Thread: Diet

Diet

I need a good diet plan any suggestions?

Don't forget that even that "calories in/calories out" rule is correct, human body is not a closed system. You increase the load (exercise like madman), your body demands more food. You can't resist that demand for long, unless you eat correct food. I mean real food with real nutrients, minerals, vitamins. Not the low fat, skinless chicken, skim milk, eggs without yolks, whole grain nonsense.

You body also is very efficient at optimizing things. You eat less, it lowers the body temperature, it shuts down some functions that are not needed for survival, it
    becomes more efficient at doing things. You run 5k this week it may take 400 calories, you do it for a few month, it will optimize to use less calories.

Also if you not aware, 1 full 26 mile marathon would burn only 2600-3000 calories. That's less than 100g of fat actualy burned, most of the calories come from the stored glucose and energy bars people eat during the marathon. So exercising in order to lose weight is pretty pointless. Diet is 80% of success, sleep is another 10% and exercise is the last 10%. You can't outexercise a bad diet.

While I wouldn't come to these boards for help on this. If you want help I think you do better to give more information before seeking help.

What are your goals?
    Are you looking for a weight loss diet or just a healthy diet to gain strength/muscle mass.

Current
    What is your current diet like, how often do you excercise. This will allow people to see what you need more of. If your working out you may need more protein intake.

I personally like whole9life [.]com/ (I like the manifesto's under blogs)

It is not a direct diet plan, but it does go into the food you eat and give you an idea of how it affects your body. Now I don't go to the extremes some of these people do but it does make for some interesting reads.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the only food I eat http://tiny.cc/4kwabw
    Research does not consist of eating some lead based paint, checking what people are saying on the forums and then pretending like you know what you are talking about.

Before you take ANYONE's advice, no matter what their credentials are, you need to do several things:

Post your goals.
    Post what you eat now, how many Calories you think you take in.
    Are you trying to bulk up or slim down? The diet you need is different for both of those.
    Are you going to work out or just sit on your ass all day? The diet you need is different for both of those.

Calories/kcal are both the same thing. When they put Calories on the back of a drink or something, in the nutritional value, it also means kcal. Because 1 Calorie/kcal is equal to 1000 calories. Generally a body needs about 2k Calories/kcal to stay the same weight. That's why our FDA puts a 2k Calorie diet on everything.

Supplements aren't only for athletes, they're for everyone. Take a multi-vitamin every day, the majority of Americans, especially obese Americans have vitamin deficits, and don't even know it.

Initially, might want to drop the "sports drinks," the Monster, the soda, the Frappucinos/Cappucinos that are loaded with everything. Stick to water, green tea, black coffee. You can add a little bit of skim milk to the coffee and whatnot, but not too much. The point is to get your metabolism going. Both green tea and black coffee do that. Green Tea is a bit of a miracle drink. It fights diseases, raises your immune system, fights aging, can prevent HIV from spreading. And so on. They're also all 3 low in calories, especially water.
    A bit of lemon juice and never heated honey will also aid in burning fat. Lemon juice breaks down fat lipids and honey has "anti-fat" qualities.

On Green Tea.
    All of these are based on scientific studies, the guy just didn't post links to those studies to the forum. I've seen the majority of them on different sites and the studies backing them.

There's a lot of little tricks you can do to burn extra calories, if that's the overall goal. Just post your goals, long term and short term.

Don't listen to people who tell you "eat 7 times a day" because that doesn't actually do anything if you're trying to slim down. It aids in bulking muscle, not in slimming down. It's a myth based on "Broscience." Broscience is what someone does because "it worked for someone else!" It's huge in most gyms, especially LA Fitness, not to bash them too much.
    Last edited by Demonakat; 2012-03-17 at 09:32 AM.

Deleted
    That calories story is bullshit.. Its proven to be wrong in many ways. I'm doing a proteine diat atm and I lost almost 19kg. My breakfast and my lunch is a proteine shake with vitamins in it so I dont need to eat fruit. Fruit is BAD. Natural sugars etc etc. Proteines makes your body burn fat no matter what. (I'm busy for 2,5 months now and in the beginning I didnt move an inch). But now, eventhough I only get 600calories a day, I hardly lose weight. So how can you say that losing weight is all about getting less calories than you burn? I'm walking 1hour a day now, got a job and am very busy, still I lose alot less than I did. Its just going slower and slower the longer you are trying to diat. I sometimes replace a shake with 2 eggs or yoghurt. Drink 3L water a day and green tea or de-caffeine coffee.

Whenever you reach your goal, build it up. Dont go eat all you did before but replace meal after meal. With 2 weaks in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Jillzz View Post
    That calories story is bullshit.. Its proven to be wrong in many ways.
    Provide such "proof".

eventhough I only get 600calories a day, I hardly lose weight.
    Mmm, somebody is lying about something.

...and I only quoted the worst bits of your post. There's so much more things wrong there that it's actually scary.

Edit: listen to Demonakat.
    Last edited by thosechillies; 2012-03-22 at 07:11 AM.

If you take in only 600 calories a DAY, you may not see results because your body is lacking the food energy and nutrition it needs, to burn your fat. (simply taking protein and supplements, will not cut it.)

Any weight loss resulting in only consuming 600 calories a day... would be your muscle if you remotely have any left.

Largest meal of the day should be breakfast. Every other meal and snack after that, should be lower in calories than what you take in for breakfast. Especially if you have a busier lifestyle and are on the move constantly.

As stated.. You need to be more specific as to what you are seeking. Can't just be like "hey.. give me a diet plan." without backing that up with a little history.
    Last edited by Sarahstrasza; 2012-03-22 at 07:43 AM.

That calories story is bullshit.. Its proven to be wrong in many ways. I'm doing a proteine diat atm and I lost almost 19kg. My breakfast and my lunch is a proteine shake with vitamins in it so I dont need to eat fruit. Fruit is BAD. Natural sugars etc etc. Proteines makes your body burn fat no matter what. (I'm busy for 2,5 months now and in the beginning I didnt move an inch). But now, eventhough I only get 600calories a day, I hardly lose weight. So how can you say that losing weight is all about getting less calories than you burn? I'm walking 1hour a day now, got a job and am very busy, still I lose alot less than I did. Its just going slower and slower the longer you are trying to diat. I sometimes replace a shake with 2 eggs or yoghurt. Drink 3L water a day and green tea or de-caffeine coffee.

Whenever you reach your goal, build it up. Dont go eat all you did before but replace meal after meal. With 2 weaks in between.

Whoever you got your information from lied to you. But that's fine too. Just don't go spreading it to other people.

---------- Post added 2012-03-22 at 08:32 AM ----------

The reason you stopped losing weight is called a plateau. And starvation mode.
    Your body got used to the low calorie diet and the "walk" exercise. You need to raise your caloric intake and output. Basically, eat differently and exercise for 2 weeks, then you can go back to whatever diet you think works. You need a balance of carbs/fats/proteins, otherwise your body will just.. stop. You can only lose so much weight without exercising, believe me, I'm at that point as well. I dropped 15 pounds from pure exercise without changing my diet. Changed my diet, but couldn't go back to my gym. Lost 5 more pounds. I'm at the point where I need to exercise to lose weight.
    Plus a protein only diet is extremely unhealthy, as you're not getting any other vitamins, unless they were made in a lab.

You should be eating fruits, apples are full of fiber and water, will help you feel fuller for longer amounts of time. Grapes are great, because of the water content and the health benefits they've been proven to have. Watermelon also has high water content, which is great. You should NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER cut fruits out of your diet unless they're dried fruits. Dried fruits lose the water content and it's easy to gain weight eating them.

The ONLY way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in. Your body burns about 2k calories on average per day. You take in 600 calories, and you have an excess of 1400. But, if you go into starvation mode, your body will cut the amount of calories it expends and start using muscle as fuel, instead of fat. Muscle has a higher calorie count per pound than fat does, but you'll still feel it. The way to avoid starvation mode is to stick with a healthy diet. Stop trying to lose too much weight too fast, this isn't The Biggest Loser, it's their JOB to lose weight that fast. They work 8 hours a day on losing weight.

By the way, one of the reasons you should drink black coffee.. it's the caffeine. Caffeine boosts your metabolism, and it also gets you going. Green tea has caffeine in it as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonakat View Post
    Whoever you got your information from lied to you. But that's fine too. Just don't go spreading it to other people.

---------- Post added 2012-03-22 at 08:32 AM ----------

The reason you stopped losing weight is called a plateau. And starvation mode.
    Your body got used to the low calorie diet and the "walk" exercise. You need to raise your caloric intake and output. Basically, eat differently and exercise for 2 weeks, then you can go back to whatever diet you think works. You need a balance of carbs/fats/proteins, otherwise your body will just.. stop. You can only lose so much weight without exercising, believe me, I'm at that point as well. I dropped 15 pounds from pure exercise without changing my diet. Changed my diet, but couldn't go back to my gym. Lost 5 more pounds. I'm at the point where I need to exercise to lose weight.
    Plus a protein only diet is extremely unhealthy, as you're not getting any other vitamins, unless they were made in a lab.

You should be eating fruits, apples are full of fiber and water, will help you feel fuller for longer amounts of time. Grapes are great, because of the water content and the health benefits they've been proven to have. Watermelon also has high water content, which is great. You should NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER cut fruits out of your diet unless they're dried fruits. Dried fruits lose the water content and it's easy to gain weight eating them.

The ONLY way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in. Your body burns about 2k calories on average per day. You take in 600 calories, and you have an excess of 1400. But, if you go into starvation mode, your body will cut the amount of calories it expends and start using muscle as fuel, instead of fat. Muscle has a higher calorie count per pound than fat does, but you'll still feel it. The way to avoid starvation mode is to stick with a healthy diet. Stop trying to lose too much weight too fast, this isn't The Biggest Loser, it's their JOB to lose weight that fast. They work 8 hours a day on losing weight.

By the way, one of the reasons you should drink black coffee.. it's the caffeine. Caffeine boosts your metabolism, and it also gets you going. Green tea has caffeine in it as well.
    The reason I start losing less weight is because it just goes slower the longer you are busy. I mean, I lost 12kg in 1 month in the diet. The Proteine diet is about reaching the Ketosis fase, in which your body won't ask for food anymore but simple burns your body fat instead of the glycogen you normally eat. You eat the minimal amount of glycogen your body needs to keep up and then after when it has nothing left, it goes eat your fat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis
    Fruit is bad because it contains alot of natural sugar. Wether you eat a candy bar or an apple, theres no difference. Because of getting those sugers, your body won't be in the Ketosis face so you will be more likely to eat more. Im not hungry at all with this diet, and if I am, I can eat alot of lettuce with 100gr glycogen free meat.

Im mixing my diet with the Cambridge diet and the Atkins diet. Theres some bread kind of and bars made from nuts and stuff that contain low glycogen.
    The low calorie diet is WRONG because most of the time the combination of food makes you fat. If you eat french frites or anything with alot of fat in it, you should eat the same amount of luttece with it to cath the up fat. If you eat only 1500 calories and burn 2000 aday you can still gain weight. I can eat my way up with chocolate to 1500...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1400040787/...ittergamesc-20 < this is the kind of bood I read.
    http://www.montignac.com/en/the-fail...calorie-diets/ < Prove calories have nothing to do with losing weight.

Oh and got used to the walking? I wrote that when I was just 1,5 week into my new job.
    PS: I dont want to lose weight the as fast as possible, I dont care at all aslong as I can see it works. I went from a XL to a M. I bought a whole new closet full of new clothes. The reason I lost THAT much in the beginning is because my Thyriod worked way to slow before >100 TSH. Now its brought back to 1,8.

I used to sport 6 days a week when I was younger, 2 evenings football training; 1hour with the team, 1 hour keeper training per day. 3 days of tennis (sometimes more) 1,5hour per training and sometimes matches took 4hours. Then ofc the football match 1,5h. I had to cycle 30 minutes to my school everyday and 30 back. In that time I ate 4 slices of bread and an normal amount of dinner everyday. I never took candy because they bullied me that I was bigger than others so I thought my body was gross, I couldnt care less for candy. Still my weight was 110 kg and my length is 175cm. Ive tried many diets that time but I never lost weight. Now tell me what I did wrong.
    Last edited by mmocfb2512c852; 2012-04-04 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by demondream View Post

Dieting or better worded, burning fat is achieved by one simple rule above all, burning more calories than you consume.
    I live by this rule, lost 115 lbs in less than a year. I also did some p90x, but I realized I just wanted to get skinny rather than build muscle, so I just do cardio and/or walk around a bit now. Still loosing weight and whatnot. Used to be 320 lbs at 5'8", now I'm 205 lbs. Still got some progress to make but I look and feel 100 time better. Also, yogurt is magical. =B

---------- Post added 2012-04-04 at 07:28 PM ----------

But yeah, I sujest a plan for fat byebye. If you want muscle, don't come to me, I'm a weakling IRL. Lawlz.

The reason I start losing less weight is because it just goes slower the longer you are busy. I mean, I lost 12kg in 1 month in the diet. The Proteine diet is about reaching the Ketosis fase, in which your body won't ask for food anymore but simple burns your body fat instead of the glycogen you normally eat. You eat the minimal amount of glycogen your body needs to keep up and then after when it has nothing left, it goes eat your fat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis
    Fruit is bad because it contains alot of natural sugar. Wether you eat a candy bar or an apple, theres no difference. Because of getting those sugers, your body won't be in the Ketosis face so you will be more likely to eat more. Im not hungry at all with this diet, and if I am, I can eat alot of lettuce with 100gr glycogen free meat.

Im mixing my diet with the Cambridge diet and the Atkins diet. Theres some bread kind of and bars made from nuts and stuff that contain low glycogen.
    The low calorie diet is WRONG because most of the time the combination of food makes you fat. If you eat french frites or anything with alot of fat in it, you should eat the same amount of luttece with it to cath the up fat. If you eat only 1500 calories and burn 2000 aday you can still gain weight. I can eat my way up with chocolate to 1500...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1400040787/...ittergamesc-20 < this is the kind of bood I read.
    http://www.montignac.com/en/the-fail...calorie-diets/ < Prove calories have nothing to do with losing weight.

Oh and got used to the walking? I wrote that when I was just 1,5 week into my new job.
    PS: I dont want to lose weight the as fast as possible, I dont care at all aslong as I can see it works. I went from a XL to a M. I bought a whole new closet full of new clothes. The reason I lost THAT much in the beginning is because my Thyriod worked way to slow before >100 TSH. Now its brought back to 1,8.

I used to sport 6 days a week when I was younger, 2 evenings football training; 1hour with the team, 1 hour keeper training per day. 3 days of tennis (sometimes more) 1,5hour per training and sometimes matches took 4hours. Then ofc the football match 1,5h. I had to cycle 30 minutes to my school everyday and 30 back. In that time I ate 4 slices of bread and an normal amount of dinner everyday. I never took candy because they bullied me that I was bigger than others so I thought my body was gross, I couldnt care less for candy. Still my weight was 110 kg and my length is 175cm. Ive tried many diets that time but I never lost weight. Now tell me what I did wrong.
    The fact that you're reading a book based on false science is wrong. That help clarify it? That article doesn't mention anything REAL in regards to how your body uses food for fuel. Thermal Effect of Food is IMPORTANT but that article doesn't mention it at all.

An all protein diet is the most ridiculous thing someone could try, you do it in a hospital to lose weight, BUT you're pretty much brain dead after you used up your stores of glucose. Carbs fuel the brain, carbs fuel the body. A no carb diet will just kill you.

Of COURSE the caloric content in most things are off, they're rounded. That's why you normally see them in multiples of 5 or 10 on a package. They're not exact, never have been.

Also, yes. Fruit is full of natural sugar, which by the way.. IS GOOD FOR YOU. Didn't your book mention that to you? or is it all about the Atkins Diet? Which is the absolute worst diet in the world, besides a diet of pure McDonalds. Actually, I think pure McDonalds would even be better for your health than the Atkins Diet. You need a healthy mixture of fats, carbs, and protein. Not all fats and carbs are bad just like not all protein is good.

And yes, a low calorie diet DOES work, as proven here
    I'm sorry that you couldn't lose weight due to a thyroid condition or whatever you said it was, but Ketosis isn't just "all protein diet." And saying that calorie counting is a failure of a way to diet is just plain wrong. Because it's not ALL that matters, but it's one of the largest components of dieting.

I'm also sorry you wasted your money on diet books, when all the information about dieting properly is readily available online in several different places and written by actual nutritionists and medical doctors, people who are trained to know about the body.

Also, i could lose weight eating only French Fries, as long as they're not salted to hell. You'd retain water, which I don't know if that's what you meant or not, but I wouldn't "eat enough lettuce to catch up" as you put it. You STOP when you're at the caloric limit. It's called watching what you eat. If you don't, well you're not actually watching your diet, you're failing at your diet.

The reason I start losing less weight is because it just goes slower the longer you are busy. I mean, I lost 12kg in 1 month in the diet. The Proteine diet is about reaching the Ketosis fase, in which your body won't ask for food anymore but simple burns your body fat instead of the glycogen you normally eat. You eat the minimal amount of glycogen your body needs to keep up and then after when it has nothing left, it goes eat your fat.

I stopped reading after you said fruit is bad because "it containts a lot of natural sugar." There's a huge difference between eating a candy bar and an apple. For one, the apple has tons of fiber in it (lets say 4.5g for a large apple). Another reason: that natural sugar is TONS better for you than REFINED sugar. The more refined sugar you eat, the more your body will crave it... it's made to be addicting. Once you cut out all the refined sugars and sweeteners, your body won't crave it anymore, which will naturally lead to a better diet.

Listen to Demonakat, not this fool. Eat a diet which is full of protein and fiber, and cut the carbs. Calories aren't a horrible thing as long as they're the right calories. Stop eating the refined "lab" made foods and eat things as close to their natural state as possible. For example, eat some grilled chicken with steamed broccoli and carrots. You can add some BBQ sauce if you wish (I know I do), but just enough to coat the outside of the chicken. The extra calories from the BBQ sauce won't matter if you run it all off at the gym anyways.