Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

Good GW1 character profession and build for HoM farming.

Hello!

So I'm about to start out in GW1 getting HoM decked out for GW2. I've only briefly played GW1 trial before. I've looked around a bit and the guide I'm most likely to follow is: http://dragonseason.com/Home/tabid/5...Monuments.aspx

But now I'm wondering: Do any of you experienced GW1 players have any suggestions on good main/secondary professions, as well as maybe skills I should get. As I've understood it, it's only worth buying the skills in the game you really need to save money for armors later on etc. Do you have any suggestions? The guide says I should start out with Nightfall, then Factions to line up the Phoenix pet leveling so that it's 20 when I get to the Eye of the North expansion. Should I choose Ranger as a main or secondary right away? I'm most likely not going to do much grouping if avoidable. Any suggestions on great solo professions/builds?

Thanks a lot.

There is 7 hero build that works both in nm and hm and works with any profession I think. I went through prophecies with necro, warrior and elementalist and for me the easiest to work with was ele. But for hm ppl say necro is better. Also I read ritualist is very good. And if you look at the 7 hero it has necro, rit and mesmer.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Let's make this clear first of all, you will be grouping, with your own team of heroes(AI). Soloing takes abit of practice and normally requires you to have a very specialized rune/insignia set on your character.
    You should deathlevel the pets you want to get to 20, this is a process that requires a vampiric weapon and any necromancer skill that costs Health to cast, getting the pet to lvl 20 should take roughly 15minutes in the zaishen menagerie. You can run a ranger secondary all the way through if you want, just remember to replace whatever skill you take with Charm Animal once you get closer to the end of factions.

I would also suggest starting with factions so you can play as a: SoS ritualist.
    You'll also have to go through factions to unlock Discord, which is one of the most commonly used elite skills for AI teams.

Skills to use:
    Signet of spirit
    Bloodsong
    Splinter Weapon (with no melee, replace this)
    Ancestors Rage
    Spirit Siphon
    Mend Body and Soul
    Spirit light
    Protective Was Kaolai

For normal mode, a regular discord team with yourself as a SoS will do just fine(If you run discord, replace splinter weapon with anything you want.. I'd recommend "Fall back!" or "You move like a dwarf!".)

Forgot to add link to teambuild
    http://www.gwpvx.com/Build:Team_-_7_Hero_Discordway

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    ...wut? o.O

7 hero build? Can you have 7 heroes active at a time? Holy hell. o.O I made a warrior just now in Nightfall and got Koss so far.

I also just bought GW1 and looking to do HoM stuff, but quite a few things you guys are saying is just going way above my head.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I also just bought GW1 and looking to do HoM stuff, but quite a few things you guys are saying is just going way above my head.
    This. Lol. Can we take this in English? D:

Like what does 7 hero build even mean? I thought you could only have 3 heroes at a time?

Dunno what runes or insignias are, or vampiric weapon, splinter weapon, and you make it sound like you just get to lvl 20 right away but I thought that was for pvp only chars?

I was leveling a ranger/monk and I got to lvl 11 in Nightfall and it seems like I'm done there, I don't know what else I'm suppose to do other than talk to Bendah to start Eye of the North. I have a few Zaishan quests but I have no idea where I'm suppose to go to do them. There are some unexplored areas I ran into around lvl 9-10 but there was a door blocking me from going in.

I've looked at some HoM guides and I don't even understand what I'm suppose to do or where I'm suppose to go. They all just assume you know what's going on.

I guess my biggest issue so far is I don't even know where to begin, I've just been running around doing quests...
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-18 at 11:42 AM.

Like what does 7 hero build even mean? I thought you could only have 3 heroes at a time?

Dunno what runes or insignias are, or vampiric weapon, splinter weapon, and you make it sound like you just get to lvl 20 right away but I thought that was for pvp only chars?

I was leveling a ranger/monk and I got to lvl 11 in Nightfall and it seems like I'm done there, I don't know what else I'm suppose to do other than talk to Bendah to start Eye of the North. I have a few Zaishan quests but I have no idea where I'm suppose to go to do them.

I've looked at some HoM guides and I don't even understand what I'm suppose to do or where I'm suppose to go. They all just assume you know what's going on.
    I hear you man. I don't know what half the stuff allies write in chat mean either. The 7 hero build is generic build for group that works well with any player profession. You can get all the necessary heroes through hero character slots, but I don't have it either and run simply with 3 mo, 2 ele, 2 d and 1 w, because I have just 7 heroes so far

Important thing to note is you can set skills for your heroes and equip them with weapons. Having an optimized team makes you much stronger.
    Last edited by Repefe; 2012-03-18 at 11:46 AM.

Deleted
    IIRC you need level 13(?) or a certain sunspear rank to continue with the story grandpab. You should have a quest in your log asking for that. Unfortunately that means killing things with the +rank buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcrae View Post
    IIRC you need level 13(?) or a certain sunspear rank to continue with the story grandpab. You should have a quest in your log asking for that. Unfortunately that means killing things with the +rank buffs.
    The one that's like lvl 12 or first rank sunspear? I actually finished that by getting the rank, and then I think the next thing I did after that was I went and killed the stone tablet snake thing, or maybe that was a separate quest line.

There's 6 quests I have right now, 3 of them are like the Zaishan quests or w/e, one is to get a few things cooked that I'll probably never do, one of them is to talk to Bendah to start Eye of the North, and then there's 1 more quest that has to do with something on Nightfall. I guess that last quest is what I need to do then.

I think I'll go to bed right now and work on this when I wake up. I might even reroll a necro if it's so much better.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-18 at 11:52 AM.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    How do I get that bonus golem companion that I'm supposed to get with the purchase? Already decking out Koss and myself in bonus weapons

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, that's what I was thinking. Now I know how it feels for a new player if you are still telling all the stories from Molten Core and resist gear ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Khanjin View Post
    How do I get that bonus golem companion that I'm supposed to get with the purchase? Already decking out Koss and myself in bonus weapons
    Are you talking about M.O.X.? http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/M.O.X.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post
    Yes, that's what I was thinking. Now I know how it feels for a new player if you are still telling all the stories from Molten Core and resist gear ^^

Are you talking about M.O.X.? http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/M.O.X.
    Ah yes that's the one thanks I saw him outside of Kamadan just now. Wondered why I couldn't recruit him right away. So I need lvl 10 ah well

Deleted
    ...wut? o.O

7 hero build? Can you have 7 heroes active at a time? Holy hell. o.O I made a warrior just now in Nightfall and got Koss so far.
    Here's one fun build for your warrior OQASEZKT9F7gTNAAAA8VXFxgA(first 2 skills are most important) More enemies your warrior have adjacent to it, bigger aoe spike damage you do, because for each foe whirlwind attack hit causes hundred blades to do aoe damage too. Have one hero with Splinter Weapon and foes just vanish on normal mode when ever you have them in small groups. You don't get ritualist primary hero until quite late, but you get necro quite early assuming you have prophecies campaing too which give you access to Olias and give him build like this one and splinter weapon as one of the optional.

Normally you wouldn't get hundred blades until later in game, but you can get it by buying warrior elite skill tome (worth 4-5k), that will give your PvE char access to any skill unlocked on your account. Since you probably don't have it it unlocked on you account, you have couple options to unlock it. Buy core skill pack which contain it, PvP or buy Golden Flame of Balthazar (7k-9k) or 3 x Flame of Balthazar and use 3k Balthazar faction to unlock it at Priest of Balthazar.

You can get 10 free Zkeys(worth about 5k each) once per account by first talking to High Priest Zhang and then talking to Tolkano, so that's easy 50k+ you can get one time.

It would be very easy for you to earn that Balthazar faction in Jade Quarry too. To get there just make pvp char and talk to either Luxon Diplomat or Kurzick Recruiter. Here is some builds ppl run there, it's one of most newbie friendly pvp you will find in GW. Convert the Imperial faction you get there to Balthazar faction by talking to Hei Tsu.
    Last edited by mmoca7d06c4104; 2012-03-18 at 02:17 PM.

Deleted
    It is not that hard to make a run for Eye of the North prettty early in the game. If you do then you get 3 level 20 heroes that help a LOT: Ogden (monk), Gwen (mesmer) and Vekk (ele). I think I did it at level 13 on my ritualist.

Deleted

I was leveling a ranger/monk and I got to lvl 11 in Nightfall and it seems like I'm done there, I don't know what else I'm suppose to do other than talk to Bendah to start Eye of the North. I have a few Zaishan quests but I have no idea where I'm suppose to go to do them. There are some unexplored areas I ran into around lvl 9-10 but there was a door blocking me from going in.

I guess my biggest issue so far is I don't even know where to begin, I've just been running around doing quests...
    You can find runes and insignias from Rune Trade or you can salvage these from some items foes drop (after you identify it). Just note that cheapest salvage kit can't salvage runes or insignias, only crafting materials. Vampiric weapon is weapon upgrade which you can salvage from weapons, but there isn't npc that trade these. But guru got popular auction site for these if you dont find someone selling the one you want in game.

Check this http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/List_...primary_quests, find the last part you did and check whats you are supposed to do next.

I guess you haven't customized your weapon so talk to Weaponsmith and he will customize it for 10 gold. Customizing increase base damage 20%, but after it only you can use that weapon.

Is it even worth it to farm HoM right now? And do you really have enough time to get a good amount before GW2?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bale View Post
    Is it even worth it to farm HoM right now? And do you really have enough time to get a good amount before GW2?
    You can get 10-20 in a month playing casually and it's still months before GW2 releases. Pre order starts in 3 weeks and SWTOR for example released 5 months after they made preorder available. Also ANET stated they will do beta weekends in the coming months.

...wut? o.O

Brief summary of how the AI system works:
    There are 2 types of AI characters, Henchmen, and Heroes.
    The Henchmen are basically pre-built heroes availible for recruiting in each outpost.
    The Heroes, are extra characters, you can change their skills, equipment and armor, you can control who they attack, what skills they use (altho you don't have to in normal mode).

A 7Hero build is a build consisting of 64(8 per character) skills that are used because they either have good synergy or because they compliment eachother well.

Runes and insignias are items you can salvage from 'salvagable items' in the game, they'll add bonuses to your armors.
    For example:
    Knight's insignia: adds -1 damage taken from physical attacks.
    Rune of Vitae: Adds +10 health.

If you were to apply these to a sunspear armor the sunspear armor would turn into a "Knight's Sunspear Armor of Vitae" and add -1 from physical attacks and +10 health" to your character.

A vampiric weapon is a weapon that drains your health at a constant rate, use it when you want to deathlevel pets.
    You are correct, you do not get lvl 20 instantly as a RP character, but reaching level 20 can be done in roughly 3-4h following the Factions > Gunnar's hold strategy listed a couple of pages back in this thread.

A great place for you to start (since you're already in NF) is to do all the missions and obtain the max awards on all of them, this will give you 1 point for your HoM.
    Secondly you will be needing cash for the HoM armors and to acquire these a great way is to pick up treasures found throughout Nightfall. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Treasure

The treasures can be opened once every 60 days and will give you a couple of gold items that you can either identify or sell (unidentified) for 700g a piece.
    All the chests will also give you a bucketload of gold and if you're lucky, you'll end up with a diamond, sapphire or ruby.
    Can you provide me with a map of your Nightfall area ? Pretty sure I can tell you how to proceed from there

Starting fresh, with guidance, you can get 30 points in roughly a month. If someone wants the rewards in GW2, there is no reason not to

Elementalist and Ritualist are, in my opinion, the best professions to start with.

For the phoenix pet, all you need is to have Ranger as your secondary for one skill.