camp it with a stick
    Thank God I speak Danish.

And I'd illegally cleave him with a battleaxe.
    You ask for so little...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.