Page 1 of 2
LastLast

More servers....

Anyone else thnk that riot needs to make more servers for other countries? im so tired of getting teams full of people i cant even talk to. i just had 4 straight games where my team spoke some other language and i lost all of them

Yeah, I just had a game where the rest of my team was speaking another language the entire time, too. Very frustrating experience.

yeah, dont you just hate it when people can speak another language, this doesnt happen in any other game, just LoL.
    Becasue in every other online game everyone speaks english !
    게임 은 어렵~~

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Yeah, I just had a game where the rest of my team was speaking another language the entire time, too. Very frustrating experience.
    I was gonna ask if you where on EU North/East but I noticed your signature.
    Having been in said part, I got so tired of all the russians and poles that I moved to EU West. Atleast I can understand the germans, and not all frenchies are bad at english. And I don't have endure the horrible attitudes of a majority of the russian players.
    But if you play on US servers, what other languages do people speak there? Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    yeah, dont you just hate it when people can speak another language, this doesnt happen in any other game, just LoL.
    Becasue in every other online game everyone speaks english !
    If it's a problem, it's a problem. Regardless of whether other games have it, LoL does.

We're not saying "everyone who plays online games needs to speak English," we're saying "people who play online games should be able to play exclusively with people who speak their language, so that no one has to be frustrated at a communication barrier."

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    But if you play on US servers, what other languages do people speak there? Spanish?
    I've had Spanish a few times, that wasn't that bad, since I'm at least familiar with it. Last game, though, I had four people speaking Japanese/Chinese/Korean-- something using those distinctive characters that I'm not well-versed enough to differentiate-- and I've had that happen in the past as well.

Deleted
    hey guys, I'll shock you now.

The French speaks French.
    The Spanish speaks Spanish.
    The Portuguese speaks Portuguese.
    The Germans speaks German.

...and so on.

You speak English, great for you!
    I'm sure the millions that can't even talk about the weather in English or prefer not to are envious!

I'm also sure they like playing a game that requires close to no knowledge in English unless you want to teamwork.

does it bother you to be so elitist that you can't acknowledge that everyone isn't great at English?
    probably not. but in the very least if it bothers you that much you have the option to queue up with people you know beforehand.
    Last edited by mmoc63f6c1cc20; 2012-03-19 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post

...and so on.

I'm sure the millions that can't even talk about the weather in English or prefer not to are envious!

I'm also sure they like playing a game that requires close to no knowledge in English unless you want to teamwork.

does it bother you to be so elitist that you can't acknowledge that everyone isn't great at English?
    probably not. but in the very least if it bothers you that much you have the option to queue up with people you know beforehand.
    He isn't saying that he wants everyone to be good at English, so read it again if thats what you took from it. He is saying that it can be frustrating to be on a team with others who do not speak your language, because it prevents teamwork from happening, and in a game based around teamwork at a fairly high level, it can be a bit of a problem. Pings will only take teamwork so far. I have been on a team with a Spanish speaking person, and three French speaking players, and it was quite frustrating because half the team could not communicate with the other half, leading to a cap on how far our teamwork could even go. It has nothing to do with being elitist.

Hold it. Not only does the vast majority of PT players speak fluent english, we'll be the first ones to volunteer doing it. Please do not include this country in that list. While there are exceptions, the vast majority will fit in here.

And being portuguese as I am, I'd still be the first one to say "english or GTFO" in any game where communication is important. Understanding and being understood by your teammates should be the minimum that someone can expect in today's gaming world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gladly for me, i only get teams that speak english or spanish .. and whenever i get a spanish teammate that doesnt speak english, and the others do speak english i try to be a translator between them , usually works.

I want to learn more languages !
    Portuguese isnt that different from spanish, so normally i can communicate a bit, but i want to fully learn it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    Hold it. Not only does the vast majority of PT players speak fluent english
    hold it! not only does a vast majority of the PT players I've met in my life quite simply speak poor or no English at all, they're definitely not as chivalrous as you are.

in all fairness, I see Swedish people which should by standard be able to yell curses in English with no difficulty speak Swedish with their Swedish teammates, and that's just the way it goes.

at the end of the day a person that isn't good at speaking English will prefer not to speak it at all, and therefore it is if anything a very elitist view that "everyone should speak the same language as me or gtfo".

how to remedy this? be nice and try to coerce them into using simple phrases such as "gank mid" or "help blue".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    Hold it. Not only does the vast majority of PT players speak fluent english, we'll be the first ones to volunteer doing it. Please do not include this country in that list. While there are exceptions, the vast majority will fit in here.

And being portuguese as I am, I'd still be the first one to say "english or GTFO" in any game where communication is important. Understanding and being understood by your teammates should be the minimum that someone can expect in today's gaming world.
    i don't think you can say the majority of PT player can speak fluently when there are lots that can't, most of my friends being a example. Yes there are many that speak it fluently but i wouldn't say the majority.
    I do agree it's annoying to get teams that don't use english or any other language you can understand but splitting people because of language barriers isn't a good idea.
    I actually wrote this in portuguese before i realized I was in a english forum xD

at the end of the day a person that isn't good at speaking English will prefer not to speak it at all, and therefore it is if anything a very elitist view that "everyone should speak the same language as me or gtfo".

how to remedy this? be nice and try to coerce them into using simple phrases such as "gank mid" or "help blue".
    best solution in my eyes right there
    Last edited by mmoc9212fb5f36; 2012-03-19 at 07:53 PM.

They should be region locked. US/Canada, EU, Asia, Mexico/S. America.

hold it! not only does a vast majority of the PT players I've met in my life quite simply speak poor or no English at all, they're definitely not as chivalrous as you are.

in all fairness, I see Swedish people which should by standard be able to yell curses in English with no difficulty speak Swedish with their Swedish teammates, and that's just the way it goes.

You just opposed forcing people into using english calling it elitism. And as a remedy you suggest COERCING them into using english. Contradicting yourself much? This is a team game. Winning your lane doesn't mean you win the game, because everything rides on teamwork. If you aren't able to use simple english phrases to communicate with your team, it's best you stick with cod. Want to speak your native language with the guy you queued with? There's something called whisper, use it. This is my take on the whole thing.

Also, don't pull the "you speak english, some people don't" horsecake. If you have atleast half a brain you can learn the most basic phrases by the time you hit lvl 30. Not using them is choice, refusing to communicate is a bannable offense, so yeah. It's not about elitism, it's about common sense.
    Signature by Tacy :]

Deleted
    I don't mind it that my teammates speak another language if they work with the team, but sometimes the only time that they bother to speak is to curse at someone or call everyone except them "noob trololol". And it's tiresome if they can speak english but refuse it than that they speak broken english.

Personally, I flip when my teams speaks another language than I.
    It's a team game, and when we cannot communicate, it just ruins the whole experience.
    Perhaps riot should implement a "what language do you speak" feature, and match people according to that too.

10+ Year Old Account

...and so on.

I love the unnecessary hostility in this thread. It's not being elitist to say there should be an option for people to gather and play with people who speak the same first language as you. Did you ever think it could be annoying for French users who can't speak English to be forced to queue with primarily English speakers? Causes the exact same problem for them that the OP has experienced.

Personally it doesn't bother me when other players and I dont share a mutual language aslong as their capable of basic teamplay, i've played plenty of games with English speakers who dont actually say anything for 90% of the game and done fine. Failing to say some derivative of 'missing' isn't a problem caused by a language barrier but just the player themselves.

im not saying people that speak another language cant play the game im saying they should make a differents server so these people dont end up palying a match together then having the outsider be confused as hell.

Deleted
    Tbh, most of the ppl in soloQ ranked just insta ignores every1 if they're below 1400 ELO so why even bother with different servers.
    And to those who don't insta ignore ppl, please tell me how you cope with that? Seriously... 4 loses today and every single game there were flames or elitist pricks.

I do however agree with the fact that LoL is all about the teamwork. No speaky speaky, no winny winny.. That's it! It's very seldom you have a game where ppl don't speak and still own, but that's probs because the other team is even worse.

Deleted
    in all honesty, i really don't think it matters what language people speak. if your team has poor teamwork without speaking, i don't see anything changing if they can read what you write. they'll be 'bad' players either way and probably not even pay attention.

i find that the best games are the silent ones. the ones were everyone knows what they are doing and call important MIA/SS/etc (which you do not need to speak english to use). sure, games with 5 people who are communicating a lot seem easier, but that is most likely because you're just a better team and you would probably win regardless of what language you are all speaking.

i think that blaming non-english speaking players is just an easy get out clause for a bad game and fundamentally has very little to do with what language they speak. you would have probably lost either way because the other team was better.
    Last edited by mmoce6d6d6a277; 2012-03-20 at 12:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It only annoys me when they try to give me directions or throw around insults in their native language. I don't give two shits if you're communicating with a friend, but if you're going to tell me what to do, use your best possible English, and if you're going to insult me enjoy your ban. I just reported most of my team last game because they didn't even try to speak english. And I know for a fact at least one could because she told me what they were saying after I said "report team for not communicating" in /all chat. (coincidentally, she is the only one I didn't report)

If there was a way to que with just English (or Spanish, French, German, etc.) speakers I would like it. I see this as a problem though because depending on the server, you might have ridiculous que times as it tries to find 10 people who all speak Swahili. Also, I may never have met some of the players I've befriended if these restrictions were in place.