Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Regarding the alleged SW TOR low population issue

I was reading some threads on this forum, where some claimed that there are several empty SW TOR servers. They also claimed that the population issue is so bad that people can't find others to quest together etc in starter zones etc, so I decided to take some screenshots. These were taken at 21:20 European Std Time. See for yourself:

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5...2031422201.jpg
    http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/5...2031422201.jpg

I play on Legions of Lettow. Let me tell you how's life at a "Standard" pop server. There were 40-65 people running around in the starting zone throughout the day. There were 25-45 people online in my guild, and there were 450 people online at the Capital City (Fleet) a few minutes ago when I got there.
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-03-14 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Changed images to urls as they were over regulation size.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

450 people online in the fleet on a standard server?

Only 30-50 in the fleet on my server, and it's standard!
    Last edited by Harnace; 2012-03-14 at 08:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ... whats the ratio of E:R on that ... on my standard server, republic side is really %$#@ for population. Most of the complaints of "Low Pop" servers are from people that their side is crap

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanni View Post

There has been some, shall we say, "curiosity" over the exact definitions and accuracy of BioWare's population categories. I recall times when the population seemed particularly "light" but it was categorized as "standard" and times when it seemed decently populated but said "light."

I had toons spread across four servers and on both sides so I bounced around, and got to see the server list, regularly. Not to mention the times the server status page did not seem to match up very well with the in-game server list.

Perhaps the classifications "float?"

Though my big "WTF" with those screenshots would be... "Do you really only have one toon?" I was up to 19 by the time I bailed.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-03-14 at 09:13 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    My server is standard and most people aren't even off work yet and there is almost 100 people on fleet.

I play Empire, basically because my compatriots ALWAYS choose to play mostly Horde at WoW and Empire at SW TOR. There were 206 online at the fleet a few minutes ago, I will take more screenies.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmmm 450 in Fleet? Im on Swiftsure Empire side and I never see that many in fleet, its usually around 230 and Swiftsure is one of the most populated servers round the clock. Im not saying we have a population issue, definitely not on Swiftsure at least. But to say 450 on fleet doesnt seem accurate.

i had not played for a few weeks but i logged in the other day at different times and Rakata Mind Prison server does not seem as busy any more
    I'm waiting for the patch to see if it will smooth out the game play otherwise i will try the game again in a few months, it just seems to me we all paid for a beta, they should have ironed a lot of stuff out instead of rushing it out the door

so, right now on my two servers are following number of people on fleet:
    Chuundar (standard):
    Empire - 64
    Republic - 25
    (also 4 on Hutta and 11 on tatooine pub side)
    and on Dune Bantha (also standard):
    Empire - 26 (and 60 50s in total on whole server)
    Republic - 31 (and 65 50s in total)
    and 20 people on Ord Mantell.

So much for the 'pop is fine'

Edit:
    For some giggles I've also created toon on a light pop server and here are the numbers:
    Empire: 18 ppl on fleet and 17 50s on whole server.
    Republic: 8 ppl on fleet and 18 50s on whole server.
    We had more people on a private WoW server that only a very tight community was playing on than this.
    Last edited by h4rr0d; 2012-03-14 at 09:27 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanni View Post

Yeah my original server peaked with 40 in the fleet last night. Sure on the weekend I can see it near 100 people, usually bouncing around 80. But the leveling planets are 10 or less.

So yes while you can take a screenshot and show server pops as primarily standard, that shows nothing. It doesn't show raw numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Hmmmm 450 in Fleet? Im on Swiftsure Empire side and I never see that many in fleet, its usually around 230 and Swiftsure is one of the most populated servers round the clock. Im not saying we have a population issue, definitely not on Swiftsure at least. But to say 450 on fleet doesnt seem accurate.
    I could have been wrong. Might have been 250. 210 a few seconds ago.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7...2031423221.jpg
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-03-14 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Changed image to url as it was over regulation size.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    I could have been wrong. Might have been 250. 210 a few seconds ago.
    lol

Yeah, there is a smidge of a difference between 450 and 250. Though, seriously now, do you really only have one toon?

Yes. I only started yesterday as a paying customer. I was on trial for 2 days more on a diff account.

the important question is, are you having fun and can you find ppl for the activities you want to do when you want to do them? i care not about numbers

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. I only started yesterday as a paying customer. I was on trial for 2 days more on a diff account.
    Ah, okay... That sheds some light on where you are coming from. No worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmedic View Post
    the important question is, are you having fun and can you find ppl for the activities you want to do when you want to do them? i care not about numbers
    Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well in that case, welcome to SWTOR!

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Well in that case, welcome to SWTOR!
    Thanks mate.

What qualifies as standard is a huge gap. Lower pop realms will have less then 100 on for either faction and still qualify as standard. From what I have seen and read you dont hit heavy until you are over 500. I know I was on a sever that was often at standard but both imp and pubs rarely had over 20 in any zone including fleet. This makes it very hard to do anything. I dont know how servers that are light all the time do anything or why ppl bother to log on.

---------- Post added 2012-03-14 at 11:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmedic View Post
    This is a very fair and somewhat accurate statement. As numbers drop ppl leave and go eslewhere it starts a downward spiral and leaves a void of ppl to do things. If you like doing any larger in game events you have to have multiple ppl. Ops or pvp is dependant on many others.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    playing on Darth Traya German PvP...
    No Population Problems at all... i do the Dailys most of the Time at Night, and even then you find people for the Group Dailys.

We could however use more Republic Players^^
    But i think you find this Problem on almost all Servern.

population has only become worse... maybe the patch can save it all?