Thread: GW2 World

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

GW2 World

How big is GW2 world supposed to be?
    In comparison with WoW for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say that the continent of tyria is larger than Kalimdor and ek combined.
    That doesn't include the elonian continent (attached to tyria) and cantha. In addition we also get Orr so...

Last edited by Glytch; 2012-03-19 at 02:21 PM.
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    Well seeing as how elona was bigger then all of wow back when it was released, I'm gonna say pretty damn big especially after the first xpac is released.... However it may be smaller then wow at first due to the burning isles and ye crystal desert being unaccessable but it'll probably be the size of vanilla wow if not bigger
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

15+ Year Old Account
    Does it really matter how big it is in relation to World of Warcraft? Should go for quality over quantity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Does it really matter how big it is in relation to World of Warcraft? Should go for quality over quantity.
    it has both
    The Original Ganksta

At times I get a little confused about the size of the world because in some videos it really does feel like it's massive but then in others although it looks big it's smaller than I perceived it to be.

I just don't know what to think about it any more.

I'm hoping it's possible to truly immerse and lose yourself in the game world for hours on end. That's what I crave from a fantasy MMORPG and what I once felt when WoW took itself a bit more seriously. Since I intend to role-play, I hope there's lots of hidden niches strewn about the environment. Exploring hidden crypts and the like would be pretty epic, in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    At times I get a little confused about the size of the world because in some videos it really does feel like it's massive but then in others although it looks big it's smaller than I perceived it to be.

I just don't know what to think about it any more.
    keep in mind that so far anet has created 3 games worth of land, not just 1 huge place then a small zone like wow did, but 3 massive stand alone continents. logic would say that the first 2-3 expansions will allow access to those zones, which no matter how you look at it is a massive amount of land, far far more than WoW would have by that time

heck i'd even say GW2 at launch has as much if not more area to explore than wow does currently. not to mention theres actually important stuff and minimal dead space
    The Original Ganksta

Ah there was a post about this recently and someone posted this link:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/306052

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    It has both as glytch said, and i compared it to wow because a ton of people on this forum have played wow before so it's easier for them to understand roughly how big it is rather then saying "Oh it's X times bigger then the planet grawruferaugh in fancy spaceship game Y"
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

If anybody's played the original Guild Wars you'll know just how big Maguuma Jungle, Kryta, Tyria, and the Shiverpeaks are. That alone, as far as the sense of scale goes, is bigger than at least Eastern Kingdoms + Kalimdor combined.

I don't get why people always compare mmo world sizes. Star Wars Galaxies had huge world sizes I hear, except they were basically empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelheim View Post
    I'm hoping it's possible to truly immerse and lose yourself in the game world for hours on end. That's what I crave from a fantasy MMORPG and what I once felt when WoW took itself a bit more seriously. Since I intend to role-play, I hope there's lots of hidden niches strewn about the environment. Exploring hidden crypts and the like would be pretty epic, in my opinion.
    They've got that.
    "Please find my dear friends.
    Dead or Alive" -redmakoto

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by toychristopher View Post
    I don't get why people always compare mmo world sizes. Star Wars Galaxies had huge world sizes I hear, except they were basically empty.

They've got that.
    SWG was also a sandbox mmo where essentially every city in the game was built and run by players.

Is it true that you have to go through a loading screen and a portal to go from zone to zone?
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

That's kind of a bummer. It kills the immersion a little bit, but at least it won't be nearly as bad as traveling to different worlds in SWTOR. Fucking spaceports...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    That's kind of a bummer. It kills the immersion a little bit, but at least it won't be nearly as bad as traveling to different worlds in SWTOR. Fucking spaceports...
    Not to mention giant green gates of phase ad red gates of you shall not pass lol, idk, I don't think the portals kill immersion because they're pretty see through...

It's not a big deal to me at all, it's just weird that zones are separated by a wall that surrounds them. I can see why they would do it from a technical point of view though (maybe?). It should make it easier on computers with lower specs shouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    It's not a big deal to me at all, it's just weird that zones are separated by a wall that surrounds them. I can see why they would do it from a technical point of view though (maybe?). It should make it easier on computers with lower specs shouldn't it?
    I think it's just a cheaper alternative. I'm not well-versed enough in server tech to clarify this though, but that's my guess. It's cheaper to have multiple small zones instead of one big giant zone (Kalimdor/EK).
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I wonder if it'll be as large as Vanguard in time. That game was gigantic. I never made it like half way through the maps. x_x

Overall size of the game world doesn't matter too much as long as there is lots to do.

I'm not sure if it's cheaper, but I think it might allow them to control population and lag better.

In WoW and other games there are still walls around each zone, only a flying mount lets you fly over them. Designers like those separations because the let you control the aesthetic and flow of an area.
    "Please find my dear friends.
    Dead or Alive" -redmakoto