Page 1 of 2
LastLast

buying Influence = evil ?

there is this big concern that you can buy "power" with real money.

people think it works like this:

1.) buy (with real money ) gems
    2.) trade them (with a player) for Ingame-Gold

3.) go to a vendor who sells Influence for Gold .

technically this is very possible BUT is it worth the effort?

you have to consider some important things, take a look at this:

let's say you want to buy "power" for WvW, in this case +40 Vitality:

-) first of all, the +40 Vitality is not for you and your friends alone, it improves the Vitality for ALL of your allies near your fort.
    -) this "power" needs to be researched, you don't get it instantly. In this case the research-time is 1 day.
    -) ...it costs 200
    -) according to the ingame vendor (at 1:49) this equals 2 .

from wiki:
    These upgrades take time to be constructed, ranging from hours to weeks, and only one can be constructed at a time, though it is possible to purchase an upgrade that allows two constructions at a time.

so a guild which want's to take a fort for themself and buy this upgrade only needs to accumulate 2 gold in one day. It is very likely that you REALLY don't have to use real money for that. You will earn gold in WvW from ingame activities. Players drop loot too.

I say: no need to worry!

Furthermore: a very important currency in WvW is "Supply". Yes, you can buy blueprints (for upgrades to your fort, siege-golems, etc.) for a small amount of ingame-gold, BUT you actually need "Supply" in order to build those. You gain supply for ingame-activities and most of the time you build something it is a group effort (you have a supply cap of 10).

PS:
    take a look how fast influence is gained WITHOUT gems (no gems in the last beta event)

a very important thing we need not forget:

after all this effort you put into buying all this upgrades, the upgrades which change your power (+power, +precision,...) are ONLY active in the proximity of your fort.

Quote Originally Posted by GW2 Wiki
    Guild bonuses Guilds may research bonuses and place them at an objective they have claimed. These bonuses will apply to any players from the same world who are in the vicinity of the objective.
    For 12 Hrs, any fortification held by your guild in World Vs World will give improved Power to all allies. Lasts 12 hours. 200 1 day
    For 12 Hrs, any fortification held by your guild in World Vs World will give improved Precision to all allies. Lasts 12 hours. 200 1 day

So go somewhere else on the map and you lose your influence-bonus. It's very likely that players are on the move most of the time, the power you buy only helps to defend a single fort. Take a look at how many forts there are on the WvW-map:

Last edited by Maarius; 2012-03-21 at 09:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    I say: no need to worry!
    Exactly.

The argument put forth by doom and gloomers is:
    "OMG buying gems means people won't have to spend 2 minutes killing mobs for gold to spend in WvW, it's an advantage"

Deleted
    Omg omg 40 toughtness-power-precition-etc boosts !!!!

Its similar to Flasks/Battle Elixir/Guardian Elixir , made by ur guild members in WoW raids

Yeah....the gold gained even from looting players in WvWvW will prob pay for a lot of stuff lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    Its similar to Flasks/Battle Elixir/Guardian Elixir , made by ur guild members in WoW raids
    not exactly:

-) Flasks don't give the buff to everyone in your proximity
    -) Flasks have to be bought and used from a single person, in GW2 it's a guild-effort

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 08:08 AM ----------

take a look how fast influence is gained WITHOUT gems (no gems in the last beta event)

you think the buff is really that bad? they are only going to get the buff if they have the central castle. when they have the castle, they will have 2 servers fighting against them.

Deleted
    Well , i would feel a little shock in a game , that gear that dont drammaticaly increase ur advantage , giving a buff that would be too strong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-TFPFnZ3o8
    At 00.49 > showing some 80 lvl weapons at the GC11/demo with 23 power each .
    6 month video < maybe many , have already changed since then

I really doubt they would bother putting in buff that costs so little and have such a long cooldown that it is never worth buying gems or whatever you buy it with. More than likely the costs are low for the beta so people can see what they do and to make sure they work correctly with a large amount of people using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    Well , i would feel a little shock in a game , that gear that dont drammaticaly increase ur advantage , giving a buff that would be too strong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-TFPFnZ3o8
    At 00.49 > showing some 80 lvl weapons at the GC11/demo with 23 power each .
    6 month video < maybe many , have already changed since then
    I could be wrong but I think that is only a jewel in the weapons. Probably for the sake of time everything for the demos was fitted/adjusted without player input, here is a jewel on the wiki though it doesn't say it fits into weapons http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Perfect_Ruby_Jewel. Also an example of a weapon sigil http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sigi...rior_Bloodlust. As you said it is likely to have changed since then.

a very important thing we need not forget:

after all this effort you put into buying all this upgrades, the upgrades which change your power (+power, +precision,...) are ONLY active in the proximity of your fort.

Quote Originally Posted by GW2-Wiki
    Guild bonuses Guilds may research bonuses and place them at an objective they have claimed. These bonuses will apply to any players from the same world who are in the vicinity of the objective.
    For 12 Hrs, any fortification held by your guild in World Vs World will give improved Power to all allies. Lasts 12 hours. 200 1 day
    For 12 Hrs, any fortification held by your guild in World Vs World will give improved Precision to all allies. Lasts 12 hours. 200 1 day

So go somewhere else on the map and you lose your influence-bonus. It's very likely that players are on the move most of the time, the power you buy only helps to defend a single fort. Take a look at how many forts there are on the WvW-map:

Last edited by Maarius; 2012-03-21 at 09:57 AM.

Deleted
    Thx for the info m8

Deleted
    Good read, solid post. *applaud

If there still would be any backdoor to acquire an advantage through gems, I think we would see aNet fix it really soon. So I'm not worried that we will see unfair advantages through gems.

Deleted
    Thats a nice thread you have there

Deleted
    Acording with that print an active guild can get enought influence in W vs. W without the need to buy with gold.

Deleted
    People should just learn to trust Anet on this, infact all issues concerning supposed Pay2Win concerns. If infact some players do work out a way to tip the balance of the game using real money. Anet will probably make some adjustments on durations and potential returns gained from paid for buffs.

I have no issues with the cash shop, the game so far from what Ive seen is still very much a play2win set up.

While I can accept it just because it's guild wars 2 I'd prefer the game to be without it.

Good and Evil are merely subjective terms.

Also, if I may throw in my 2 cents, the prices will most likely change come release. The prices for things tend to be a bit lower on beta so people can actually use it. Now of course you can say "well why didn't they just make it free?" They most likely just lowered the price based on the current level cap of the beta. Will have to see if the prices stay the same at 80 or whether they will change come retail.

Guilds getting influence for having guild members online?

This, is, great!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Guilds getting influence for having guild members online?
    I wonder how that is going to work with being in multiple guilds but only representing one at a time. Potential social drama?

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    I wonder how that is going to work with being in multiple guilds but only representing one at a time. Potential social drama?
    As it's only for WvWvW can't seeing it a big deal. I doubt I'll be a member of that many guilds on my home server that will care about pvp to such an extant that it will make an issue. I only see hardcore pvp guilds making it a requirement, and can't see belonging to more than 1.

Alliances will certainly use it to their advantage though, spread member guilds or whatever across forts to get bonuses.