Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What is RP Server?

Greetings, I've always wondered what the term RP server really meant, I've never tried of playing on a Rp server but it actually seems to be fun. I've always enjoyed to communicate with people with good fantasy. So it would be really helpfull if you could explain that to me.

Sry for my English, it is'nt that good.

Last edited by mmoc013e510fff; 2012-03-21 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Grammar

Deleted
    roleplaying.

stay away from those servers. as far as possible.
    if you have to go there (only when lives depend on it) then DON'T GO TO GOLDSHIRE!

K serious now, go make an alt and run around to see what it is but beware, wierd stuff happens on RP servers...

10+ Year Old Account
    Instead of thinking of your character as a toon in a game, think of him/her as a person.

Where are you from? What do prefer to eat? Are you religious? Why did you end up as [your class]? Where do you stand politically? etc. Answer all of these questions, roll the toon, and just think of Azeroth as a stage, where everyone tries to win an Oscar.

Sadly, several of the RP-realms here in Europe have been degraded to Normal realms with a few extra rules. That's it. But check out the different realm forums, and maybe you'll find one! Besides, if you don't like it, just set up a "death" (lv10 being so angry at Vanessa VanCleef for killing your goldfish that you try soloing the place. "Ohhh, noooooo! He didn't survive! =(")
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Deleted
    RP servers ?

- Well, a bunch of nutcrackers who havent yet realized that this aint Dungeons and Dragons!

Mod edit: No. Infracted.
    Last edited by The Madgod; 2012-03-21 at 12:05 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Instead of thinking of your character as a toon in a game, think of him/her as a person.

Where are you from? What do prefer to eat? Are you religious? Why did you end up as [your class]? Where do you stand politically? etc. Answer all of these questions, roll the toon, and just think of Azeroth as a stage, where everyone tries to win an Oscar.

Sadly, several of the RP-realms here in Europe have been degraded to Normal realms with a few extra rules. That's it. But check out the different realm forums, and maybe you'll find one! Besides, if you don't like it, just set up a "death" (lv10 being so angry at Vanessa VanCleef for killing your goldfish that you try soloing the place. "Ohhh, noooooo! He didn't survive! =(")
    Sounds intressting, does every player follow the rules? Well ofc not, but the majority of the players? If so, I might actually make a toon there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanju View Post
    Sounds intressting, does every player follow the rules? Well ofc not, but the majority of the players? If so, I might actually make a toon there.
    Like I said, some servers play by the RP-rules, others are just "normal" servers for all intents and purposes. My own homebase of Earthen Ring is the latter, even though you still find SOME (not many, but they're there) decent RPers on Alli side. You'll be better off just checking out the servers yourself.

As for RP-rules, they really are simple: Always talk IC (In Character), even in whisper and all public channels (gchat varies by guild), there is no powerlevelling for RP purposes. Your character progresses when his/her storyline allows you to. Avoid using major lore figures ("Yeah, Garrosh forged this staff for me after I taught him to read!"), and at least TRY to look good

Oh, and when in doubt: Do whatever everybody else is doing. Or what your toon would have done.

Edit: If you want someone to discuss stuff with, PM me and we'll chat on Skype or smth! RP can be scary at first, but damn rewarding when you get into it
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Like I said, some servers play by the RP-rules, others are just "normal" servers for all intents and purposes. My own homebase of Earthen Ring is the latter, even though you still find SOME (not many, but they're there) decent RPers on Alli side. You'll be better off just checking out the servers yourself.

As for RP-rules, they really are simple: Always talk IC (In Character), even in whisper and all public channels (gchat varies by guild), there is no powerlevelling for RP purposes. Your character progresses when his/her storyline allows you to. Avoid using major lore figures ("Yeah, Garrosh forged this staff for me after I taught him to read!"), and at least TRY to look good

Oh, and when in doubt: Do whatever everybody else is doing. Or what your toon would have done.

Edit: If you want someone to discuss stuff with, PM me and we'll chat on Skype or smth! RP can be scary at first, but damn rewarding when you get into it

this ^^
    its pretty fun to play if u wanna relax and if u aren't a ultra-progress-type player, instances and raids are mostly for fun with talking n stuff

Our stickies here provide a great deal of the basic information you need in order to roleplay properly. The servers have other rules in them too. They are also generally less forgiving of stretching the lore, so try and be conservative with your creativity in that regard. I'd say that RPing here on the forums is a lot more casual, and personally, a lot more fun

i may just make an alt for a rp server never even been to one

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    The servers have other rules in them too. They are also generally less forgiving of stretching the lore, so try and be conservative with your creativity in that regard.
    Beware the Argent Dawn Roleplay Police; all I can say is that you have an imagination, they'll come after you like the Gestapo.

Deleted
    The only thing I've ever tried on a RP server was to create a guild for my troll, I named it "Britney Spear Trolls" and was looking for members... they weren't that amused about my actions.

Other than that, RP servers are definitely not my world. For me it only looks like a world full of censorship.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanju View Post
    Greetings, I've always wondered what the term RP server really meant, I've never tried of playing on a Rp server but it actually seems to be fun. I've always enjoyed to communicate with people with good fantasy. So it would be really helpfull if you could explain that to me.

Sry for my English, it is'nt that good

Lol make a Lvl 1 human with a mildly naughty name and go to goldshire.. There you will experience RP servers in their full glory. But don's say I didn't warn you. If cybering with 300lb dudes is your thing, RP servers are the place for you. Moon Guard is a particularly nasty realm if you are interested.

Please refrain from spreading misinformation. Goldshire is not a good representation of roleplaying servers in general.

I never said it was a "good representation" I said that as a level 1 starting out on a RP server it is generally the first "RP" you see. I fail to see the "misinformation" clarify please.
    Last edited by Bremmon; 2012-03-25 at 10:13 PM.
    "You take 4,994,468 boredom damage from daily quests.... You have died."

Quote Originally Posted by Bremmon View Post
    Lol make a Lvl 1 human with a mildly naughty name and go to goldshire.. There you will experience RP servers in their full glory. But don's say I didn't warn you. If cybering with 300lb dudes is your thing, RP servers are the place for you. Moon Guard is a particularly nasty realm if you are interested.
    Meh, that's like judging the entirety of WoW on the people you see on the forums. There are RPers like that, of course, but you have to remember two things.

A: There are people who just roll on RP servers to troll RPers

B: There are people who roll on RP servers to just cyber.

Neither of which are typically looked upon in a positive manner by the majority of the community. I mean, I have RPed for a few years, never cybered, and 90% of the people I interacted with never cybered. I see people who do cyber on occasion, but I don't really chat with them.

Warnings are one thing, but saying that cybering is all there is on an RP server, you would be woefully wrong.

Generally though, on an RP server, I would definitely say check out the server forums and see if they have any posts, usually while I dislike looking at server forums, you can typically find somebody to contact to talk with RP community members and the like and get some advice. Some RP servers are a bit more cliquish and it's best to find somebody in the know to find some RP heh.
    Last edited by Requiemcliff; 2012-03-25 at 06:17 PM.

Deleted
    lol I created a lvl 1 on a random RP server, and went to goldshire...
    I never laughed so much since I own this game, looks like a fun place... all kind of weird things happenin' there, naughty ones included :-]

Are there more such places? Where is the horde place?

10+ Year Old Account
    Goldshire is the hotspot for Alliance ERP, Silvermoon generally is for the Horde, I'm not sure where exactly in the city though.

But, as Requiemcliff said, ERP is not the entirety- or even the majority- of RP. You shouldn't take ERP'ers/cyber'ers as a representation of the rest of us.
    The Light does not abandon its champions...

~My RP Characters~

RP is something that is rarely picked up but I enjoy it greatly.
    It is just living out your characters life in WoW and talking to other characters as your character. Some think it is really hard, but thats only if you start putting to much effort in thinking about it, all you need to do at first... is just pretend you are your character on screen... and do actions that you would do if put inside the game (Besides scream, run around like a chicken with your head cut off, and cry about how you can only feel your face in 2D). It is a really simple and fun to play around with concept that is looked down on by PvPers (mainly since the majority have no concept of lore) or PvEers due to the stigma of ERP which is only done by children or old people who just cant get it in IRL (in real life).

Deleted
    RP hasnt worked much for WoW to be honest, they should introduce more animations/vids and make the world more dynamic if they want it to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    roleplaying.

stay away from those servers. as far as possible.
    if you have to go there (only when lives depend on it) then DON'T GO TO GOLDSHIRE!

K serious now, go make an alt and run around to see what it is but beware, wierd stuff happens on RP servers...
    lol the goldshire inn on moonguard is such a filthy whorehouse.

RP is roleplaying. You "act" and live the life of your toon. Stay away from Moonguard US.

RP can be the greatest thing ever, or the worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnn View Post
    I started playing the game when I was 11 during BC. I actually discovered jacking off and came for the first time during a Gruul's Lair raid with my guild!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremmon View Post

Please refrain from spreading misinformation. Goldshire is not a good representation of roleplaying servers in general.

I never said it was a "good representation" I said that as a level 1 starting out on a RP server it is generally the first "RP" you see. I fail to see the "misinformation" clarify please.
    "RP servers in their full glory"
    "Cybering with 300 lb dudes is your thing, RP servers are the place for you"

That sounds like incredible misinformation. It's akin to a non-WoW player saying all WoW players are fat, greasy nerds.