Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Well if its another MMO with loads of numbers, balancing trends, people optimizing stuff, disregard for roleplaying, elitists and lack of storyline then I may proudly say NO.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should make it similar to Phantasy Star Online/Universe with offline/LAN and online modes. If you decide to make a character online then it will save your character to their servers so you cant mod it.

Deleted
    Posed this very question a few months back, seems it might be true.

I'm not going to lie, I have often sat back and wondered how Skyrim might play out in an online environment. However, I still feel the far more logical progression path for these games would be Dedicated Server play, almost down the very same lines as minecraft.

A group of people or individual decide to host a world on a server like Minecraft, where selected players are permitted to join, play, and develop a character within that world.

Onbviously this would have to be taken into account when designing the game, such as increased importance in the restoration tree and group quests, but it truly does not seem like a such a ridiculous suggestion.

Why does everything have to be MMO or single-player when it comes to RPG's? Why can't we strike a middle ground between Massively-Multiplayer and Single-Player that extends beyond the current limit of 4 players?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    OT: I hope they will still make singleplayer games... an MMO is fine, but lets not ruin a good single player series...
    *cough* warcraft *cough*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hawt09 View Post
    Why does everything have to be MMO or single-player when it comes to RPG's? Why can't we strike a middle ground between Massively-Multiplayer and Single-Player that extends beyond the current limit of 4 players?
    Simply put, because either the game server runs somewhere at a Service Provider (MMO) or it runs locally (single player). Any other intermediate possibility runs into technical hurdles (who hosts the world - which is larger than your average LoL map, the network traffic the hosts has to put up with, the security of data on the wannabe server to prevent hacking and so on). Of course, you can still have a cooperative game that way, but anything with a persistent world has to overcome major technical obstacles.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Oh God why bother? Could we please stop this terrible trend of turning everything into mmo's?!
    Yeah I feel the same thing. Everyone wants in on the MMO bandwaggon.
    We don't need nor want more.

Quote Originally Posted by hawt09 View Post
    Posed this very question a few months back, seems it might be true.

I'm not going to lie, I have often sat back and wondered how Skyrim might play out in an online environment. However, I still feel the far more logical progression path for these games would be Dedicated Server play, almost down the very same lines as minecraft.

A group of people or individual decide to host a world on a server like Minecraft, where selected players are permitted to join, play, and develop a character within that world.

Onbviously this would have to be taken into account when designing the game, such as increased importance in the restoration tree and group quests, but it truly does not seem like a such a ridiculous suggestion.

That would be really, really cool. It would be fantastic if you could really have an impact on the world, say depending on what factions you join. Say one half of the server join the (to use a Skyrim example) Stormcloaks and the other half join the Imperial Legion; and you would then fight for control over the cities, have skirmishes with each other in the woods and generally wage war on each other.

Or everyone (or most people) could join the Companions and do a lot of missions based on that, forming the world according to that. It would also be really cool on rather large servers, since all the different factions would really compete for power against each other.

Quote Originally Posted by mofi View Post
    *cough* warcraft *cough*
    You're missing the point though.. Warcraft wasn't and isn't the same type of game as TES. You can fool around, change the world around you.

Do you think if there was a TES MMO, you'd be able to pick up pots and pans and put them on people's heads? Toss them away?

Push objects around, murder NPCs? Hell no. A huge chunk of what makes the single player experience fun wouldn't be possible, or at least not possible without phasing to the point where you may as well be playing single player.

Quote Originally Posted by Taros View Post
    Am I the only person alive who thinks every Elder Scrolls game after Daggerfall was/is complete garbage?
    oblivion and skyrim i will agree were no where near as good as they could have been, but Morrowind was a work of art. sure it had its exploits but the setting/lore the game was set on was a masterpiece.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Simply put, because either the game server runs somewhere at a Service Provider (MMO) or it runs locally (single player). Any other intermediate possibility runs into technical hurdles (who hosts the world - which is larger than your average LoL map, the network traffic the hosts has to put up with, the security of data on the wannabe server to prevent hacking and so on). Of course, you can still have a cooperative game that way, but anything with a persistent world has to overcome major technical obstacles.
    Hence why I said the purchasing of Dedicated Server Space as happens for Minecraft and pretty much any serious FPS on the PC ^^

Deleted
    I love WOW, but i find Lore found in Morrowinds game way more interesting than all lore i have found in wow. No other game have taken me that deep into solo player game for so many (hundreds) of hours... I even were reading those wall of text dialogs..AND in-game books!! Why? Because they were great. If they take all that superb lore into MMO game and made it NOT-raid or PVP driven, but more like a place to simply find various adventures and real role players (yea well that would not pay out developement bills if playerbase where just roleplayers, i know) it could be best thing out there for me. Even could stop playing wow Oh well, one can dream about it, right? :P

I hope there will be Skyrim locations and Oblivion itself in that MMO.

If done well, and if there is no subscription fee, then I might check it out, Tamriel is an awesome place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Oh God why bother? Could we please stop this terrible trend of turning everything into mmo's?!
    Agreed. /10char

Given the balance issues and bugs that plague their single player games, a Bethesda MMO is something I would stay away from for at least a year.

The kinds of problems that, say, Skyrim has/had they could get away with as a single player game. As an MMO they would get shredded into pieces too small to identify. And an MMO would be many times bigger than Skyrim.

Quote Originally Posted by Taros View Post
    Am I the only person alive who thinks every Elder Scrolls game after Daggerfall was/is complete garbage?
    Welcome to the club IMHO, the only comptent asset Bethesda has are geeky artists who like to do detailed stuff that nobody cares about and geeky programmers, who like to core irrelevant features which never work the way they are supposed to anyway. Anyway, people who design story and gameplay (I am not even talking about horrible dialogues) at Bethesda really have no idea about how to do these things properly.

An Elder Scrolls MMO... that would be a laugh...

With all the horrible bugs in TES series as single player, not to mention the imbalances (mages vs archers vs melee) and the general messes that have to be modded to fix, I don't see Bethesda making a solid MMO.
    I love TES series, but without full mod control they're actually kind of bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd try it.

To those downing the thought of yet another mmo, you have to remember that its competition, that fuels innovation. I personally welcome yet another mmo from a big studio like Bethesda. They have the funds and talent at that company to really put for a quality product. That being said doesn't mean it will be a quality product but if it is yet another threat to player base of (insert your fav mmo here) nothing but good things can come from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
    No, Dwemer =/= Dunmer, as the man said Dwemer are a completely different breed of Elf, sharing common ancestors with the dark elves just as the Altmer and Falmer.
    ok let me break it down

-mer (elves) all looked similar and are a similar size
    -dwemer looked similar to chimer
    -chimer had pale gold skin

-dwemer lived in morrowind already when the chimer moved in
    -nords took over morrowind
    -chimer and dwemer buddied up to defeat nords

-after the battle of red mountain, the chimer were changed into dunmer, they had their appearance altered
    -dwemer disappeared, even rourkan's clan in hammerfell

there is nothing that makes you think that dwemer looked differently since they were never transformed by a pissed off daedra
    even orcs looked like the other Mer races until they were transformed

the most visually distinct elves were the snow elves (falmer) who had a coating of blue/white ice over their skin. they didn't look like the falmer do today, even though the falmer are snow elves

all mer were the same thing at one point. they were changed for different reasons, mostly as punishment (or in the case of the falmer because to live with the dwemer they were required to eat fungus that made them go blind and it all went downhill from there)

but like i correctly said, the dunmer were never at war with the dwemer, they were both part of Resdayn, the original Morrowind, and joined together to take it back from the nords

they were never one big happy family but co-existed and the dunmer didn't exist then, they were still chimer

chimer and dwemer

chimer become dunmer, dwemer disappear

chimer/dwemer as we know them are gone

nothing points to dwemer being any different than every other Mer before they were transformed for whatever reason.

falmer/orcs/dunmer = not normal looking Mer

the difference in mer was mostly political/religious

---------- Post added 2012-03-16 at 11:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Senbo View Post
    oblivion and skyrim i will agree were no where near as good as they could have been, but Morrowind was a work of art. sure it had its exploits but the setting/lore the game was set on was a masterpiece.
    and it was extremely tedious. tedious games don't make it these days. tedious wasn't fun EVER, it was just the only option.
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2012-03-16 at 04:37 PM.