Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

Using the word "dude" talking to girls.

So I got to thinking about this the other day. I took a trip to the US a while ago, stayed for quite some time. Hung out with american friends of both genders. Everybody seemed to use the word "dude" freely to friends no matter the gender. The other day I was talking to people in vent, a girl said something and I responded with "totally, dude" in my wannabe american way. She said "I'm not a dude, dude!" and we got into a discussion on this topic, I said I got the impression that "dude" can be used regardless of genders, and she said that she's never been referred to as a "dude". Now, she's from England so that might differ. What's your view on the matter? I see "dude" more like an extension like "sure, friend" than referring to the fact the person you're talking to is a man.

Deleted
    It's basically the same as saying 'come on, man!' You're not addressing the gender, it's simply an exclamatory addition that doesn't mean anything.

Deleted
    According to the "trustworthy" wikipedia it's evolved and can be used for both females and males.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dude

I use it for both myself and I have been for a long time. Although, if it's someone I like I prefer to use their name when addressing them.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's got its own wikipedia page. That is amazing, lol.

Deleted
    Obviously the female gamer would start an argument over that
    She is wrong, the word started off behind directed at males (surfers at that) and now it can be used for both genders
    Moreso, she is british so that word doesn`t exist in the british isles, she is just complaining for the sake of it, like most girl gamers do

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 10:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Merrlin View Post
    The term you should be using is 'Dudette'.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tTI1bBI0ru...u-Reeves-1.jpg
    he lol`ed
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-03-21 at 02:34 PM.

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a phenomenon called semantic shift. Semantic shift occurs when a word is re-analyzed from a context within which it is used and given a new meaning derived from the original one. "Dude" started as being used to refer to a male but now it is used to address a person you are speaking to.

Otherwise what are your options?

C'mon, girl!
    C'mon, friend!
    C'mon!

They all sound either lame or dry, so "dude" works best :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrlin View Post
    I tried 'Footstool' once. She was NOT amused =(
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    There's a phenomenon called semantic shift. Semantic shift occurs when a word is re-analyzed from a context within which it is used and given a new meaning derived from the original one. "Dude" started as being used to refer to a male but now it is used to address a person you are speaking to.

Otherwise what are your options?

C'mon, girl!
    C'mon, friend!
    C'mon!

They all sound either lame or dry, so "dude" works best :P
    This is my thoughts on the matter. There is no good alternative to "dude". "girl" or "dudette" (lol) sounds weird. I'm more accepting of the extension "friend" as I watch a lot of Yogscast, where it's used quite frequently.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    I tried 'Footstool' once. She was NOT amused =(
    Please just tell her that i am now very amused. ;D :L

dude is used in Australia for all genders.. As is the word Mate.

Deleted
    Normally when people decide to use the ''dude'' word about/to me, i correct them with : Its not dude, its dudess !

Deleted
    How do you pronounce dudette? O.O

du-dette?

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Excessive use of dude/man/mate/bro/etc is one of my biggest pet peeves, lol. But yes, they tend to be used for any gender. At least in North America anyway.

Deleted
    Dudette sound french to me, see "baguette" and all those words with the suffix "ette"

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by winkies View Post
    Dudette sound french to me, see "baguette" and all those words with the suffix "ette"
    Like 25% of the English language is taken directly from French. Just sayin. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I call girls dude all the time here i's understood it's non-gnder in the UK I'm not sure how often you guys say dude so I can't say.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaidu View Post
    dude is used in Australia for all genders.. As is the word Mate.
    I never use the word dude so I can't comment on that usage but a few years ago I met a women in her late 20's and called her mate and she got really really offended that i'd treat her as a male.

Still baffles me to this day.

Deleted
    I have witnessed this among our Erasmus students and thought that it is fairly weird. Don't think I could ever get used to it but who knows... I do accept "common you guys" as "you people", not "you fellas" so I am halfway there!

Quote Originally Posted by winkies View Post
    "ette" is a suffix used to make a word feminine in an artificial manner (ie not usually "proper"). Like "warriorette" would imply a female warrior, even if the word isn't "real" (and already gender neutral).