Is 80c-85c too high for load temps?

My 6870 has been getting hotter for some reason. It used to only go up to 70c-75c max but now It's going as high as 80c-85c. I have great airflow In my LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W. I got 2 140mm's exhausting on top, 1 140mm intaking In the front and a 120mm exhausting on the back. My case temps are great In my mind(never goes above 50c-55c). When I'm gaming I put the fan speed at 35% because anything higher than that the fan sounds like a jet engine.

What's causing my temps to rise? Is the heatsink In the graphics card going bad?

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    It is possible that it has gotten some dust in it. I would start there and report back
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    It is possible that it has gotten some dust in it. I would start there and report back
    Gah I hate cleaning my computer. As does every other lazy person. I'll check for dust.

---------- Post added 2012-03-16 at 02:48 PM ----------

Ok I cleaned my computer, and now my entire screen has blinking pixels over all It. Yay...... What the hell happened? I hope my graphics card Isn't broken....

---------- Post added 2012-03-16 at 02:52 PM ----------

Lmao, I discovered that I may have bent one of the pins on my dvi cable. Maybe that's whats causing the blinking pixels. I tried bending It back but that didn't work.

---------- Post added 2012-03-16 at 03:04 PM ----------

UPDATE: Ok It was my DVI cable that broke, luckily I had a dvi to hdmi adapter and a hdmi cable. Now my screen doesn't have anymore blinking pixels.
    I will see If dusting out my computer helped my GPU temps go down.

10+ Year Old Account
    AMD's 6k series are rated until 120C.. So 80-85 is perfectly fine especially if you're using the predefined auto fan settings. Get MSI Afterburner(yes, before you ask it works on almost all cards) and adjust the fan speed using their automatic fan profiles.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the temp's climbing, that's not a good sign, but it's almost always a cleaning issue.

I've got an old 4850 that I'm limping along with, and I've actually had to take it out, remove the dust cover, and clean the hair and crap out from the heatsink vanes manually, because an air duster wasn't getting it all clear. Not that I recommend it, but I'm just saying that sometimes just taking it out and air-dusting it isn't enough.

That said, the "danger zone" is usually 100+ Celsius.

Ok, thanks for the responses guy. I'll go DL MSI afterburner. I use speedfan right now, lmao.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Gah I hate cleaning my computer. As does every other lazy person. I'll check for dust.

---------- Post added 2012-03-16 at 02:48 PM ----------

Ok I cleaned my computer, and now my entire screen has blinking pixels over all It. Yay...... What the hell happened? I hope my graphics card Isn't broken....

---------- Post added 2012-03-16 at 02:52 PM ----------

Lmao, I discovered that I may have bent one of the pins on my dvi cable. Maybe that's whats causing the blinking pixels. I tried bending It back but that didn't work.

---------- Post added 2012-03-16 at 03:04 PM ----------

UPDATE: Ok It was my DVI cable that broke, luckily I had a dvi to hdmi adapter and a hdmi cable. Now my screen doesn't have anymore blinking pixels.
    I will see If dusting out my computer helped my GPU temps go down.
    How the hell did you bent a pin on your cable ?!?!?!?!?

You clean your computers fans with a can of air.....................................................................

Quote Originally Posted by Somebodyelse View Post

You clean your computers fans with a can of air.....................................................................
    I have no clue how I bent a pin. Maybe I pushed It In too hard when I tried to plug It In the wrong way. Oh well, I was going to buy a new one anyways. I got mine from Best Buy. It's a crappy Dynex brand cable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Somebodyelse View Post

If you read the thread then he bent his DVI cable, not something he's touching with a can of air. I've done it multiple times and it is indeed annoying when it happens.

You've got about 50/50 to get it working again by getting a super thin knife and bending it back to it's position. (I use my warhammer cutting knife when it happens)
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    My 470 runs the same temps on load. Sucks, but its rated to 112 or something like that. Ive been waiting for the Nvidia 600 series to pop out so I can get a 5XX card cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    My 6870 has been getting hotter for some reason. It used to only go up to 70c-75c max but now It's going as high as 80c-85c. I have great airflow In my LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W. I got 2 140mm's exhausting on top, 1 140mm intaking In the front and a 120mm exhausting on the back. My case temps are great In my mind(never goes above 50c-55c). When I'm gaming I put the fan speed at 35% because anything higher than that the fan sounds like a jet engine.

What's causing my temps to rise? Is the heatsink In the graphics card going bad?
    I would suggest the cause of high temps is the fact your limiting your fan speed to 35% ... does it not have automatic setting so it can goven the speed as it requires?
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

Is your room temperature rising higher than it was when you got the card? That's usually a big oversight when people notice these things.

Usually a 6-7c rise in room temperature will account for a 10c~ rise on the card.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics