Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Assuming it's balanced and no class gains a advantage due to terrain then yea.

I don't mind dying, I don't mind having to check over my shoulder just in case someone is about. What I can't stand is people hiding until you're low health (or just starting to attack something) then ambushing you for an easy kill, to then more often than not camping around the area just waiting for your return. Not to mention vastly out leveling / out gearing you when they do it. In all my time playing MMORPGs I have found it very rare for a world pvp fight to be, in any shape or form, fair.

Depending on how the game addresses these issues, I'd perhaps try it.

No. I play games to have fun, not to be paranoid 24/7 that some group is going to come up behind me and kill me and (potentially) force me to spend hours grinding experience back. No thanks. There's a reason games like that aren't still being produced.

Runescape back in the day had a good way of doing it. Specific areas that allowed PvP combat and death meant you lost items. It wasn't bad, since you could only lose around 350k at max if you died. These days, with items worth over $1000, the game has lost all of its old school feeling and completely dumb, which is why most people jumped ship years ago.

Nobody* wants to play games like that.

*nobody referring to the VAST MAJORITY of gamers.
    Last edited by Kolossal; 2012-08-27 at 01:51 AM.

Yes, my dream game would be a modern day Ultima Online. UO in itself isn't a HARD game, the PvE was stupidly easy. With a guild or group of friends behind you, PvE was trivial. It was the sense of community that really brought the game together. Banding together to fight off evil in the world (aka PKs, murderers, thieves) People played different roles in the world - most miners and blacksmiths did not have any combat skills; there were people whose entire gameplay revolved around fishing or being a pirate. There were player made shopping malls, cities and the entire economy was player run. It was a true ROLE PLAYING game.

Before consensual PvP was added, I spent most my time being the "idiot being ripped to shreds", murdered and dry looted on a daily basis (I was 13 with no clue). But I have never enjoyed a game so much. A game that gives you reason to work together, a real reason to make friends, a real reason to have enemies. A game with true justice where death is meaningful. Where anything you can imagine could become a reality.

Those who have never been exposed to such a world don't understand how magical it can be.
    Last edited by nightshark; 2012-09-04 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Googlemo View Post
    All around us nowadays carebear games such as everquest, Runes of magic, Allods online, RIFT, aion, wow, even lineage 2 became like this with only difference in hard core grind. So my question is this, would you like to play a game with hard open world PVP(such as lineage 2) with real risks on stake(if you're killed by another player you lose a considerate amount of XP or maybe some loot) but that game should also inspire pvp, for example for you to achieve better equipment or a better place for grind you will have no choice but to fight over it, cause only a small amount of people can have access to it? Also a game WITHOUT freaking instances!!!

And once again, would you like to play such a difficult and challenging game?

P.S. if you have some titles in mind write about them, but with as much information as possible.
    LMAO!!!! Someone never played EQ when the enemy faction could take your stuff and would camp your corpse for hours.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEss View Post
    LMAO!!!! Someone never played EQ when the enemy faction could take your stuff and would camp your corpse for hours.
    was thinking the same thing, I never played EQ1, but I know when they introduced PvP in EQ2 it was pretty awesome.

1. There was no such thing as BGs or Arena, everything was world pvp.
    2. When you died you lost 50% of your money (if I remember correctly) and a BoE item if you were carrying one
    3. might be thinking of a different game, but I remember exp debt... that might have been vanguard though.

Honestly, I preferred the PvP to WoW any day, but the game's population was dwindling even before I left, perhaps people from WoW had tried it and it was too hard, I don't really know. The game never caught on as much as WoW. I liked how you had PvP teams and every class played a role, Taunts worked in pvp so tanks were viable, healers obviously always are important, mages were vulnerable and weak when attacked but rocked some serious CC to compensate (unlike wow where they have both control and survivability. and the scout classes had tracking to find other players.

No, I would not play it.
    GW2 spoiled me too much, I run around without care, I play what I want, when I want and how I want. I can ignore pvp completely (and I normally hate pvp, even though it's worth playing for some rare moments, like when I killed this charr warrior yesterday on my norn fem after a long hard fight; that's an encounter to remember) and I can ignore even dungeons completely. I'm enjoying events and beautiful graphics and my awesome character. When I get to max level I'll be crafting my top end game gear mostly and my guild should supposedly boost me in WvW. If they fail, I just ignore pvp overall or transfer to better server. I have ALL these options, I CAN do it. And Gods, I love it.
    So no. I don't want hard mmos. Never. Ever. ESPECIALLY a pvp one.
    Hard pve mmo I could consider if it gives me a way to play and obtain best gear in game absolutely solo, even if with some grind, but pvp? No.

---------- Post added 2012-09-04 at 07:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Roangut View Post
    2. When you died you lost 50% of your money (if I remember correctly) and a BoE item if you were carrying one
    omg SO awesome, I'm sure ppl were happy losing all this stuff and getting camped

I would play it, even more if it wasn't about gear but skill. Hell, I'd want it to have permadeath. Permadeath is the best thing and it provides much more depth than people realize.

Permadeath is where real men game.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

No, I play games for fun and not to to get pissed or to prove to someone that I'm a superleet player who can handle the "challenge".
    I don't like games that are so easy that you never die/fail either though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like early EQ1 PvP servers.

Noooot exactly the best thing. Though MMO communities were tighter back then, so PKers actually had problems running into PKKs
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-09-04 at 09:57 AM.