Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

SUPER EXCITED for 5v5

So i been reading allot of stuff just about the talent system, just trying to think what would be the best comp for 5v5

So far i have thoguht of this

Speed Warrior:
    Now the warrior generally has a decent amount of access to swiftness through skills:
    Charge
    I Will Avenge You!
    Signet of Rage

Today I want to focus on Charge

Untraited, charge looks something like this:

"Grant swiftness to yourself and allies, while removing chill, cripple, and immobilize. "
    Grants: Swiftness 10s
    Cooldown: 20 Seconds

Now this provides 50% uptime, which is quite powerful, and allows the warrior to grant his entire team really strong movement bursts.

But we can do better

Enter Traits:

Starting with the Tactics Traitline:

Minor Traits:
    Determined Revival: Gain extra armor while reviving.
    Fast Healer: Increased revive speed.
    Empower Allies: Nearby allies do extra damage.

All useful traits, Empower allies will provide the most benefit of the bunch to a supportive warrior, but what we're really concerned about is putting 30 points in Tactics.

Tactics: Passives: +10 Vitality, +1 Concentration
    Concentration: Improves the duration of all boons applied by the character.

So after 30 points in Tactics, or a 30% increase in boons, this is our new charge skill:

"Grant swiftness to yourself and allies, while removing chill, cripple, and immobilize. "
    Grants: Swiftness 10s->13s
    Cooldown: 20 Seconds

Our uptime just increased quite a bit, from 10s to 13s. That's a 65% uptime if used on every cooldown. Not bad...

Support Guardian:
    Weapon sets: 1st - Sword/offhand (most of the time it'll be torch, but I also really like the shield and focus skills, so I'll swap from time to time.
    2nd - Greatsword, staff, or hammer, depending on situation.

Traits -

Zeal (+ power, boon duration) - 20
    - Zealot's Speed: Gain 10 seconds of Swiftness when health dips below 50% health (30 second cooldown)
    - Zealous Courage: You trigger a symbol of courage at your location when you reach 50% health

+Two handed power - Your damage with two handed weapons is increased 5%

+Fiery Wrath - You deal 10% more damage to burning foes.

Radiance (+ precision, condition duration): 30
    - Justice is Blind: Justice blinds enemies
    - Critical Brilliance: You have a chance to blind enemies with your critical attacks
    - Critical Radiance: You have a chance to burn enemies with your critical attacks

+right handed strength - 15% increased crit chance with one handed weapons

+Powerful blades - sword and spear damage increased 5%

For the third, not sure whether I'll go radiant fire or writ of precision. Better cooldowns for torch or better crit for symbols?

Valor (+ toughness, critical damage): 0

Honor (+ vitality, healing): 10
    - Protective Reviver: You and your ally gain aegis when you revive them.

+two handed mastery - your two handed weapons recharge 25% faster.

Virtues (+ condition damage, virtue recharge): 10
    - Resolute: Increase the duration of Resolve

+Judgemental - smite causes burning every 4 attacks instead of 5.

Healing Skill - Shelter

Utilities -

These will be open to change based on the situation, that and I can't read the text of the skill video very well, but basically I'll probably run with one signet, one spirit weapon, and one shout. I was looking forward to using symbol of courage in my utility slot, but it appears to be gone. Here's hoping skills are still up in the air enough that it may return.

Blood Necromancer:
    Another option is a build akin to this:

Basically its a very defensive oriented setup that has 2 "phases".

You are either in your humanoid form (phase 1), in which case you try to:
    1) Leech Life; multitude of ways.
    a) Through one of the wells, they leech life and protect you (either through blind or stacking weakness)
    b) Weapon abilities; Life Siphon and Locust Swarm

2) Gain as much Life Force as you can for phase 2

Phase 2 is death shroud phase. In which you just try to stay as long as you can to give all your cooldowns time to come back up.

-------

The whole concept is meshed together rather quickly. The whole well thing can be dropped, but I figured I'd be fun to include those a bit more (they are underused :P).

The main concept of the build is that you use your life leeching abilities as much as you can, and use death shroud as a buffer. A bit like the wound master but much more defensive oriented.

Weapons and utility can freely be swapped. And there is a lot of leeway in the traits too.
    This simple concept was mostly about:
    1) Use your leech abilities
    2) Use a cripple/immobilize and drop a well to benefit from its defenses (weakness/blind) while it restores your health (through trait or blood well). The wells have a long cooldown but you should be able to use 1 or 2 each time you're in human form.
    3) Try to gain as much life force if possible. Spectral armor works nice for that (or use it just before you enter DS if that trick still works); or use an alternative.
    4) Pop into DS whenever your life force is full, and use those precious seconds to let your cooldowns tick away, and abuse dark path, doom and life transfer. (Life Blast might be a bad idea).

Fights will take long, but the idea is that you're neigh unkillable :P.

Elementalist:
    Spike
    --Traits: Air: +25% damage to foes under 25% health +50% dmg to foes who are knocked down or stunned.
    Eath skills recharge 15% faster
    --Scepter/dagger: earthquake to knock down nearby opponents followed by churning earth.
    For 150% - 175% dmg.

Survivability
    --traits: Water: mist form at 33% health, mist form chills nearby enemies
    signets always keep passive effect
    --utility: mist form
    --Signets: heal everytime I cast, lose a condition every 3 secs, cleansing fire: break out of stun + loose all conditions.

Thief:
    Critical Strikes 30
    Signet Use: Gain Initiative when activating a Signet
    Critical Haste: 10% chance to gain haste on crit
    Fast Signets: 20% faster Signet CD. (Only 6 seconds down for gaining Initiative via signets, filler: Stealth) Not sure on this one yet though.

Shadow Arts 30
    Patience: Regain Initiative faster while in stealth
    Infusion of Shadow: 2 initiative when using a stealthing ability
    Hidden Thief: Stealing Stealths you (free 2 initiative)

Trickery 10
    Uncatchable: Throw Caltraps on dodge. (not certain on this one, seems like a nice utility though.)

Goal: Have initiative to blow
    Signet use = only 6 seconds down on initiative gain ( 1 signet every 10 seconds )
    Stealth as a filler for initiative.
    Heal 30 sec cd = Initiative
    Steal 30 sec cd = initiative
    Cloak and dagger only costing 3 initiative.
    3 seconds of stealth at <1 s/p Initiative

Sword and Dagger to play the avoidance annoyance, with an abundance of stealth to get in an out, and easy access to initiative, caltraps on dodge and some CC from Dagger Pistol.

Not to be a straight blow em up spec, but more a fun in and out of combat kind of deal. Play the harrassing prick on the Battlefield, but has one on one potential if need be.

So i honestly think these will be the best comp for 5v5, the mobilty of the team is just outstanding, since most maps have 5 nodes the necromancer and guardian can guard a node by themselves, so living the ele/warrior/thief on O to hold the 3rd node and move to defend each node. Since the warrior/ele can keep swiftness up on that group pretty much the whole time. Really excited to see what ya have for ideas for comps and different builds

I love this thread

im guessing that this kinda frowned upon. Since this sounds like fotm comp blah blah wow stuff. But this is why i love this game, the amount of customizations is just amazing i can already see what is going to be the "best spec" for every profession. well for each role, control, support and damage

10+ Year Old Account
    ... are you realy trying to make a 5's comp FTM in a game that barely is into its beta stage? These stats/traits aren't even set in stone yet, and on top of that there is no arenas in GW2 (yet, unfortunatey I think it will be implemented due to high demand...)

... just... mind boggling...
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

im sry just super excited is all, but there is competitive pvp in gw2 if i wasnt mistake... Thought it was 5v5

I'm thinking a comp of.

Warrior
    Thief
    Guardian
    Necro
    Mesmer

The guardian will be support/defensive and defend a node

The Mesmer will be defending with the guardian being annoying and dpsing

The necro will be I'll defensive spec and guard a node

The thief and warrior will be pure burst dps and be the harrasing/roaming party.
    Last edited by Valek; 2012-03-15 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcbeaty View Post
    im sry just super excited is all, but there is competitive pvp in gw2 if i wasnt mistake... Thought it was 5v5
    There is indeed competitive pvp in GW2 and it is indeed 5v5

Quote Originally Posted by Valek View Post
    I'm thinking a comp of.

Warrior
    Thief
    Guardian
    Necro
    Engineer

The guardian will be support/defensive and defend a node

The Mesmer will be defending with the guardian being annoying and dpsing

The necro will be I'll defensive spec and guard a node

The thief and warrior will be pure burst dps and be the harrasing/roaming party.
    where is the mesmer? idk much about them, what kind of builds what they be using? the necro and guardian are pretty always going to be the same

Applaud the effort and enthusiasm, but yh...I'm holding off on things like this until we know for certain what everything will do. Would suck to get too excited for a feature, only to have Anet remove it later
    I am really excited about pvp in GW2 though, the only MMO that has truly interested me for pvp as much as it does pve.

Well I think we can safely assume that even though these traits and skills are not set in stone, the degree to which changes will be made to them upon release will probably not be severe.

I doubt much will be significantly overhauled between now and release regarding skills and traits unless there is some sort of impending issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Applaud the effort and enthusiasm, but yh...I'm holding off on things like this until we know for certain what everything will do. Would suck to get too excited for a feature, only to have Anet remove it later
    I am really excited about pvp in GW2 though, the only MMO that has truly interested me for pvp as much as it does pve.
    Never really been to interested dragon slaying, only reason why i did it in wow was to have the advantage with gear. But thank god arenanet for seperating both realms "pve/pvp" leaves more time to focus on something i really enjoy more and look how far the game has come. It looks almost finished to me, i dont see them changing too many things since im predicting the game is going to come out in 2nd/3rd quarter this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, i'm just going to be going overall support/control with some damage thrown in the mix, i just can tel trying to specialize solely on one of them will lead to utter failure and uselessness...

If we're going for a team comp i'd probably go with:

Ranger
    Mesmer
    Guardian
    Necromancer
    Engineer

I don't really care how anyone in the comp specs as long as it's not a failure build (IE can't do anything well)
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Guardian Guardian Elementalist Elementalist Necro

Quote Originally Posted by mcbeaty View Post
    Never really been to interested dragon slaying, only reason why i did it in wow was to have the advantage with gear. But thank god arenanet for seperating both realms "pve/pvp" leaves more time to focus on something i really enjoy more and look how far the game has come. It looks almost finished to me, i dont see them changing too many things since im predicting the game is going to come out in 2nd/3rd quarter this year.
    More than separating...they're making the transition between the two seamless. Removes the barriers for many people.
    That, together with how purely fun the combat looks, is what's got me all dizzy

Not to be a party pooper but there are features in the game we have no idea about. There are also cross profession combos that will vastly change metal set ups and some classes could be down right overpowered.

Coming up with teams before the game h even reached in public beta is a waste of time, although I will comment that speed bonuses in games are not worth it compared to crippling someone. It's a lot more lethal to prevent someone from doing something it crip
    Long the,, rate than getting to a target faster to hit them.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    Not to be a party pooper but there are features in the game we have no idea about. There are also cross profession combos that will vastly change metal set ups and some classes could be down right overpowered.

Coming up with teams before the game h even reached in public beta is a waste of time, although I will comment that speed bonuses in games are not worth it compared to crippling someone. It's a lot more lethal to prevent someone from doing something it crip
    lol i know right? I just threw out what i think the coolest comp would be xD, no actual reason behind it otherwise!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Mesmer
    Mesmer
    Mesmer
    Mesmer
    Mesmer

Illusions and clones EVERYWHERE
    5v5? more like 20v5

Quote Originally Posted by Shufflepants View Post
    Mesmer
    Mesmer
    Mesmer
    Mesmer
    Mesmer

5v5? more like 20v5
    I chuckled.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post

well the only reason i would see crippling/freezing/root someone is just to stop them to getting a node faster, the only case i see that is with the thief. And only at the start of the game where we are racing to the nodes. Over then that i would imagine it would just to be use to help someone kite which swiftness does the same thing. Or we have the give up the node and move to the next one and trying to slow them down. But if hold 3 to begin with and reinforce accordingly to each node under attack. Both the Necro and Guard are built for defense and of the opposing team decides to send 4-5 of their teammates to one node means one of theirs' isnt guarded and can be ninja very easy.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shufflepants View Post
    Mesmer
    Mesmer
    Mesmer
    Mesmer
    Mesmer

5v5? more like 20v5
    Lol sounds legit. This is my comp.