Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

What type of specs are you leaning towards for PVE and PVP?

I am going for a support warrior specced for nonstop swiftness with the runes that buff it to 40% make every ally near me run at top speeds.

I'd need to actually play the game before I can theorycraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    My main build for soloing PvE content is in my sig, click to see!

I'm probably going to play greatsword/mace+shield for my warrior for both pve and pvp. I have feeling that I'm probably going to be forced to play hammer to compete, which in that case I'll probably play thief instead. Inb4 "its designed to allow you to play how you want to" No. There is always a top tier specs and top tier classes.

I'm probably going to spec whatever I feel like playing at the moment tbh.

Want to set a forest of turrets on my Engineer? I'll do that today.
    Beat somebody to death with a wrench? Sounds great.
    Set up a minefield? Awesome.

I really don't plan to stick to one setup for long unless I REALLY fall in love with it after i get my hands on the game.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

Looking at using the rifle for my Engineer and putting points into dmg, range, blind on crits, etc. Other than that not really sure what will be the most effective, like the thought of having multiple kits to switch to for different situations.

Last edited by Fencers; 2012-03-21 at 01:33 AM.

I'll be mostly playing pvp with my ele I suspect...so I'll be switching attunements like a crazy mad asura depending on the needs of the situation
    So far...I'm thinking staff, but haven't completely decided yet.

dps/survival since im a pve player.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You like your signets.

It's so hard to decide, especially with every trait line being incomplete.

As a guardian I want to try a high mobility and damage spec, a damage and support spec, a damage and condition spec, and a defense and support spec. Control doesn't appeal to me very much, but my mind might be changed after I actually play.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    You like your signets.
    They make a lot of sense for Warriors who basically are reserving their 3rd resource.

Deleted
    I was thinking a dual dagger thief, focused on control and stealth, as well as burst from said stealth. Basically I want my opponent to feel that I'm always either behind him or stealthed and I want my reappearance to be accompanied by a huge pain.

I was thinking Deadly Arts for more venom and damage on conditions, Critical Strikes for extra crit chance from stealth and from behind (lol backstabs) and the rest I have no idea, since trickery and acrobatics are missing.

I have though of some basic builds for my PvE characters(havent thought of pvp yet until I see it):

a heavy tank/support Guardian. Mace/Shield + Hammer
    2 Builds for my ele: For soloing, Dagger/Dagger Air/Fire and for Groups Staff Fire/Water AoE damage and healing
    Greatsword + 1h sword/1hsword Warrior. Heavy reliance on crit and bleeding.
    Longbow + Undecided melee weapons Ranger. I like beast mastery, longbow focus, and maybe a few melee traits
    Rifle Engineer. Undecided build/kits - but I want a flamethrower [COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 06:00 AM ----------

Do you think you should move points from Discipline to Strength like this http://www.gw2tools.com/#t-w-kpaaked...aabVabaddYdWXZ
    Last edited by sethers656; 2012-03-21 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sethers656 View Post
    Do you think you should move points from Discipline to Strength like this http://www.gw2tools.com/#t-w-kpaaked...aabVabaddYdWXZ
    No. Conditions and crit multiplier would yield higher DPS than Power. Even assuming a 1:1 ratio of Precision to Power, only 1 trait line modifies the value of crit. And 2 modify the value of conditions for Warriors. If you had an equal amount of Power as Precision, the latter would win out.

Dual wielding swords should ensure nearly 100% bleed up-time. Which is the strongest damage condition a Warrior can apply and receives the most offensive synergy from 3 trait lines. With the largest pool of fury retention & throughput in the class specific line.

No. Conditions and crit multiplier would yield higher DPS than Power. Even assuming a 1:1 ratio of Precision to Power, only 1 trait line modifies the value of crit. And 2 modify the value of conditions for Warriors. If you had an equal amount of Power as Precision, the latter would win out.

Dual wielding swords should ensure nearly 100% bleed up-time. Which is the strongest damage condition a Warrior can apply and receives the most offensive synergy from 3 trait lines. With the largest pool of fury retention & throughput in the class specific line.
    Well are you sure that you will get a 100% bleed up time? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive bleed stacks in intensity now instead of duration, so the increased bleed duration might prove to be very useful. Also, even if you do have 100% uptime with the dual wielding swords, you probably wont with the Greatsword due to its much slower attackspeed.

Switching the points gets you more bleed duration and the Slashing Power trait that increases Greatsword. This, imo, will give a better balance between the 2 weapons because you will have to use both to get the full usage out of the warrior.

I could be totally wrong here, so please correct me if I am. It is nice to start theorycrafting over these builds though Also as a side note, do you think we are better leaving our adrenaline high or just using the adrenaline ability on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by sethers656 View Post
    Well are you sure that you will get a 100% bleed up time?
    Only as sure as the tools/info allow for currently. There isn't much more to go on.

That being said, keeping in mind we don't know everything yet; 3/5 skills with 2x swords apply bleeds. 1 of which has no CD. We have a 60% duration increase to bleed effects from 10/30 spread. Assuming we have a base crit chance of say 30% and 33% chance to apply another bleed per crit- the default attack with 2x swords guarantees a bleed every 2nd attack with a (speculative) 30% chance to apply another bleed stack by every 3rd swing.

An early build of the trait calc had the talent at 25% crit chance, but I am (again) not sure how accurate that will be on release or what the value with Precision stacked would parse out.

According to the Wiki there are 2 more traits which cause bleeds for warriors; 1 of which is only for swords. In any case, Bleed is the most effective condition you can apply. With the benefits of that condition triggering several other potential reactions.

I could be totally wrong here, so please correct me if I am. It is nice to start theorycrafting over these builds though Also as a side note, do you think we are better leaving our adrenaline high or just using the adrenaline ability on CD.
    You are only wrong in that I am not emphasizing the great sword. 2x swords are main instruments. Otherwise you would be correct where more Power and duration wins out over the 1-2 bleed effect and longer retention of 10S/30A/30D.

The issue with greatswords is that the wording is unclear what traits count as sword and greatsword. So I am simply not sure on what will work best. There isn't enough specifics and I didn't see any in-depth videos on this aspect.

On adrenaline; I think it's highly situational and might come down to stat weight. Axes seem more suited to frequent rage dump than the steady damage of swords. But more defensive builds might want to use rage more situational. And then it doesn't seem too big a deal with banners unless you start picking specif traits that influence spears and AOE damage.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-03-21 at 09:18 AM.

The issue with greatswords is that the wording is unclear what traits count as sword and greatsword. So I am simply not sure on what will work best. There isn't enough specifics and I didn't see any in-depth videos on this aspect.

On adrenaline; I think it's highly situational and might come down to stat weight. Axes seem more suited to frequent rage dump than the steady damage of swords. But more defensive builds might want to use rage more situational. And then it doesn't seem too big a deal with banners unless you start picking specif traits that influence spears and AOE damage.
    What seems to make sense to me is that when it says "Greatswords" it means 2h Greatswords and when it says "swords" it means 1h swords, but yeah I guess it could be interpreted differently. Overall, I really like what this build seems to be and I came up with something very similiar before seeing yours.

Although, I would rather my Greatsword be my "main weapon" if possibly, so I am probably going more into the Power and Duration aspect... not quite sure yet.

I think you are right about the adrenaline and how it will be fairly situational. I find the banners to be pretty boring and play a shaman in WoW for so long, I hate buffs that get planted into the ground. Even though I'm sure you can move the banners, it is still extra hassel. I think the signets work well with the build and the traits. I am doing a similmiar thing on my ele with a mostly Glyph build. I think the trait system with the -25% signet CD might be too strong just like the -20% glyph CD on an ele build.

There is no reason not to get all the signets because they all work well and it will make it such an optimal build giving us Precision, Power, Condition removal, and adrenaline along with other benefits. I cant wait till the next beta info gets released and we have more accurate traits to really dwelve into the builds more.

Well, the banners can be picked up once summoned and become spears in your hands. So I am assuming so of the traits that keyword Spears work for banner weapons as well. Banners can also be used as dumbfire AE. There are interesting uses for them, I hesitate to make a banner build because it seems to have a lot variables I not sure of yet- in spec and environment.

The AE potential of a greatsword seems pretty nice so I take it as a secondary weapon. I am not sold on the rooting from burst skill for greatswords. The kit seems more PVP useful than PVE. I don't ever PVP.

I'll be playing an Alchemy heavy engineer, using a rifle to get around with a bit of damage but primarily using the Med-Kit and Elixir gun for removing my allies conditions, giving them the means to heal themselves and just causing a bit of Elixir trouble to my enemies. I felt like being primarily support for my main this time around. I hope there are enough intelligent people around me to make it worthwhile.