Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Guild Wars Guru seem to do a rather good job of moderation. Not sure why people have the impression official forums could not be properly moderated. Heck, just hire the Guru people for a pittance.

Edit: Um, there are two threads about forums now. I get confused which one I am posting in & why. FML

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol other thread needs to be closed, mine was FURST.

Well there is some cases where moderation wasn't need at Guru but that happens everywhere, not just there.

They do a pretty good job at closing duplicate threads and keeping their threads on topic for the most part. I've never had a problem there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Guild Wars Guru seem to do a rather good job of moderation. Not sure why people have the impression official forums could not be properly moderated. Heck, just hire the Guru people for a pittance.

Edit: Um, there are two threads about forums now. I get confused which one I am posting in & why. FML
    Guru can be a bit too heavy handed at times. I won't deny they do a decent job, and honestly, I prefer heavy moderation over light if I had to choose between the two, but I hope ANet can be a little bit more balanced,

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well there is some cases where moderation wasn't need at Guru but that happens everywhere, not just there.

They do a pretty good job at closing duplicate threads and keeping their threads on topic for the most part. I've never had a problem there.
    Well, obviously Guru is a fansite and wish to cultivate a certain atmosphere. I find that to be fine. Just as say, Elitist Jerks.

Hopefully, those allowed to post on the GW2 forums must be customers. A bit less knee jerk-ness from Guru style moderation will work just fine on GW2:OF.

I have no issue with Guru to be clear. A fine fansite if one wishes for that sort of thing.

Well, if you like having a gun to your keyboard whenever you think to post something... that doesn't encourage community, it encourages hate from some and sheepism from the rest.

No thanks!
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Um, I am not sure on what you are talking about. But, okay?

10+ Year Old Account
    Um, I am not sure on what you are talking about. But, okay?
    Sounds like they're talking about posting on Guru, i personally haven't had any issues on guru but thats probably because i only go there to ask a question and then get yelled at for asking a dumb question lol...

---------- Post added 2012-03-15 at 02:44 PM ----------

Ah, looks like Anet will have official forums after all.

http://www.arena.net/blog/building-community
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Meh, oh well, maybe it'll turn out pretty well....
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Sounds like they're talking about posting on Guru, i personally haven't had any issues on guru but thats probably because i only go there to ask a question and then get yelled at for asking a dumb question lol...
    Yah, but "gun to your keyboard"? Kinda ludicrous.

It's a fansite, firstly. Secondly, shouldn't one want at least a tiny bit of the nonsense posts cut down?

I understand not everyone agrees one what constitutes nonsense. But surely some strict moderation is better than the wild west of the internet forums can quickly devolve toward.

Bioware, I am looking at you.

10+ Year Old Account

It's a fansite, firstly. Secondly, shouldn't one want at least a tiny bit of the nonsense posts cut down?

I understand not everyone agrees one what constitutes nonsense. But surely some strict moderation is better than the wild west of the internet forums can quickly devolve toward.

lol i haven't braved the SWTOR forums at all ever... i've just heard bad things about them... and gun to the keyboard is actually really accurate with some of the mods, some of the others however not so much.
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Meh. I think Guru do a fine job of sifting through a lot of outright nonsense. The alternative to tight moderation is a far less desirable outcome.

"JMHOTIOLIA2D", as usual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I hate to be pessimistic, but I don't see this happening. :S
    They sound way too optimistic about it.

Have to admit I am surprised they decided to add forums. If they have really strict moderation on these forums they will get reputation just like GW2G, but I expect they will have very easy moderation on these forums when they try achieve that "welcoming, inclusive and friendly" global community. In case GW2 sells several millions copies which is very likely then these forums will have same issues as swtor and wow.

arena.net never had "official" forums for Guild Wars, and I've never known a company to be so in touch with their fans.

I'd say official forums are actually a bad idea for gaming studios to be honest. It seems counter-intuitive. But something changes when you create a place for disgruntled customers to have a podium. It's a totally different vibe (and often way less constructive) than what you get on a fantsite.
    Ashin, Stormreaver
    South of Heaven

The counter is that a fan site blowing smoke up your arse is far worse for consumers & developers.

Guru forums are fine.
    I don't post there though. Just read something here and there.

On other forums, the Mod team are more like cops than mods. I don't like that.
    At least here in MMO-C you can talk to them. Even after an infraction for posting a meme. Yeah.

"A tiny bit" would be fine, but applying it to that site is an understatement, that's what I meant earlier - they don't just trim the fat. It doesn't stop at "nonsense", it goes to anything that's even remotely offtopic unless you specifically say something about going back on topic in the same post. You have to or you risk it getting deleted even when replying to someone. Little breathing room and flexibility in posts is what's ludicrous. You may be fine with all that, I'm not, others aren't either. Lots of people don't even post on those forums anymore, it's just the same handful crazily F5ing. lol

Yes the SWTOR forums are a cesspool, but that's mostly because the game is in cruddy shape and people are pissed at their purchase for a half-assed product. I know, I frequented it a lot before and after the game's release, and I also purchased the game and played it for a few months. I didn't start topics and go nuts or anything but I can see people's frustration. They are venting. But GW2 is going to be a great game so I don't see much issue happening on their forums.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Good, guru won't be the "main" forums with their mods.

I'd laugh if they hire the guru mods for their mods.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I'd laugh if they hire the guru mods for their mods.
    i'd laugh too! But at least we know the forum would be clean....

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    i'd laugh too! But at least we know the forum would be clean....
    Considering how fed up I'm sure ANet is with Guru, I don't see that happening though :P