Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Boring Shadowpriest talents in MoP

Am I the only one who think our talents look a bit dull?
    I know they're not supposed to be mandatory, but it feels like something really is missing and that blizzard is too focused on healing for the talents.
    What are your thoughts?

Could possibly be that the talents are nowhere near complete yet.

Deleted
    I'm not so worried about the talents, some of them look rather interesting changing our rotation slightly depending on fight mechanics. What I'm concerned about is lack of general info about shadowpriests.
    All I've read about is that we are loosing some healing spells and the mind blast/shadow orb change. Way to less info about one of our key spells.

Some information from today (from a german fansite interview with greg street)

1) The quality of talents between classes is bad (e.g. priest is copy pasta from current talents.)
    2) After the QQ of the last talent calc update, they noticed they hadn't touched priest much, so they worked quite a bit on priest the last weeks. (we're the only class without a know lvl 87 spell currently)
    3) Shadowpriests supposedly have Renew and Binding Heal back in their Arsensal, with Holy Nova (lol) still being a possibilty. (yay)

I'm not so worried about the talents, some of them look rather interesting changing our rotation slightly depending on fight mechanics.
    What rotation?
    VT every 15 sec, Mindblast if 1 orb (or Surge of Darkness), else flay? That's pretty boring. And no talent does change that (that's why SoD is in brackets)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    What rotation?
    VT every 15 sec, Mindblast if 1 orb (or Surge of Darkness), else flay? That's pretty boring. And no talent does change that (that's why SoD is in brackets)
    Yeah, maybe rotation was a bad choice of wording on my part. I was thinking about lvl 45 and 75 talents and how they could (I hope they will) make shadowpriest a bit more challenging to play.

Yes, i feel exactly the same.. I am totaly disappointed when looking at the priest tree as a shadowpriest (or priest in general) and comparing it to the warlock tree for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    Some information from today (from a german fansite interview with greg street)

1) The quality of talents between classes is bad (e.g. priest is copy pasta from current talents.)
    2) After the QQ of the last talent calc update, they noticed they hadn't touched priest much, so they worked quite a bit on priest the last weeks. (we're the only class without a know lvl 87 spell currently)
    3) Shadowpriests supposedly have Renew and Binding Heal back in their Arsensal, with Holy Nova (lol) still being a possibilty. (yay)
    Thank you! Sounds promising.

Deleted
    Current priest talents and spells that you can see are veeeeeeeeery old. They are significantly changed from that don't worry.

They've said themselves, that they're still working on the Priest Talents. Don't panic, you wont be like this at Launch : )

Almost 100% sure they won't change anything in talents. Cata beta showed they have little interest in priest class overall so they invent some random thing and won't change it till expac goes live. Just deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still steamed they even considered removing Binding Heal from Discipline... it is by far my most used heal in 90% of situations
    Professor Necomi - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Necomi/simple
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    Almost 100% sure they won't change anything in talents. Cata beta showed they have little interest in priest class overall so they invent some random thing and won't change it till expac goes live. Just deal with it.

God im sick of emo's on this forum.

If you don't have anything nice to say...
    Last edited by Arlee; 2012-03-21 at 10:36 PM.

Deleted
    Emo's? Its true. During months of cata beta there was lot of discussions how some spriests mechamisms were broken/not working well. Fanboys said just same as now, "Dont worry, it will be fixed before release"... Did not happen, fixes did come months after cata release.

Deleted
    You get the feeling devs are trying to fix some of our flaws by 2p/4p tier bonuses (t13 2p for shadow orb RNG and 4p for our suicidal tendencies by using SW in high dmg phases). They just never get around to making those kind of changes to our core build.

10+ Year Old Account
    id like a nice overhaul of the effects so that mind flay looks like the mind flay of the priests in the HoT dungeon as now there pretty dull looking

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    id like a nice overhaul of the effects so that mind flay looks like the mind flay of the priests in the HoT dungeon as now there pretty dull looking
    yes we should all be worrying what our spells look like and forget about our class mechanics all together.

but in all seriousness, they are working on it and im sure something will be done. but as usual very close to Mop release or after it.

Deleted
    I agree. Sadly. There are pretty much no options to a PvE player for shadow in the talent tree. Plus they are boring as hell.

Level 15 - Psychic Scream (still useless 90% of the times)
    Level 30 - Body and Soul (since getting damaged with Levitate still removes it if I am right? and in PvE as DPS you dont really need to move for longer than 3 sec if played right). Phantasm is a PvP talent
    Level 45 - Archangel, guess it depends on the damage Divine Star does but as it also does healing dont think it will be much. Not sure about Surge of Darkness but it seems weak. Mind Blast is a below 1.5 sec cast already and making it instant would just make us wait for that time to cast something new. Needs a rework to be made an option.
    Level 60 - Desperate Prayer - the only option
    Level 75 - Power Infusion, the only option. Maybe if Twist of Fate started to function earlier than 20% we would have a choice
    Level 90 - Vampiric Dominance - only choice

So no new spells for shadow in the talents. Either way because priests have 2 healing trees and 1 shadow it is more than likely that the likelihood of us actually getting some choice at choosing what we pick is very low and we will be pigeon-holed into the same playstyle and rotation that we have been using since forever.

Dont expect any tension to come into shadow priest gameplay. I dont.

I would like to see some fun minor glyph options for shadow, something with playing around the shadowform. A glyph that would turn us into a shadowy wisp perhaps? that would be fun. With the information we have of the warlock, paladin and druid glyphs it seems there is not much they could do with shadow that would be as fun. Maybe change the appearance of shadowy apparitions, make them creepy ?

Making the current T13 4p bonus a talent choice would be a good idea as well.
    Last edited by mmoc4282a3f415; 2012-03-20 at 01:58 PM.

Yeah. The reason for the talent overhaul was for more options but I don't see more options as a Shadowpriest. As a healing priest, sure. There's lots to choose from.
    Don't get me wrong, my Shadowpriest is my main for a reason, I just love the playstyle... But where's the choices for us in the talents?

I don't get all the complaining. Especially for PvE, all the classes are the same: something's a useless choice, or it's a damage talent and will be simmed out to determine which is best. I'm looking at the same situation for my prot pally, assass rogue, enhance shammy, and arms warrior. The only one of those that /might/ have a change in the actual play is rogue, the rest are just fairly nondescript passive benefits, a rarely-applicable extra ability, or an additional cooldown.

Really, the odd thing here is that healing specs seem to have the freedom to make choices, not that shadow priests can't.

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    I don't get all the complaining. Especially for PvE, all the classes are the same: something's a useless choice, or it's a damage talent and will be simmed out to determine which is best. I'm looking at the same situation for my prot pally, assass rogue, enhance shammy, and arms warrior. The only one of those that /might/ have a change in the actual play is rogue, the rest are just fairly nondescript passive benefits, a rarely-applicable extra ability, or an additional cooldown.

Really, the odd thing here is that healing specs seem to have the freedom to make choices, not that shadow priests can't.
    For me it's mostly about that the shadow spec at this point is not very well explained yet. There are still quit a few unanswered questions that the answers to those questions will determine a good deal of how we work in MoP.

Deleted
    I wouldn't get too hung up about the talents, they do seem to be rather 'this is a different way to do a fun thing that you probably won't even use on a patchwork fight'
    take a look at the warlock talents (they seem to be the most worked on?), there's very little in there that actually changes their dps. Most of it is healing / movement / CC based.
    The DPS options are elsewhere, glyphs, spec abilities.
    In that regard i think priests are looking mostly fine. The first tier is rather underwhelming but things like choosing between PI and execute is an interesting choice. One may come out ahead of the other on a per fight basis but you also get synergy with other talents. A divine star / execute / vamp dominance build offers a lot of clutch healing.
    A PI / AA build offers a lot of burst.
    As dps I think these will change per fight I know I'd want execute on raggy and burst on hagara for example.