Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I never really played D&D as pen and paper, so computer games were more or less my introduction to the system. I did play one D&D game prior to BGII that ran on 2e. I always found the rules somewhat confusing and/or counter intuitive. Always thought 3e was much better in that regard, pretty straightforward. I never played anything based off anything newer than 3.5 though. From what I've read the newer versions are more like MTG than D&D :/.

I didn't expect them to redo the ruleset though. There's a lot of storyline changes that would have to be done too - just the removal of racial class restrictions alone changes quite a few things.

On a more general note, I'm liking the sudden realization that these old games aren't loved just because of nostalgia. There's something elegant and beautiful about the old style 2D pre-rendered scenes and isometric views.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I wasn't being literal. The resolution of modern monitors make it nearly unplayable. I can't read any text. ;p
    Can always use an old monitor :P. I still manage a pile of old 13in CRTs at work precisely because of old software.
    Last edited by flarecde; 2012-03-16 at 06:07 PM.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

I wasn't being literal. The resolution of modern monitors make it nearly unplayable. I can't read any text. ;p
    The game has active modding community, i have it working without any issues in 1920x1080 with improved visibility fonts.

However it does take some time to setup, it's great they will probably presetup everything for modern systems.

Quote Originally Posted by mixerii View Post
    The game has active modding community, i have it working without any issues in 1920x1080 with improved visibility fonts.

However it does take some time to setup, it's great they will probably presetup everything for modern systems.
    If I remember modding BGII correctly, you needed quite a bit more than some time. Using more than one mod usually required some crazy tools and a fair bit of programming skill. Hopefully they will improve on that at least.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

I am aware of the modding community. I have several mods on disc. Nothing really makes the game comfortable to play on a 30 inch monitor or large TV- I play at desk and couch alternately. ;p

A lot of older games have this issue- Diablo 2, X-com, Mechwarrior, ToEE, etc. I just can't read/see them clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    If I remember modding BGII correctly, you needed quite a bit more than some time. Using more than one mod usually required some crazy tools and a fair bit of programming skill. Hopefully they will improve on that at least.
    It's much more user friendly these days, mostly thanks to people at Spellhold Studios, The Gibberlings 3 and Pocketplane Group.

Yeah you can play BGT on wide screen monitors with a mod, and if you play BGT w/o mods you are doing it wrong
    (Sorry Fencers!)

Oh that, i have a 27" LED (i'm stuck in my old ways by the way) i just get on with it. Mind you i have to wear glasses now i blame that on the 50 something playthroughs.

You will find this funny but i actually prefer the BG1 res to the BG2, and i never used mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupin View Post
    Yeah you can play BGT on wide screen monitors with a mod, and if you play BGT w/o mods you are doing it wrong
    (Sorry Fencers!)
    I used the WS mod before, still stretched/blurry or generally uncomfortable though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, the best mods are WeiDU compatible and it basically means you download the mod, run the WeiDU .bat, pick the parts you want installed and you're good to go.

I've never had issues installing any mods, even non-WeiDU mods.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Every time I reinstalled BG2, I couldn't stop myself from downloading what felt like half of Sorcerers' Place. D:

I hope this re-release doesn't ruin my memories. Ah, the days of accidentally getting a Wild Surge combo that left half the Copper Coronet dead...
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

10+ Year Old Account
    I like this but i hope they never do BG3, Bhaalspawn saga is over and it should stay that way. Ditto for Planescape:Torment that being talked about.

I'd like to see another quality title set in Forgotten Realms universe but let the dead rest in peace, it would only end in disappointment and bitterness.
    You realize right that Baldur's Gate is a city in the Forgotten Realms setting and whether the Bhaalspawn saga being over or not has nothing really to do with making a BG3?

Deleted
    Two pages and not one Minsc quote?
    "Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone! "

This announcement pleases me, not that I need another reason to re-play the BG series for the umpteenth time though!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gjorbash View Post
    Two pages and not one Minsc quote?
    "Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone! "

This announcement pleases me, not that I need another reason to re-play the BG series for the umpteenth time though!
    "Go for the eyes, Boo!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    You realize right that Baldur's Gate is a city in the Forgotten Realms setting and whether the Bhaalspawn saga being over or not has nothing really to do with making a BG3?
    Well Baldur's Gate was a poor name choice anyways, now it's just a marketing brand so it does not matter what's the name really. There was a BG3 in production a while go. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur%...he_Black_Hound

What matters is that story moves away from Bhaalspawn events, preferably from Sword Coast area altogether and i don't want to meet Minsc again. I'd support that.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    What programming skills. I never recall doing anything else than chosing yes/no in bigger mod packs. Maybe in some dark ages it required some knowledge, but not for long. And I haven't really played more than once without Tactics/plenty other mods.

As for game itself - I'm kinda skeptical. Graphical rework, UI improvements, etc - all good. However, these are all minor details. What I want is something actually new. I thought they'd change the ruleset to newer edition, for a start. Failing that, what new is there plot wise? It might take quite a bit to convince me it's worth it - seeing how there is huge amount of mods and additional, unofficial content for "old" game. They would have to add a lot to compete with this.

Deleted
    After watching a friend play BG and BG2 i got them both off of GoG, i am still to play BG2, i found BG1 difficult to get into and after some help i got my characters well built.

The game is realy difficult when your unsure of what to do, and unforgiving

10+ Year Old Account
    Well Baldur's Gate was a poor name choice anyways, now it's just a marketing brand so it does not matter what's the name really. There was a BG3 in production a while go. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur%...he_Black_Hound

What matters is that story moves away from Bhaalspawn events, preferably from Sword Coast area altogether and i don't want to meet Minsc again. I'd support that.
    The game can still be centered around Baldur's Gate without Minsc. BG3 could be set hundreds of years after BG2 for instance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    What programming skills. I never recall doing anything else than chosing yes/no in bigger mod packs. Maybe in some dark ages it required some knowledge, but not for long. And I haven't really played more than once without Tactics/plenty other mods.

As for game itself - I'm kinda skeptical. Graphical rework, UI improvements, etc - all good. However, these are all minor details. What I want is something actually new. I thought they'd change the ruleset to newer edition, for a start. Failing that, what new is there plot wise? It might take quite a bit to convince me it's worth it - seeing how there is huge amount of mods and additional, unofficial content for "old" game. They would have to add a lot to compete with this.
    On that note the Tactics mod... could never ever ever completed the final fight except on easy.
    Improved Demogorgan....

Well the one thing I hope they would do is fix/complete every original quest that was intended in the game. I know there was some mods that did this, but not every single one I think.

For example, and forgive me if I am wrong, the tanner quest eventually leading to the Twisted Rune properly rather than it being a coincidence from exploring (and having the correct item).

10+ Year Old Account
    So I never played Baldur's Gate, but I know it's a Bioware game. Is it anything like Mass Effect or Dragon Age?
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

Quote Originally Posted by Majik8ball View Post
    So I never played Baldur's Gate, but I know it's a Bioware game. Is it anything like Mass Effect or Dragon Age?
    No. It's turn based combat, top down, stat based which follows the old Dungeons & Dragons rules from character creation to combat.

The Bioware which makes games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect are not the developer of Baldur's Gate. Only in name.