Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I wouldn't wana be called a nomadic people of middle eastern Asia
    You made me laugh my ass off ;d

I like to use Daud for girls. From a female infamous druid back in the old wow days.... fun times! Her name had daud inn it.

Dude is short for dudette, didn't you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawci View Post
    That day is today if they're not the "alpha-male" type of guys who take offence at anything that they don't consider "manly". I greet my friends with "Ladies." quite often when there's already a group of them when I arrive.

Ontopic: Yes, dude can be used for either gender, I use it a lot. Same with "man", as in "Aw man, last night was fuckin' epic."
    Any time I've heard someone call a group of guys, "Ladies", they were using the term as a stereotypical insult. Hence why the user you quoted said he would get his ass-kicked for saying it. Unless they were your friends at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Any time I've heard someone call a group of guys, "Ladies", they were using the term as a stereotypical insult. Hence why the user you quoted said he would get his ass-kicked for saying it. Unless they were your friends at least.
    Eh, I tend not to associate myself with people who'd actually take offense to it anyways. That'll be why I don't get hit for it. That and I've usually got a smile or grin going and an expression that suggests I'm not serious. :P

Deleted
    I use it for anyone, never had anyone react that way to it and most of my friends are girls.

Imo there's nothing wrong with using "dude" for both genders. It may be a bit weird in a non-NA culture but at the end of the day a female who seriously takes offense to being called a "dude" probably uses her gender to get certain benefits from males anyway and thus doesn't like it when being put on the same level. That kind of thing is a disgrace to the rest of us.

i usually use slutbag or skeezball, but i guess dude works

Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    Obviously the female gamer would start an argument over that
    She is wrong, the word started off behind directed at males (surfers at that) and now it can be used for both genders
    Moreso, she is british so that word doesn`t exist in the british isles, she is just complaining for the sake of it, like most girl gamers do
    The word actually started off as an insult towards urban people by farmers/ranchers in the late 1800s. It wasn't used by surfers until the 1960s. It is still used this way geographically in some areas of the United States. Hence the line in The Big Lebowski "Now, 'Dude' - that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from."

10+ Year Old Account
    i say guys when im talking to a group of people because to me the only alternative is guys and gals and thats a little awkward
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

In my country girls find it nerdy if boys say 'dude' to the girls and vise versa.. Nerdy is cute according to some girls.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use the word dude in reference to buddy or pal, and it is replaced by "man" on some occasions. Not a gender issue, more of a quick one syllable word used for exclamation (used more often if a name is unknown).

I don't use it often but when I think of when it is used I think of the following scenarios:

Hey dude, what's up? - I'd use this if I was talking to a friend and saying hi. Syn: friend, bud

Did you see what that dude did over there? - I'd use this if I was talking about a man I saw do something. Syn: Guy

Dude! That is so messed up! - I'd use this if I saw something that was sick, amazing, etc. Kind of impress or surprised. This one could be used with other genders to me because you are not referencing a person but more a feeling I guess?

Just my take on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    WE'RE ALL DUDES!!!

“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Deleted
    I think it is pretty insulting if someone called me a "dude" :P I know there are situations where it is not but just imagine this..

"did you hear that Jack's girlfriend is a dude?!". I think it's kinda like the N-word in that sense, it's not insulting when used in a certain group but with random people or even some friends it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    I think it is pretty insulting if someone called me a "dude" :P I know there are situations where it is not but just imagine this..

"did you hear that Jack's girlfriend is a dude?!". I think it's kinda like the N-word in that sense, it's not insulting when used in a certain group but with random people or even some friends it is.
    This this context you use it as dude means man. If the person really is a man, how is that insulting if it is true? I would not walk up to the person and say "Hey, I heard you are a dude." You are using a synonym, just like chick is a synonym for girl. I do not necessarily use these, keep in mind just using them as examples since many people use them in open public and do not get offended by the uses or also use it themselves.

If you are called the wrong version, I can see someone getting mad. If someone called me a chick or a woman gets called a dude. I only use those if I know the people I am talking to, so I do agree it is used with friends and people you know.

10+ Year Old Account

You're seriously comparing the word Dude to the "N Word"

“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

I call my bestfriend dude, or my sister, I just happen to do it, never think about it really.

I don't even know what I'm reading.. what..

10+ Year Old Account
    I use the word dude when talking to girls sporadically, even to my teachers (ones I'm cool with of course) sometimes. I think of the word being unisex but leaning to a boyish side more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post

Saying 'she's just complaining like most girl gamers do' though... Yeeaahh, might want to re-evaluate that position.
    He meant to say all.

But really, its gender neutral.