Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

What makes Gw2 Revolutionary and Promising to you.

IMHO. The fact that it's free to play after buying the box is the at the top of everyone's list. but im going to list all mine hehe.

1. F2P -B2p.

2. W.v.W.v.W

3. Awesome Looking Character's and animations not to mention Combining attacks

4. No Holy Trinity. To an extent Don't chew me out for that.

5. Massive Scale Dynamic Event's and World Progression.

6. A beautiful Unique Art Style

7. a near Perfect blending of fantasy Yet Sci-fi in one - Aura Golem's and such

8. They Specifically Stated they dont plan on competing with wow. we all know how many MMO'S have died with those words

9. The Combat System For example Dodging an attack Gives that Realistic Feeling and Makes you work for a kill instead of Mashing 1 2 5 button's all the time.

10. I like the Simple yet advanced Personal Story they implemented Makes me feel like the MMO Is Made just for me.

11. Possible to get 80 without help?. even more of a feeling that makes it seem like that game was made for me.

12. In the Press beta's and Demo's and other Game play Video's iv seen Teamwork from people just coming to help you out for the hell of it.

What Make's it Promising to me.

1. Arenanet are taking there time in developing it and Are not rushing it For $$ purposes

2. They are creating the game for the player's and are putting there best into that game so im thankful for them.

3. There team consists of people from Blizzard/Mythic/Bio-ware And other known Company's. so they all have worked on games that have failed and succeeded getting a good idea of what formula makes a mmo work.

I have many more but im just listing a few. What makes it Revolutionary for you
    Last edited by vilereaver41; 2012-03-06 at 07:09 AM.

the stuff in this thread has kind of already been said all over the place here and everywhere else.

nice fast bullet point list though I guess

The fact that it's a well thought out design that fixes in a simple and elegant fashion practically every single complaint formulated by anyone who has seriously played MMORPGs in the last decade.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    The fact that it's a well thought out design that fixes in a simple and elegant fashion practically every single complaint formulated by anyone who has seriously played MMORPGs in the last decade.
    Pretty much this for me.

The lack of subscription isn't important to me too much TBH. I do feel like a mug for paying it for other games after realising that patches weren't offering anything "for me"...but if there was a fantastic game, I'd still pay the sub if it was the only way of playing it.

What points come highest for me...

The lack of trinity - for me personally, the trinity clashes with what I want out of a game these days...I've tried to get back in to trinity based games, but ultimately feel dissatisfied.

The care given to social gaming...the effort made to make you always happy for other players to be around. I found racing to get the mob against 10 other folk in the same area a total drag. The point that it made for a very unsocial experience in what is supposed to be a very social environment I think is very astute and still impresses me.

Any everything else on the OPs list.

In summary - I'm really, really after a very social game...but one without any of the madness.

Hm, I don't particularly see much revolutionary in GW2. More evolutionary in that GW2 re-imagines a lot of older & current concepts. Which seems really cool. Most exciting is to see how Anet's business model and casual centric game will fair in the current games market.

I can't put my finger on what exactly caught my attention about GW2, But it did it right away. Maybe it was the presentation or the animations I don't know but I was hooked right away.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can jump. No really. The changed physics/movement is why i am playing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The water colour art style, it just looks amazing and the same b2p model as gw1.

Edit: Like grandpab... "The entire game is like a breath of fresh air."
    Last edited by Terranullis; 2012-03-06 at 08:17 AM.

The entire game is like a breath of fresh air.

I don't want to list a ton of other things everyone else is gonna say so I'll just say their philosophy. I love the way Arenanet thinks and how they do things. It seems like they really want to make the best game they make, and with no short cuts.

To me there are two things that stand out the most.

No Holy Trinity - The Holy Trinity was a great system, but it's outdated and needs to die off. TOR was the last straw for me with the trinity. I got tired of spamming on the fleet looking for a group and never finding anyone, even if I was a healer or tank. The only time I got to experience them was with RL friends I played with.

Level Scaling - I have said for years WoW needs to do something where you can visit old content without completely destroying it because of level. It is also nearly impossible to find enough people who just happen to be the same level and have equivalent gear required for the raid (for example a level 70 in T6ish for Black Temple). So I am exited to if "my idea" would work or not.

This also helps when a friend wants to start up a character and I don't want to create a new one. Scale me down to his/her level and let me experience the content as it should be (of course with the added help of more skills and such). I love rolling alts but hate when I have to if I want to run with a friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with what Fencers said, though GW2 has a whole bunch of neat features. Nothing it offers is truly revolutionary, the "no trinity" which is what most people are claiming is the truly revolutionary feature in GW2 has been done before. But like Grandpab said, GW2 to me is like "A breath of fresh air" to me personally because just by watching a godlike amount of videos over the past few months.

What Anet has done to this game is basically revitalize the 2 main things (imo anyways) as to what playing an MMoRPG truly should be like. And that is encouraging you, the player to be social and welcoming other players to help you attain your goals in the game through dynamic events. And the 2nd thing, actually encouraging you to explore the game world. I can't forget how I felt when I first laid eyes on my very first MMo (AC1) was in awe as to how big the game world was, I just couldn't wait to see what was over the nearest mountain or what was waiting for me across the lake. Its good to see that GW2 is once again giving me this feeling of curiosity as to what the game world has to offer.

IMHO. The fact that it's free to play after buying the box is the at the top of everyone's list. but im going to list all mine hehe.

1. F2P -B2p. - Check! But I can tell you this, I will drops thousands of $$$$ on the game via store in appreciation if they make it rock.

2. W.v.W.v.W - Check!

3. Awesome Looking Character's and animations not to mention Combining attacks - Check! This is a big draw for me. The detailed character customization. My wife who hates me playing wow, herself said this game looks mature enough for a man of my age to play and she won't mind if I do.

4. No Holy Trinity. To an extent Don't chew me out for that. - Pls explain to me what this means. I missed that one.

5. Massive Scale Dynamic Event's and World Progression. - Check!

6. A beautiful Unique Art Style - Check!

7. a near Perfect blending of fantasy Yet Sci-fi in one - Aura Golem's and such - Check!

8. They Specifically Stated they dont plan on competing with wow. we all know how many MMO'S have died with those words - Check!

9. The Combat System For example Dodging an attack Gives that Realistic Feeling and Makes you work for a kill instead of Mashing 1 2 5 button's all the time. - Check!

10. I like the Simple yet advanced Personal Story they implemented Makes me feel like the MMO Is Made just for me. - Check!

11. Possible to get 80 without help?. even more of a feeling that makes it seem like that game was made for me. - Check!

12. In the Press beta's and Demo's and other Game play Video's iv seen Teamwork from people just coming to help you out for the hell of it. - Check!

1. Arenanet are taking there time in developing it and Are not rushing it For $$ purposes - Check!

2. They are creating the game for the player's and are putting there best into that game so im thankful for them. - Check! Like I said in Point 1, I will show my appreciation in buying out their store goodies so they make a fair sum of money off my account at least.

3. There team consists of people from Blizzard/Mythic/Bio-ware And other known Company's. so they all have worked on games that have failed and succeeded getting a good idea of what formula makes a mmo work. - Check!

The thing is that AAA MMOs have been so very rigid and same-y that anything with the same exposure and polish of GW2 would be bound to be seen as a "revolution". There are actually a few MMOs which have done things differently from the EQ/Diku style. But they were commercially not very well received due to lack of budget and polish.

So some of GW2's grandiose-ness [made this word up] is perhaps just made up of the fact that your Fallen Earths, Mortals and SWGs and DCUO didn't look [or play] as tightly as GW2 seems to be. I mean Fallen Earth is actually good. Though few can argue it had the launch polish of Rift, the marketing of TOR or fanaticism of Guild Wars.

---------- Post added 2012-03-06 at 05:08 AM ----------

Edit: Also, people are just tired of the same style of games. So much so many resent that EQ/Diku style now.

Quote Originally Posted by vilereaver41 View Post

1. F2P -B2p. - Check! But I can tell you this, I will drops thousands of $$$$ on the game via store in appreciation if they make it rock.

2. W.v.W.v.W - Check!

3. Awesome Looking Character's and animations not to mention Combining attacks - Check! This is a big draw for me. The detailed character customization. My wife who hates me playing wow, herself said this game looks mature enough for a man of my age to play and she won't mind if I do.

4. No Holy Trinity. To an extent Don't chew me out for that. - Pls explain to me what this means. I missed that one.

5. Massive Scale Dynamic Event's and World Progression. - Check!

6. A beautiful Unique Art Style - Check!

7. a near Perfect blending of fantasy Yet Sci-fi in one - Aura Golem's and such - Check!

8. They Specifically Stated they dont plan on competing with wow. we all know how many MMO'S have died with those words - Check!

9. The Combat System For example Dodging an attack Gives that Realistic Feeling and Makes you work for a kill instead of Mashing 1 2 5 button's all the time. - Check!

10. I like the Simple yet advanced Personal Story they implemented Makes me feel like the MMO Is Made just for me. - Check!

11. Possible to get 80 without help?. even more of a feeling that makes it seem like that game was made for me. - Check!

12. In the Press beta's and Demo's and other Game play Video's iv seen Teamwork from people just coming to help you out for the hell of it. - Check!

1. Arenanet are taking there time in developing it and Are not rushing it For $$ purposes - Check!

2. They are creating the game for the player's and are putting there best into that game so im thankful for them. - Check! Like I said in Point 1, I will show my appreciation in buying out their store goodies so they make a fair sum of money off my account at least.

3. There team consists of people from Blizzard/Mythic/Bio-ware And other known Company's. so they all have worked on games that have failed and succeeded getting a good idea of what formula makes a mmo work. - Check!

I have many more but im just listing a few. What makes it Revolutionary for you
    Marked my replies in the above quote!

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that it isn't like Rift, SWTOR, Aion, EQ, WoW, ect.

I'm just excited to see new life in the mainstream MMO market, rather than the stagnant (imo) hotkey based MMO where questing is a means to an end (raiding or pvp). It's different, and that's what I like about it. Sure, it isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before, but that's not what matters. It's the way it's implemented that's evolutionary, and if that implementation is effective in the market, it will become revolutionary.

It still is an MMORPG, but it's a different MMORPG, it's what matters to me at least and why I think the game will do well. The game also seems to be very accessible so far, as well as deep; It's appealing to an existing market and has the potential to invite new blood to the genre.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

The fact that they're trying to turn the entire MMORPG genre up side-down.

Question everything.

The removal of the Triumvirate.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    The fact that they're trying to turn the entire MMORPG genre up side-down.

Question everything.
    Pretty much this. Anet has been so focused on making it unlike WoW that it will undoubtedly be fun to play for at least two months. A lot of the game looks shaky, but the differentness is going to be awesome.

Deleted
    The fact that Arenanet sat down and thought: Why make mechanics that aren't fun, for the sake of staying traditional? Is it fun not being able to join a group because your class can't tank? Is it fun to play whack-a-mole healing? Is it fun to somewhat "ignore" mechanics in a fight because your healer can outheal the damage? Is it fun to be absolutely anti-social in terms of groups in general? Is it fun to be punished for not having played pvp long enough to get insane gear? The list is endless

Downscaling your character to match lower level content. No more pointless trivialising of low level things.

WoW questing would be 20 times better if they did that.