Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Guild Wars 2 apprehensions.

I'm pretty interested in this game, as the playstyle looks unique, and the story, races, and graphics seem top notch. The only issue that is leading me to believe I will not like Guild Wars 2 is the fact that I have nearly no interest in PvP. I've done PvP in multiple MMO's and it just doesn't do anything for me. Don't get me wrong, I think what they've said about WvWvW so far is pretty damn cool, but do you folks feel there will be enough things in the game to keep me happy, OR do you feel the PvP will be just that damn awesome that I'll happily embrace it?

I think you will like it but there's tons of other reasons the buy the game

Frankly, both. I'm not much of a PvPer, but WvW looks amazing. Even without WvW, there's going to be a ton of stuff to do in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

ArenaNet has said there's been quite a few people that don't care about PvP, but they've loved WvW.

There will be 1500+ dynamic events at launch, several dungeons, big dragon fights, skill challenges, a personal story line, mini-dungeons, and activities, so I think you could easily occupy all your time on just PvE content.

It sounds like you're already pretty interested in WvW though, so there's a chance that you'll like it. I think it'll be such a different experience from what people are use to, but I mean that in a very good way.

You can always try WvW if you get into a beta too.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-21 at 12:55 PM.

I was gonna come in and write loads of stuff that will interest you besides pvp...but there's not much else on top of what grandpab said lol.
    Maybe Hearts, all the Treasure Hunt explorations and the fact that 1/4 of the game apparently happens underwater are also things of interest for you

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    I was gonna come in and write loads of stuff that will interest you besides pvp...but there's not much else on top of what grandpab said lol.
    Maybe Hearts, all the Treasure Hunt explorations and the fact that 1/4 of the game apparently happens underwater are also things of interest for you
    lol, I forgot skill challenges but it's added to my post now...I can't really think of anything else though

There is alot to the PVE side of the game. It is worth 60$.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it odd that people feel this is going to be primarily a PvP game, I mean, Guild Wars 2 was built from the ground up with PvP in mind, but if that's all they gave a shit about they could have just made a MOBA and released this shit like 3 years ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    If you really love PvE like me, Id suggest getting the 3day headstart. The way dynamic events work, Im personaly paying to see the events as close to default starting positions, just so I can run through the game again later and see how much has changed in each zone.

Dont get me wrong I love PvP too, its safe to assume PvP will be slower. With less nuking due to gear differences. Try not to let your concerns stop you from buying the game. Remember you dont have to pay a sub, so dropping in and out over the games life wont put you out of pocket.

For what it's worth, Calmsea, I'm not much of a PvP'er myself - I've always concentrated and enjoyed PvE purely in games I've played and am playing. I feel this game will be well worth it even if you never touch PvP at all - it is with that intent that I have been following and looking forward to this game.

When I say I'm not much into PvP, allow me to explain - I'm definitely not one to go 1v1, or even 5v5 into Arena type PvP. That said, I did dabble a bit in Wintergrasp in World of Warcraft, and did enjoy the "big scale" group PvP there - and from all I hear of WvWvW, and despite not being keen on PvP, that has me very interested as well. If WvWvW works out the way I hope and to what I'm seeing, I can easily see myself popping in there on a regular basis - to me, yes, whilst it's PvP, it's more like a PvE battle, except with other people playing the "NPC's" - if you follow my meaning.

Ok sorry big Guild Wars noob here, but what is "WvWvW"?
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiya View Post
    Ok sorry big Guild Wars noob here, but what is "WvWvW"?
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

Deleted
    There will be plenty of pve content to do, people that think that this is mainly a pvp game havent read up on things enough

Ahhh ok thanks
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiya View Post
    Ahhh ok thanks
    Check out the mass info sticky at the top of the forum Best fasten ur jaw though.
    God.....that makes me sound like such a fanboi.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    I'm pretty interested in this game, as the playstyle looks unique, and the story, races, and graphics seem top notch. The only issue that is leading me to believe I will not like Guild Wars 2 is the fact that I have nearly no interest in PvP. I've done PvP in multiple MMO's and it just doesn't do anything for me. Don't get me wrong, I think what they've said about WvWvW so far is pretty damn cool, but do you folks feel there will be enough things in the game to keep me happy, OR do you feel the PvP will be just that damn awesome that I'll happily embrace it?
    GW2 has a shitload of PVE content. The problem is you think that PVE = instanced boss fights, when it actually means Player Versus Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    lol, I forgot skill challenges but it's added to my post now...I can't really think of anything else though
    Yh...but there's still bound to be a ton of stuff we've just forgotten lol/don't know about yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    God.....that makes me sound like such a fanboi.....
    I find it hard not to be if you take the time to see everything ArenaNet is doing. lol

I got 2 friends interested in the game just by talking to them, one of them all I had to do was mention WvW being similar to RvR since he's a big DAoC fan. The other friend just recently started playing WoW again (I refuse to support WoW) but anyway, none of the people in our guild had any interest in GW2. He's been talking to people in guild chat though and so far he's convinced about 5-6 people to buy it for sure. It started with just me and now we're up to about 9 people (between rl friends and game friends) and last night we started talking about what our guild name was gonna be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    GW2 has a shitload of PVE content. The problem is you think that PVE = instanced boss fights, when it actually means Player Versus Environment.
    I wasn't aware that I had any problem...
    Nowhere in my initial post do I even mention the term "PvE", boss fights, instances, or raiding.

Back to the matters at hand; I'm liking what a lot of what you guys are saying. I've looked around at some random videos online and read class and race info on the official site, but there seems to be so much information out there but I don't know where to obtain it. It is definitely my experience that official sites for upcoming games usually have the least amount of interesting info, so clue me in on where to get the good stuff! I'll be checking out that sticky mentioned in this thread shortly! In particular, where can I find info about what kind of player against monster things there are to do (or PvE if you prefer)? I enjoy playing against NPC's and co-op play more than PvP because PvP seems to be more about who is the fastest with their mouse and keyboard and has abilities burned into their DNA, rather than the more strategic aspect of PvE. PvP is more unpredictable, which some may say is more realistic. I also find MMO PvP culture (the way a lot of players, especially younger ones talk and act) completely obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    Back to the matters at hand; snip
    Have you looked into the dynamic events very much yet? The video quality for this video is pretty bad, but it explains them some of the basic concepts of them, and it also talks about cross profession combos a little bit, as well as the home instance and your personal story.

This video shows some of the better combat you'll be able to find. From about 3:20 to 4:00 he's all by himself and he dodges every attack the mob goes for, and that's basically what the combat is all about.

The Yogscast spotlights are pretty good if you want to see some previews of all the professions.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-21 at 02:22 PM.