Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Editions Announced

Don't know if this has been posted but here goes...

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Editions Announced

The countdown on the BaldursGate.com website has finished, but even after waiting for the massive slowdown to pass by, we're not left with a whole lot of information to glean from it. Thankfully, Beamdog's Trent Oster has been busy sharing some information via Twitter, which I'll combine snippets from (along with everything else we know) below:

• Overhaul Games (Beamdog's development arm) is heading up the projects, with the support of both Atari and Wizards of the Coast.

• The new Beamdog newsletter states a Summer 2012 release date, at least for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (no release date for Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition yet).

• Tales of the Sword Coast will be included in the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Throne of Bhaal will be included in the Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition.

• There will be "new content for the game you love, made by some of the original team members".

• The team is doing their best to provide support for mods, old and new.

• Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition will be exclusive to Beamdog (on PC), though other platforms will be announced next week at the very same time. The very first screenshots will debut then, too.

• The BG:EE will utilize the 2nd Edition D&D ruleset, just as the original games did. Beamdog's motto: "Don't break the fun."

• The "Infinity Enhanced" engine that powers both Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition will be "based off the latest Throne of Bhaal code base". That means we can use class kits and wild mages in the original Baldur's Gate!

• The team is making it a point to support as many languages as they can.

• No new-fangled 3D-rendered graphics, here. They're going "2D isometric all the way", just the way we like it.

• The team is going to stick with the original BG model of limited voiceovers because it "allows for more in-depth writing." Good call.

• As of right now, our old BG1 and BG2 save games should work in the Enhanced Editions. The team hasn't had to change the save game formats... yet, anyway.

• There will be all-new characters for us to meet and recruit into our party in the Enhanced Editions. Voiced by all-new actors, no less.

• The Enhanced Editions will likely only be released digitally, so your old Baldur's Gate boxed copies will have to continue taking up your prized shelf space for now.

• The interface will see some revising, specifically to increase the size of the font (and hopefully the characters) at high resolutions. Elaborating further, Trent states that they have the original source code and are attempting to rework the UI and rendering.

• Once you're finished with the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, you will be able to import your character into the Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, just as we could with the original games.

• The team is "looking for new ways" to attach Baldur's Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast and Baldur's Gate II + Throne of Bhaal into one cohesive title. And, yes, that would be nothing short of awesome.

• The outdated DirectPlay network interface used by Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II has been "macheted" to make room for something that is "better". Here's to hoping co-op multiplayer will be vastly improved!

• The ultimate goal? The new Enhanced Editions are "part of the master plan" toward the possibility of a Baldur's Gate III.

• And, finally, we have an official announcement:
    Announcing Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™

March 15, 2012 - Atari, Wizards of the Coast, and Overhaul Games are pleased to announce work has begun on the Enhanced Edition of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II.

Since its initial release in 1998, Baldur’s Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe, and has received countless awards. This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons® computer roleplaying games ever since.

RE-FORGED BY OVERHAUL GAMES

Overhaul Games has assembled a talented team of artists, programmers and designers to enhance this timeless classic. To remain true to the spirit of the game, the team includes original Baldur’s Gate developers.

RELIVE THE MOST EPIC STORY EVER TOLD

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition™ will feature a re-forged version of the Infinity Engine with a variety of modern improvements.

THE GREATEST ROLEPLAYING GAME OF ALL TIME, ENHANCED

For all information regarding Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ visit www.baldursgate.com
    Source Link

---------- Post added 2012-03-16 at 10:34 AM ----------

Just found another thread on the subject, sorry mods. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...wn-to.../page2

Oh, wow. That's cool. Maybe there's a chance for BGIII if this Enhanced Edition creates some stir.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Oh, wow. That's cool. Maybe there's a chance for BGIII if this Enhanced Edition creates some stir.
    The ultimate goal? The new Enhanced Editions are "part of the master plan" toward the possibility of a Baldur's Gate III.
    We can hope Jimmy, we can hope...

Sounds like the game is in good hands It has aged pretty well but there are always things that can be improved. Looking forward to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even though I own both BG1, BG2 and all expansions, I'm so going to buy these enhanced editions. AND PLEASE... gief us a BG3!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wary excitement. It's sounding like that although they're addressing minor quibbles (crappy support for resolutions that aren't 4:3, tiny text, UI doesn't scale appropriately with resolutions) that it's largely going to be unchanged.

Since I understand Infinity Engine modding, I'll probably only buy copies if I want to support the developer, though that'll also depend on their publisher. Still, I'm excited about the prospect of the newer generation of gamers being introduced to the best RPG series ever made.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

There are 2 threads about this already but I didn't read this info yet. I'm so damn excited that I re-installed all BG games to play one more run all the way to ToB just to prepare for this.

• No new-fangled 3D-rendered graphics, here. They're going "2D isometric all the way", just the way we like it.

• The team is going to stick with the original BG model of limited voiceovers because it "allows for more in-depth writing." Good call.
    Thank you.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Nice! My brother was still playing BGII off and on as of last year, so he's gonna love this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I admit I was hoping for Baldurs Gate III when the countdown ended.

That said, these are my two favorite PC games Of All Time. I would happily lay down money to play revised versions that do not require Magic to get running on modern systems.

Also, Second Edition still? Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Would rather of had BGIII game, than rehashed old stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    This all sounded amazing until I saw the part about it probably only being a digital release. Hope its popular enough to get a retail double pack release down the line.

I really hope they don't ruin another franchise I loved. I can't imagine a worthy successor coming out in the current market situation. Polished versions of the old can be good though - it shouldn't be too hard to not screw that up.

I like this but i hope they never do BG3, Bhaalspawn saga is over and it should stay that way. Ditto for Planescape:Torment that being talked about.

I'd like to see another quality title set in Forgotten Realms universe but let the dead rest in peace, it would only end in disappointment and bitterness.

Please don't screw it up.

There were two threads about this. But yea, BG just needed a facelift nothing needs to be added outright. Dounds great. Esp. since the original game basically no longer works on modern PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There were two threads about this. But yea, BG just needed a facelift nothing needs to be added outright. Dounds great. Esp. since the original game basically no longer works on modern PCs.
    Ay where did you hear that? Runs fine on my windows 7 x64 using the stock install and without tweaks, never had issues personally.
    Last edited by Toccs; 2012-03-16 at 04:56 PM.

• Tales of the Sword Coast will be included in the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Throne of Bhaal will be included in the Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition.
    I was wondering about that, good to hear.

• Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition will be exclusive to Beamdog (on PC), though other platforms will be announced next week at the very same time. The very first screenshots will debut then, too.
    WTF is a beamdog? Another distribution platform I need to manage? I mean, at least Origin has EA's catalog and the old EA DD system backing it.

• The BG:EE will utilize the 2nd Edition D&D ruleset, just as the original games did. Beamdog's motto: "Don't break the fun."
    I'll admit I kinda hoped it would be 3e. 2e always confused me.

• The outdated DirectPlay network interface used by Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II has been "macheted" to make room for something that is "better". Here's to hoping co-op multiplayer will be vastly improved!
    I hope it's good. I think I played BGII more online than off. I'd love to do that again.

• The ultimate goal? The new Enhanced Editions are "part of the master plan" toward the possibility of a Baldur's Gate III.
    I'm all for a new FR game, even one like BG, but I think this story's been played out. Hopefully they pick up a new one.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends on your generation as to whether 3rd or 2nd edition works out. I grew up with 2nd and thought 3rd was simplified and expanded in the right ways, downhill from there.

However, rewriting BG to run on 3rd Edition is likely more trouble than it is worth (basically a total rewrite, and that means bug-checking a 200+ hour experience before summer ((impossible)) ). I will happily play BG1 using the rules from BG2.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Ay where did you hear that? Runs fine on my windows 7 x64 using the stock install and without tweaks, never had issues personally.
    I wasn't being literal. The resolution of modern monitors make it nearly unplayable. I can't read any text. ;p