Thread: Formula 1 2012

Page 1 of 21
... LastLast

Formula 1 2012

Well F1 is back, with the inaugural race tomorrow at Australia's Albert Park circuit.

We have a McLaren one-two at the qualifying with Lewis Hamilton taking Pole followed by Jenson Button. Lotus-Renault's Romain Grosjean is in 3rd followed by Michael Schumacher (who was fastest in practice the day before). Mark Webber is 5th with defending champ Sebastian Vettel 6th. Full list here and take note of returning former champ Kimi Räikkönen who is in 18th position.

So who do you think is gonna win this season? Vettel and Red Bull again?

Kimi was preparing for the last speedy lap when the red lights fired up. Lotus sort of fucked up because they didn't inform him that he was running on his last already
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    hoping for ferrari, but red bull is likely

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    I honestly doubt ferrari will be in the top 3 for the first few races, they are really off the pace.

Mclaren, Lotus(renault)/Mercedes, Red Bull are going to be the top 3-4 teams for the early part of the season.

Interesting to see if the nose has any effect. Rest of the top cars are mid 1:25 laps, Mclaren are high 1:25/low1:25, so .3/.4 of a second faster. Then Maurassia the other smooth nose team are faster the HRT by a good 2 seconds, when i was expecting the two real tail end teams to be alot closer than they are.(expected the main pack, followed by caterham with HRT and Maurassia well off Caterham's pace.

HAMILTON!, hopefully this is his year.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaBigBird View Post
    HAMILTON!, hopefully this is his year.
    Yea, its nice to see him in a competitive car (and the rest of the field seems pretty fluid as well which is really nice to see).

Nice to see Mercedes and Lotus up in the top for a change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going to cheer on Lewis and Jenson. Big fan of Britian, so that's kinda why I cheer on them and the team. Hopefully Lewis is going to win the shit cos he has the best name ever. Now that he is back with his girlfriend and she moves with him around the world, he can better focus on the "game" for sure. Really hope to see the british flag at the top when the season is over, but if I gonna be honest I think Vettel is gonna take it, but who knows.
    I'm looking forward to see how Räikkönen is performing.
    Anyway go McLaren!
    Oderint dum metuat.
    Success is dependent on effort.

Deleted
    I dont think Red Bull will dictate the races this season. Ferrari seems dead.
    I hope that Hamilton will NOT win this championship, i just dont like him. Button on the other hand, seems like a very cool person, i wouldnt mind him winning this championship.

But beeing a Schumacher Fan, i'd love to see some good wheel on wheel fights with the top drivers, since it seems like that they got a competitive car so far. Maybe he is gonna win a race or two.

Deleted
    This season could be really interesting, and it lets you work out what the drivers abilities truly are.

With the car's being alot closer in pace, we can see what the drivers skills are. Vettel for example has almost always lead all the time in last season and if he needed to overtake the red bull was almost always a better car making it easier. With equal car's how capable is he. And with some relatively new drivers up there could be interesting and with so many champions its also good. I would imagine kimi getting high quickly because the lotus clearly has pace. so should be an exciting start to see who can make take the first foothold on the championship.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    Ferrari will be lucky to even score points, and by the looks of things a Red Bull win seems unlikely. My money is on either Button, Hamilton or Schumacher for the victory in Melbourne.

Exciting stuff, cant wait to see how the race shapes up today, Melbournes always great to watch, no one is really sure what to expect and we get to see new drivers in actions.

Im happy with either Button or Hamilton winning, I think on pure race, Hamilton is faster, but Button is such a cool head when things start changing up, I'd expect to see Button do better on the tracks that have changing conditions or perhaps a few safety cars, but for today my money is on Lewis.

---------- Post added 2012-03-18 at 08:46 AM ----------

Ok so Button proves me wrong, but what an ace drive from him, in control from lap 1. Hamilton will be disappointed with 3rd, but what an awesome race tbh. Action right up to the final lap, so many people looking fast and setting fastest laps, this could be a real amazing season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks aren't everything... unless you have one of the prettiest cars on the grid and clock a win on the first race of the season. Good job, Button and McLaren. Was really hoping for a 1 - 2 finish with Hamilton, but that dang ol caution boned him. Good job on the podium finish, though!

Seems to be some good racing in store between McLaren and Red Bull.

Have to give Alonso some credit for getting his Ferrari to 5th. What did a commentator say during the race preview? "Screwderia"? I almost choked on my beverage.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Deleted
    Congrats to Button, it looks like those Red Bulls and McLaren's are gonna be close this season.

Loved the Sky coverage aswell, looking forward to next weeks race.

Deleted
    Great drive from Button, unfortunate that Mclaren decided to do 2 stops in 1, it slowed Hamiltons 2nd stop by about 3 seconds (he had a 25 second stop instead of 21-22) because the crew weren't 100% ready for him. Cost him 2nd place.

I still can't believe Massa is still racing for Ferrari, he seems to hit someone every race now.

Lotus loots good, Mercedes looking quick as well.
    Going to be a good season!

10+ Year Old Account
    And Button wins! What a great race to start the season off with. To bad it wasn't Lewis that got the 2th place, but it's okay since Mclaren won the race. Let's hope to see them at the top again at two weeks. Have anyone seen Ferrari?
    Oderint dum metuat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivenda View Post
    And Button wins! What a great race to start the season off with. To bad it wasn't Lewis that got the 2th place, but it's okay since Mclaren won the race. Let's hope to see them at the top again at two weeks. Have anyone seen Ferrari?
    I think they were busy driving off of the track and getting stuck in the gravel, and driving into other cars.

10+ Year Old Account
    i hoping hamilton chokes, he is pretty reckless driver

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't like Hamilton, I find him arrogant and reckless then the first to cry when it goes against him.

I'm glad Button has a competitive car these last few years, his first years in F1 were... not kind to him.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    So much late on Lewis, he is a good driver. Never found him arrogant really. Last year was just crap for him because of the break up and his focus was outside the track. Now see PP in the first race. 3th place, but he lost some sec doing the shitty pitstop. I think he'll show us why he won the F1 series one time before.
    Oderint dum metuat.

Deleted
    Mclaren looked the stronger car, vettel only got second due to the safety car working against hamilton. RB look competitive. Ferrari got lucky with Alonso. Lotus look like they will be a 3rd/4th place team able to rival others (grosjaen was unlucky and 'The Iceman' flew, they look competitive). Williams and Mercedes will be together id imagine.

Should be a good season. As for the Lewis is reckless comment its a case of he's agressive and takes chances. Which is fun to watch, if i remember there was kimi taking the outside on one corner which is not an overtaking corner and was exciting. Lewis gets unlucky alot of the time, and if anything the worse he's performing the more risks he will take to get back in it. As long as lewis is still in the championship race then he will be less willing to take risks and lose a mass of points.