Thread: Monk Concerns

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Felade View Post
    Just turning the "if you like it, don't play it" logic around.

If you don't like healing, don't do it, don't ask for a way to do what you already do (DPS) while healing.
    Don't have to ask for it because it's coming. Lol. Disliking change will not make it go away.

Don't have to ask for it because it's coming. Lol. Disliking change will not make it go away.
    As long as we have pure DPS classes in this game, however, healer DPS will never be meaningful.

As long as we have pure DPS classes in this game, however, healer DPS will never be meaningful.
    Doesn't have to be. It's fun, and that gets more people playing healers.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not like I'm expecting Monk healers to even be moderately competitive in DPS. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can even do 30% of what the pure DPSers can do. I'm just happy that I'll be able to inflict damage while keeping my friends alive in raids. I also like the melee range healing, it puts me in harms way but for a pay off, sounds cool to me.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The easiest change is to allow Statues to be placed in combat.
    Which I think is the case, anyway.

---------- Post added 2012-03-20 at 02:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    It's not like I'm expecting Monk healers to even be moderately competitive in DPS. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can even do 30% of what the pure DPSers can do. I'm just happy that I'll be able to inflict damage while keeping my friends alive in raids. I also like the melee range healing, it puts me in harms way but for a pay off, sounds cool to me.
    I doubt it either. But the concept of "hands off" healing is neat assuming Blizz doesn't remove it.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Zavthefallen View Post
    If its done right it will grab many players who would of never considered healing. Some of us don't want to stare at green bars and cast individual heals. Would love to see a healing style where you can put out "efficient" heals while doing melee attacks, good statue placement, timing on releasing orbs, and the occasional direct heal you might need to put out. This is a healing class I would make my new main.
    To be a "real healer", as in a useful raid member keeping your team alive, you will have to use direct heals a lot more than some might define as "occasionally". The dps->heal mechanic will be fun, i'll enjoy it on my monk no doubt. But if you are going to take up one of the 5-7 healing spots, you damn well better be doing your job and watching those green bars as needed (not saying you have to stare at em), or you wont be raiding for long.
    Last edited by Keiyra; 2012-03-20 at 07:44 PM.

The problem is, they could click it at the wrong time. Imagine if you were doing something like, oh, Ultraxion. And you go into the zone while someone clicks your statue, and you lose 2 seconds of your 6 second buff. Or you're doing Blackhorn, and someone clicks the statue to work on drakes, but the melee adds are both dead. Or you're on Spine, and someone clicks on your statue while DPSing an Amalg (or just on accident) and you can't get the buff for the next tendon. Or imagine you are trying to line up your CD with your weapon enchants and trinket procs, or with other CDs, and some schmoe uses up all the charges when you're not ready. Or you're doing Magmaw chains, and someone clicks your statue while you are on the worm's back and not DPSing at all. Or you're doing Zon'ozz, and you really want to save charges for Black Blood phase, and someone uses them all up. Someone clicks your statue just before Hagara goes into frost/lightning phase, completely wasting the buff. Etc, Etc.

The issue isn't if they'll click or not. The issue is when they click.

And the benefit is?....
    Those are all examples of playing with bad players not examples of the abilities themselves being poorly designed. All I've read from you so far is a bunch of whining with your examples being only things that happen when you play with morons where min/maxing doesn't matter a single bit.

If you want to go DPS, go play a DPS. Stop mucking up healing. If you don't like healing, you don't have to play a monk, or any other healer. But if you're going to heal, you are going to have to do some staring at little green bars.
    If you want to purely heal, go play a pure healer. Stop mucking up interesting mechanics. If you don't like dpsing while you heal, you don't have to play a monk, or any other hybrid. But if you're going to play a monk, you are going to have to do some damage.

Monks will still require constant monitoring of health bars, but it has a completely different style of play for people who want to dip their toes into it. I personally love the healing role because it has such importance in a group setting, but I also thoroughly enjoy dpsing and this gives me the ability to satisfy both of my desires. If you don't want to have that extra facet of play by managing your damage v healing GCDs properly then stick to any one of the pure healers already in the game. I don't enjoy the DK class and have never leveled one above 62 (though I've played them a couple times briefly on PTRs), but I never cried when WotLK launched just because my style of play didn't mesh with the brand new awesomesauce hero class.

Try the class out when you get the chance, if it doesn't fit your play style then that's to bad - it just means the class isn't meant for you. In the meantime stop acting like a giant jackass just because other people know they'll enjoy a new style of play you won't. There's absolutely nothing wrong with people who enjoy multiple aspects of the game and the role overlap is one of the big draws to the play style, if that doesn't appeal to you then tough shit.

Lightwell for DPS. You thought having your healing be dependent on other players was annoying? Wait until you have to have someone else click your DPS cooldowns for you.
    Willing to bet the problem is more "The buffs don't stack, and two people clicked them as soon as we pulled".
    DPS will screw anyone to get a better parse, ask me how I know :3
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2012-03-22 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noviskers View Post
    For the damage while healing I was more hoping for something along the lines of atonement, where you can use it but its not required to used it and you can heal just fine without doing it.
    You are going to HAVE to use Jab to generate Chi efficiently so it doesn't really matter. Use Chi Wave bouncing off the boss to the raid to damage/heal and using Expel Harm to heal the tank and do damage to the boss. These will all trigger the statue.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    Is there a term you have for being shown proof and choosing to dismiss it?
    Starting a Monk Blog; Celestial Fists: http://celestialfists.blogspot.com/
    Called Garrosh as end boss: 10/28/2011

15+ Year Old Account
    Doing damage while healing: I understand some people like this. IMHO, those people shouldn't be playing healers. Its unfortunate that this concept is so baked into Monk healing that there doesn't seem to be much room for folks like myself who aren't fans of doing damage while healing in this class.
    So I take it that you don't think people who play Blood DKs should be playing tanks then? They heal while tanking.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

I'll turn it around again: Imagine if I went in and said "from now on, Warlocks do DPS by selecting low health players in the raid, and casting DOTs or nukes towards the players, doing a little healing, but that healing is reflected towards the boss, doing damage."

Can you imagine some Warlocks might be a little upset because their playstyle just got totally upended? They might complain that they didn't roll a healing capable class for a reason?
    Only because the Warlock is a class that already exists and has a playerbase used to it's playstyle. The Monk is a new class offering an alternative, it isn't upending anyone.