Deleted

Question Side-Scrolling Platform Games Survey

Hello all,

For my final year I'm investigating how to make Side-Scrolling Platform Games (SSPG) more interesting for the current gen. They used to be made in overdose back in the day, but now it seems that big developers lost interest in the genre (except for nintendo). Ubisoft's Rayman Origins also didn't sell well at all, so there must be something that's holding the genre back. I have set up a survey with some questions to determine what the key factors are to make this genre feel exciting again.

I would appreciate if you are willing to fill in the survey. It takes about 5 minutes of your time.

www.surveymonkey.com/s/C25KDB2

Thank you,

Bellerophon

< fixed link for ya >
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2012-03-15 at 05:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing I noticed on your survey was that it really didn't ask what kinds of scrollers we prefer(unless I missed it). There are really two primary types: the more linear ones like Sonic and Mario, and then the ones with a sense of exploration to them like the Metroid series. I personally believe the 2nd type is more popular with older players while the more linear type is more popular and associated with younger players(unless its designed to be brutally hard like Super Meat Boy) though I personally like both types equally. I think that primarily the lack of interest in them is that they are mostly considered by the masses to be either "kiddy" games or to old school for people as well as the fact that a lot of the good new ones seem to be released only as download only games which really kills the amount of people that have access to them and may turn people away from them altogether. If more of the non-linear type were created with the same production values as Sonic Generations or LittleBig Planet then I think they would become much more popular with the people who initially ignore such games. Unfortunately the only two games that really stick out in my mind as being non-linear scrollers released in the past year or so in a retail release were the 3DS remake of CaveStory and the DS game Monster Tale. When Koji Igarashi set out to create the non-linear entry to the Castlevania series, Symphony of the Night, he said his primary interest on working on it was after seeing many of the classic linear games of the series like Bloodlines and Rondo of Blood in a bargain bin at a retail store since those particular games had limited replay value. I really wish both types of scrollers would become more popular and at least there has been a small resurgence of them here and there but I still long for the days when scrollers and turn based RPGs were king.

Deleted
    Quite a wall of text you got there, some white spaces would be nice :P

The reason I didn't ask about which type you like more (you didn't miss it), is because I don't really know what I would do with that information. Atleast not at this time. I personally don't think that linear/non-linear is connected to the age of the target audiance. It's more about that overall design and art that determine the target audiance. Both target audiances are big enough for a game to be succesful though.

It's true that alot of platform games are now being developed by indie developers and can only be reached by download on SEN/XBLA. This would explain why those games would be less populair. But some other games, like Rayman Origins have been selling really bad even though that game is available on disc and is playable on alot of differant platforms. The only platform games that have been selling well are first party nintendo franchises (mario and dkc).

Furthermore I do believe that the Side-Scrolling Platform Game genre does feel a little old-school (even though I did enjoy DKCR). That's also what I'm trying to reveal in my survey, what makes it feel old-school, what needs updating? What would make it feel "new-school"?

The genre is pretty old-school, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

I don't think I'd ever pay 40€ for a side-scroller... but paying 12€ for a brilliant game like Trine 2 is perfectly acceptable.

Deleted
    And why wouldn't you pay €40,- for a side-scroller? Can't get your money's worth out of it timewise? To short singleplayer? Lack of/unenjoyable co-op/competitive mp? A.k.a. not enough replayable content?

I'll pay full price for a side-scroller if I know I'm going to get my money's worth. I enjoy side-scrolling Mario and Kirby games just as much as 3D platformers, and they often have a lot of content too. Sometimes it can take quite awhile to complete them 100%. The last 2D Mario had something like 70+ levels? I dunno. Anyway, I completed that game 100% (all star coins) twice, on single-player and co-op. I'm still working through Kirby Wii and Donkey Kong, but I'm sure I'll do the same on those.

I love the addition of co-op in the newer Nintendo platformers too. It's usually quite a bit more fun than playing single-player, even if you want to murder your friends afterwards.
    Last edited by Duruka; 2012-03-15 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bellerophon View Post
    And why wouldn't you pay €40,- for a side-scroller? Can't get your money's worth out of it timewise? To short singleplayer? Lack of/unenjoyable co-op/competitive mp? A.k.a. not enough replayable content?
    None of those reasons actually, it's just that I generally like games with strong stories, and such games are rarely platform games. They tend to be rpgs or adventure games.

That doesn't mean I don't occasionally enjoy playing platformers, but I'm perfectly fine with waiting for the price to drop before buying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bellerophon View Post

It's true that alot of platform games are now being developed by indie developers and can only be reached by download on SEN/XBLA. This would explain why those games would be less populair. But some other games, like Rayman Origins have been selling really bad even though that game is available on disc and is playable on alot of differant platforms. The only platform games that have been selling well are first party nintendo franchises (mario and dkc).

Furthermore I do believe that the Side-Scrolling Platform Game genre does feel a little old-school (even though I did enjoy DKCR). That's also what I'm trying to reveal in my survey, what makes it feel old-school, what needs updating? What would make it feel "new-school"?
    Well I guess what I am trying to say is that I do personalty feel that non-linear scrollers would help to increase the popularity of the genre more than linear ones. A lot of the games you had listed on your poll are fairly short games that while good you still would end up finishing the main game in one or two sittings, like for example Sonic Generations. The ones you do end up having to play more are usually ones which throw out a collection of difficult stages that may take people many tries to actually complete, the Donkey Kong Country series would probably fall under that category. The problem I see with this is that outside of the fans of the genre and those seeking a challenge or to complete the game you will more then likely get a large portion of players who will become frustrated with the game and since they can not pass beyond a certain road block stage they will more then likely end up disliking the game and possibly the style of game as a whole.

I don't think this was as big as a case in the past because back then most scrollers were all for the most part above normal difficulty, whether that difficulty was intentional or not, with only a few games here and there that were fairly easy like for example I would say the Kirby games have always been more on the easy side. Back then it was pretty much the norm to have games that were this challenging but I think with the hiatus the genre has gone through over the years and with its recent attempt to come back that the groups of players who try these games are more divided. You will have those who think the scrollers of today as far to easy and lose interest and those who think they are to difficult and will become frustrated. Even though there will always be those who like the more traditional scrollers I think that in order to stay relevant with the mass audiences of today is for the genre to incorporate lots of different elements from different expansions of the genre.

I think that scrollers should be made with lots of different ideas for mechanics to keep the player interested. For example minor RPG elements and item collecting can add a lot more to the game, potentially with the ability to alter how easy or difficult the game becomes based on the players tastes and game style. I think non-linear scrollers would attract more players as it would add much more interest in exploration as well as secret or alternate routs through the game that would give the player a sense of choice and may allow them to get around something that in a linear game would possibly become a road block but now would have an alternate route to discover or an alternate way to use the games mechanics to get around. For example maybe to progress towards a room with a boss you would have to cross over some very tricky platforming areas, however you could also go back and maybe work towards an optional item that would allow you to wall jump upwards to a higher level and would allow you to more easily traverse it, the more veteran player could try and get across the platforms while someone else may go back and try working for the optional item to get around it. I think designers should be looking at mechanics of 3D games and trying to see how they could make a transition from that into 2D, just like how it was the opposite when 3D games became popular. Lots of choices and an almost sand box feel to parts of them sort of like Terraria.

Then of course beyond the actual mechanics are the elements of sound, characters, art style and story. As much as I adore the classic cartoon mascot characters of the past they have become pretty much universally associated with a kids game and so many may ignore it as well as the designer seemingly unintentionally having to market the game towards a specific audience. If the game wants to truly reach a large audience it would have to include a world that doesn't seem to kiddy but at the same time not to dark with characters to match. I would say that if the Zelda series or Bastion were to somehow become a side scrolling series that they would contain a good middle ground that would attract both sides of players. Even though there are always rare cases like for example Braid and Odin Sphere, most scrollers have not had much development as far as a plot or story is concerned. Most download only scrollers are similar to this in that they seem to focus much more on just the raw mechanics rather then anything else, which is good if that is what you want. However if the creator wants to reach more people then I believe they truly do have to put some effort into making an engaging plot that will keep the players hooked to the game.

There will always be the fans of the genre who will play all different types of scrollers but I believe that if a designer wants to go in and create a new age side scroller that truly can drag in a mass audience rather then just a key group then they have to be willing to expand upon the mechanics, look back at the design and elements of a lot of modern games and realize that unfortunately now a days if they want to make their game stand out they are going to have to go beyond traditional run and jump design.

I recently finished Trine 2 playing co-op and that was a blast. First side scroller I've enjoyed since.... SNES.

edit: To further elaborate, the need for multiple people and classes to solve puzzles is what I found the most intriguing. While I think it can be completed single player, the solutions vary wildly when you add another player to the mix.