Page 41 of 66 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I actually wanted to play a build similar to that (Sword/Shield + Bow) but when I got onto the beta I couldn't make a build I was satisfied with and ended up just playing around with a might stacking build. Nice to see something like that can be effective though.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    I hadn't tired bow before this BWE since I haven't been on my warrior too much apart from messing with a Hammer build.

But one of my team mates made a video showing off Bow+Sword/shield setup warrior.

Nice video, I'm glad to see that bow is a viable option and also that sword + shield can dish out some decent damage as well. I'm thinking about doing a control build involving a Hammer and sword / shield, I mainly like the sword just for the extra gap closer and slow abilities

10+ Year Old Account
    <--- Tossing up between Engineer and Warrior for main.

So, opinions on the state of Warriors in BWE3 / going into launch?

I was wondering the same til this BWE and Engi took over as my #1 again.

Warriors I'd have to say are quite solid. I'd say they are useful all around, even as support. I honestly I think they are one of the most well rounded professions but the main factor is what you really want to do with your character.Though my end conclusion was...

Warriors are effective and quite fun Engineers are effective and hella fun. Hella > quite so Engineer #1

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post

Incredibly viable.

They have many successful builds for PvP and PvE, and altogether are really well designed class.

Example builds for PvP:

Condition based Sword/Sword (or Sword/shield) and longbow
    Burst damage triple axe/shield
    High burst damage, reliant on CDs Greatsword + Axe/Shield (axe/axe works as well. so does rifle to an extent)
    Control based hammer + mace/mace (mace+shield as well)
    Support builds through banners, shouts, warhorns

Lots of options.

For PvE the two most common seem to be Greatsword/Longbow and Hammer/Rifle.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-07-25 at 06:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Incredibly strong.
    As far as damage goes, I noticed that
    I'm wondering if it's a trade off due to having less utility than other classes, or if it'll be nerfed.

As far as damage goes, I noticed that
    I'm wondering if it's a trade off due to having less utility than other classes, or if it'll be nerfed.
    I edited my post.

They can do more than damage.

Deleted
    Man I loved my setup for the last Beta event, I was using 2handed sword+Axe/shield. I only did PvP this BWE, so I don't think it's very viable for PVE haha. Basically I stacked all the crit chance and increased critical hit damage I could, so I had like 73% crit, and I pretty much annihilated everyone. WAS AWESOME!

Hey guys, some of you may know my posts on here in full support of this MMO im happy to announce that I've just uploaded a short PvP preview from the last BWE3.

Charr Wariror level 80 SPvP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBuXiqRnTUA

I made the video purely for the fun of it. Its a short quickly thrown together vid so please bare with me, at launch ill certainly bring more quality!

Firstly I have to say from my last play of BWE3 I can't believe how amazing this game is (especially PvE which is secondary to me in MMOs) and I cant wait for launch. I really thought i'd be able to play this and MoP but now I fear I won't have the time or the passion for MoP. But we will see.

Back to the video, I just wanted to point out that the few lag spikes in some clips are from Fraps giving me hell and not the beta which ran incredibly smooth for me. I run a i7 2700k 3.5ghz, 16gb ram, GTX560 (regular ) before anyone asks.

Again as this is beta it does not represent the final product and everyone seen are most likely playing those classes for the first time and of course we're all new to GW2 as the game hasn't even launched yet and I never played Guild Wars 1.

Hope you enjoy the vid just like I enjoy watching others pvp vids.

Hoping to see you all at launch! Charr Warrior FTW xD

I thought this would be a good place to post it

Had to re-upload it all finally done properly.

Welp I want to post the main build I was using for BWE 3.

Might Build
    This was my reformed build after I realized I fucked up my first build quite badly. Originally I left Fast Hands out of the build by accident because I didn't realize I couldn't get it as well as Opportunist+the last trait in the Strength line.

Now this build intentionally has 2 of the same weapon sets and that is because it just made it easier to spam them on the swap on CD w/o wasting an ability (I tried it with a shield as one of the OH but it just didnt work as well) and the idea is to become a wreaking ball as battles go on easily capping out the 25 might stacks and getting high vulnerability on targets.

The most basic routine with this build was to pop "For Great Justice" and Signet of Might as soon as I spawn to get me 8 might as well as a full adrenaline bar (because of Berserkers Might) then jump into the fray CCing and blowing up whatever stood in my way. I started most fights with a nice 16/17 power stacked Eviscerate (Pop signets + shout then throw axe 1st to get in combat then weapon swap for might).

Quite fun but it was 1 of those builds you knew you could ruin somebodys day with. I could easyily 100% lock down some1 from full to no health but I tried to avoid doing that.

Here's a variant on the triple axe build I was using during BWE3.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fIAQ...uak1s4YwxGkJIA

The entire point of this is for massive adrenaline gain, and then using eviscerate (does approx 4-8k damage on crit) to dump it. I use axes in both mainhands because of the weapon sigil. With a few tweaks, this could also work in PvE.

---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 06:48 AM ----------

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fIAQ...ubk3s4YEyOkJIA

Also this build I'm posting here because I'll forget it. It's a healing/tanky warrior.

---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 07:10 AM ----------

Screw it, I made another one.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fIAQ...rUOpkStQYgwGEA

Offensive/Control - Hammer + Mace/Mace

Stuns will last 3.25-3.5 (depending how on its calculated), I have a 50% increased crit chance when someone is stunned, and I have three of them. I also have 50% increase damage to people knockdowned, and as well I have 3 of those. >=D

So a combo would be something like, for hammer, Staggering Blow -> Earthshaker -> Frenzy -> Backbreaker after the stun is gone.

Sick deeps. Another possibility for this build would be to have axe/axe and mace/mace. Something like, Tremor -> Crushing Blow -> Skull Crack -> Weaponswap -> Frenzy -> Chop chop chop -> Eviscerate after frenzy.

Oh god. The possibilities.

edit: made it http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fIAQ...OpkStQYwxGkJIA
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-07-27 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Bow and Sword/Shield for sPvP. Better than those braindead GS/double axe builds. Conditions > straight up damage.
    If you believe that then you have totally missed the mark as to what ANET has developed. I dont play GS/ Axe Shield combo because im brain dead, I play that combo because it fits my play style. I play a very strategic game style I like to be on the move from one point to another, which means I need very fast heavy burst damage. My personal reaction times are better suited to the type of build I run. Im a tactician In a short period of time I can size up a group and exploit whom ever I feel has a greater weakness.

Conditions dont allow me to play the best that I can play. I was a 2600k rated Lock in WoW and I never used Dots (Conditions) I used straight up burst damage as a Destro lock. I always play the same build, a balanced class for high single target damage with high suvivablilty did the same with my Disc Priest.

Your sending the wrong message to new comers of Guildwars 2, ANET has designed a pretty well balanced game that gives you a huge amount of flexability thats effective. Play as you want to play and you can succeed if your skilled.

Ill go up against your condition build any day of the week. Ill keep you locked down and ill blow you up before you can set your first bleed on me. Because I know how to counter a bleed build. Now if you know how to counter a heavly protected burst damage warrior then it will end up being a close match.

But dont assume one build is the end all of builds or youll find yourself on your face most of the time in sPvP.

I thought Warrior was quite good [performance wise] and a very deep class. Fun as well, natch. There is a lot of under the hood complexity to Warriors, IMO. The large set of weapons they use are very well designed. More so than other classes where I felt at least 1-3 weapon sets were poorly implemented or simply didn't work together well.

Warriors, Rangers and Elementalist seem to be very "complete" classes. Great kits, sound design, fun to play, interesting to play [barring Ranger].

I noticed no lack of utility for a Warrior, to be honest. Lock downs, gap closers, buffs, passives, etc-- all feature complete for a Warrior. Unless you mean versatility and then Guardian, Engineer or Elementalist are stronger picks.

Indeed. Warriors are altogether an incredibly fleshed out and well designed class. It's a shame more people didn't try to deviate from the FOTM Greatsword and Triple axe stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I noticed no lack of utility for a Warrior, to be honest.
    I think for me that was just coming from the perspective of playing an Engineer for 2 BWEs, where no matter what you brought you had a million buffs, CCs, etc.

The warrior on the other hand feels like builds are a lot more important. Which I like because it feels a lot more Guild Wars.

I think for me that was just coming from the perspective of playing an Engineer for 2 BWEs, where no matter what you brought you had a million buffs, CCs, etc.

The warrior on the other hand feels like builds are a lot more important. Which I like because it feels a lot more Guild Wars.
    Indeed. Warriors are much more focused of a class. If you didn't build for it, you probably can't, or shouldn't, bring it.

They do bring a lot of support, actually. There's a large number of support builds, such as banners or healing shouts, defensive control, and so on.

Indeed. Warriors are much more focused of a class. If you didn't build for it, you probably can't, or shouldn't, bring it.
    Not sure how that statement is any more true for a Warrior than other professions.

If I am misreading here, apologies.

I played a Warrior main in GW1. I really wouldn't say Warriors in GW2 are anymore build orientated than other classes. One really is not going to be effective as a heavy Compassion/Water spec's Ele using Air and Arcane primarily.

Yes, an Engineer has a lot of doodads and such. Though that is a matter of versatility, IMO. Again Guardians have that flavor while being more, um... "Warrior-y". Technical term.

From my experience, if you build a warrior for pure damage, you will only be able to do pure damage. If you build a guardian, that guardian can still support his team to a limited degree.

As a warrior, you can't just pick up a trait or bring a utility skill and still be effective at that. To use a guardian again, a guardian can still have satisfactory area control or support. An elementalist will be able to help out their team through various utility. A warrior really can't. They have to put a focus on something for that something to be worth using.

They are limited, but they have many options for how they choose to limit themselves. Other professions are far more versatile.

Hm. Interesting. I would not say that is my experience. Though perhaps it was more limited as I did only a small amount of PVP compared to PVE.

That said, I did run a mostly offensive build with a few support/utility options as needed; charge, kick, banner, For Great Justice!, I Will Avenge You!, etc. The KDs and stuns in particular had a lot of PVE value.

What's your opinion on Hammer/Rifle versus Greatsword/Longbow for PvE?