Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Does Mass Effect 3 have a decent plot?

Yes, I realize there's a megathread but this is a rather specific question I want answered and I want to avoid reading spoilers.

My question is, "does Mass Effect 3 have a real plot/story arc?".

Now before you answer, let me explain what I mean. Mass Effect excels at characterization, drama and setting, but the actual plot is something that has fallen short ever since part two.

Mass Effect 1 actually had a very good plot with an interesting story arc and gradual unraveling of the various mysteries.

You started off on Eden Prime not knowing anything about future events and then continue to piece together various parts of the Prothean vision while learning more about the universe, races and people in the process. It was a truly good arc with a few twists and well-paced ending.

Mass Effect 2 however really didn't have much of a plot or a story arc. Instead the game kills you off in the first 2 minutes only so you can find yourself in dept to Cerberus who then tell you to prepare of a "suicide mission". The antagonists, the collectors, seem like nothing more than "filler villain" and the whole plot of Mass Effect 2 feels like a "filler plot".

Because 80% of the game you spend running around the Galaxy assembling a team and solving their problems, all in preparation for the final mission. Now while this works for the game overall, Mass Effect 2 has little to no relevance for the over-arcing story regarding the Reaper threat. It really is just filler content.

Now I'm, asking if Mass Effect 3 does any better?

I haven't yet purchased the game but if the plot is essentially summed up with "Reapers attack earth, travel the Galaxy to assemble a fleet and fight back" then I have no intention to. I require that the game have at least something that resembles a story arc, including build-ups, reveals and twists.

So without giving away too many details, does Mass Effect 3 have a real story arc or is it just as much "filler content" as Mass Effect 2?

I felt like they made the side missions a lot more meaningful, but yes the main plot seems to have much more substance than 2. The ending on the other hand...

I personally like Mass Effect 2 the most. I loved Citadel in ME2. Its way to limited in ME3, and the story and missions in ME2 seems a bit more polished and enjoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Yes, I realize there's a megathread but this is a rather specific question I want answered and I want to avoid reading spoilers.

My question is, "does Mass Effect 3 have a real plot/story arc?".

Now before you answer, let me explain what I mean. Mass Effect excels at characterization, drama and setting, but the actual plot is something that has fallen short ever since part two.

Mass Effect 1 actually had a very good plot with an interesting story arc and gradual unraveling of the various mysteries.

You started off on Eden Prime not knowing anything about future events and then continue to piece together various parts of the Prothean vision while learning more about the universe, races and people in the process. It was a truly good arc with a few twists and well-paced ending.

Mass Effect 2 however really didn't have much of a plot or a story arc. Instead the game kills you off in the first 2 minutes only so you can find yourself in dept to Cerberus who then tell you to prepare of a "suicide mission". The antagonists, the collectors, seem like nothing more than "filler villain" and the whole plot of Mass Effect 2 feels like a "filler plot".

Because 80% of the game you spend running around the Galaxy assembling a team and solving their problems, all in preparation for the final mission. Now while this works for the game overall, Mass Effect 2 has little to no relevance for the over-arcing story regarding the Reaper threat. It really is just filler content.

I haven't yet purchased the game but if the plot is essentially summed up with "Reapers attack earth, travel the Galaxy to assemble a fleet and fight back" then I have no intention to. I require that the game have at least something that resembles a story arc, including build-ups, reveals and twists.

So without giving away too many details, does Mass Effect 3 have a real story arc or is it just as much "filler content" as Mass Effect 2?
    The bolded part is included in the game. You have all of that.
    You also face the Reapers more or less throughout the game. They are a constant and noticable presence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawwah View Post
    I personally like Mass Effect 2 the most. I loved Citadel in ME2. Its way to limited in ME3, and the story and missions in ME2 seems a bit more polished and enjoying.
    I totally agree with this but it must be said that ME3 was an excellent game despite not being quite as good as ME2.

ME3 was good up until the last 10-15 min ,and before that I had planned to redo ME2 and replay ME3 to get the best possible ending, then i saw it and looked about the "variations " on youtube, it left a real good "MEH" and disappointed feeling , followed by a swift uninstall of both ME2 and 3 .
    Last edited by Finnio; 2012-03-18 at 11:48 AM.

ME2 felt like they tried to make a successful sequel, and ME3 felt like they tried to make as much money as they can, and still finish the story. It is not a bad game, but it could have been better. Story was alright, although it lacked all those "HOLY SHIT"-moments I had in previous games. You don't learn much while you progress through the game. You pretty much just go from planet to planet and solve various issues to gather army, learn some minor things about Protheans and finally learn what Reapers are actually for.

There isn't much I can say about the game without spoiling anything, but if you are waiting for an epic storyline, with twists and all the questions answered, you will be disappointed. After finishing the game I had the same kinda feeling I had when Lost ended. I was expecting more from it and all I was left with, was more questions.
    "Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one."
    - Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post

ME2 and ME3 both had plots. The ME2 plot just isn't the compelling overarching story tied into the Reapor threat that ME1 delivered. You can say that's filler, but putting together a team to stop a threat is a good plot in and of itself. It's only because it seems irrelevant to the overall Reaper invasion (and perhaps because building up ties with your teamates is non-linear sidequests) that gives you this contrast with ME1. ME3 is closer to that though IMHO, since there is a clear overarching story of racing against Cerberus to build the superweapon.

But no, ME3 did not have a decent plot. The ending ruined the plot completely.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-03-18 at 11:56 AM.

I think people should differentiate here: ME3 was an incredible game with a strong plot, right up until the last 15 minutes. Right as you step into the beam, every strength the game had so far goes out of the window.

Quote Originally Posted by mmff4 View Post
    ME2 felt like they tried to make a successful sequel, and ME3 felt like they tried to make as much money as they can, and still finish the story. It is not a bad game, but it could have been better. Story was alright, although it lacked all those "HOLY SHIT"-moments I had in previous games. You don't learn much while you progress through the game. You pretty much just go from planet to planet and solve various issues to gather army, learn some minor things about Protheans and finally learn what Reapers are actually for.

There isn't much I can say about the game without spoiling anything, but if you are waiting for an epic storyline, with twists and all the questions answered, you will be disappointed. After finishing the game I had the same kinda feeling I had when Lost ended. I was expecting more from it and all I was left with, was more questions.
    Well, there's actually quite a good reason why you felt that way. HUGE spoilers for Lost and ME3 following:
    It's because both series used a Deus Ex Machina to wrap up the story. The first 6 seasons of Lost were about the people being stranded on the island, trying to find a way off, then getting back on it mysteriously, then trying to survive, yadda yadda. And then the final season introduces a fight on the island between spirits, one who wants to destroy earth and one who protects earth, and we suddenly get told that the people got brought to the island in order to find a worthy successor of the good spirit.
    Similarly, almost all of Mass Effect is a fight against the reapers, where you amass an army to battle it out while you protect an unkown device that might help you weaken the reapers or even destroy them, only to be told, during the last 15 minutes, that there's actually a godlike entity controlling the reapers and that this entity is using the reapers to clean the universe of the most advanced species in order to prevent those from creating synthetics that would eradicate all species.

The feeling you had afterwards is typical for Deus Ex Machina endings, since they mostly ignore the story that happened before.

I've never played the games. But my cousin showed me some clips today.. I dare say I got goosebumps with some of the decisions you must make.

Mass Effect 3 is the most intense game in the trilogy, and the plot is immensely good; HOWEVER; you may or may have not heard of the outrage concerning the ending; I won't comment on it due to risk of spoiling, so I'll let you be the judge of that yourself. Technically speaking though, the game is absolutely amazing, it has improved upon the things that needed improving and also offers the most intense story that completely absorbs the player in a way that no other medium can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokoz View Post
    I've never played the games. But my cousin showed me some clips today.. I dare say I got goosebumps with some of the decisions you must make.
    red blue or green .....i just can't decide

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Mass Effect 3 is the most intense game in the trilogy, and the plot is immensely good; HOWEVER; you may or may have not heard of the outrage concerning the ending; I won't comment on it due to risk of spoiling, so I'll let you be the judge of that yourself. Technically speaking though, the game is absolutely amazing, it has improved upon the things that needed improving and also offers the most intense story that completely absorbs the player in a way that no other medium can.
    Yes story wise ME3 is amazing. I personally don't even mind the ending (though I have a lot of questions) but I can see why people are upset. For me it doesn't detract from the game itself but I still prefer ME2.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    red blue or green .....i just can't decide
    ikr? its such a shame.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's great till the end and you learn the reapers true purpose; then plot holes galore.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole game is great. Great characters, great plot, great missions. The end however.. well.. you know the outrage.. IT IS BAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I totally agree with this but it must be said that ME3 was an excellent game despite not being quite as good as ME2.
    Ya, I agree. But personally I think my feelings towards ME3, is mostly caused by the love I got for the characters in ME2..
    ME2 was the very first Mass Effect game I played. I tried the first ME after completing the second, but I stopped quickly because I found the controls a bit annoying. But Tali, Joker and all the other characters in the series is pretty much what keeps me hooked. And ofc the idea of having a community in space where humans and aliens live among eacother. Storytelling has indeed always been Biowares strong side.

From what I can see, its your generic "human hero that rallies humanoid alien races to fight something evil" mixed with relationships and illusions of choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawwah View Post
    Wut?

The Citadel in ME is considerably larger than the previous 2 games combined. the ME 2 Citadel suffered from the "shooting gallery" syndrome that plagued other areas. and ME1's Citadel was too open for most people to find NPCs or plot items.

Quote Originally Posted by raist474 View Post
    Wut?

The Citadel in ME is considerably larger than the previous 2 games combined. the ME 2 Citadel suffered from the "shooting gallery" syndrome that plagued other areas. and ME1's Citadel was too open for most people to find NPCs or plot items.
    Citadel in ME 2? All vendor hubs in ME 2 were pretty pathetic to be honest, except Illium. 50% of the Omega accessible area was a huge club, which contained nothing but Aria and the Citadel was pretty much 3 identical corridors stacked on each other. I loved that you could directly access the Normandy via shuttle though. The Dock in ME 3 is largely unused and conversations / side quests there could have been easily transferred somewhere else.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.