Thread: Healing in Rift

Healing in Rift

Could someone enlighten me on healing in Rift? I am seriously considering playing this game and I just want to know what healing classes there are and what the differences are. Are healers appreciated in this game or is it like most MMOs where it's a thankless job? I love healing, but I would also love finding a game whose players actually appreciate the healers.

Thanks.

There are 4 healing "souls" (aka specs) in this game. 3 cleric, 1 mage. The cleric healing souls are Sentinel, Purifier, and Warden. The mage healing soul is Chloromancer. There's also a semi-healing rogue soul, which is Bard, but that's more support.

Sentinel is a lot like a holy priest, in my limited experience with it. Purifier reminds me of discipline priest, as it has a few shields. Warden is a HoT spec, similar to the druid. As for Chloromancer, it heals by dealing damage, and also heals when others do damage (radiant spores has a chance to heal for the amount of damage the attacker does to the target of radiant spores). They also have a few direct healing spells.
    As for bard, I can't really comment as I haven't played one for very long.

Personally, I like the chloromancer, and it's pretty neat that a mage can heal. But, I will let Tarien or someone else who has more experience with the healing souls give you a better description that would be more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by krymefighter View Post
    Could someone enlighten me on healing in Rift? I am seriously considering playing this game and I just want to know what healing classes there are and what the differences are. Are healers appreciated in this game or is it like most MMOs where it's a thankless job? I love healing, but I would also love finding a game whose players actually appreciate the healers.
    There are two healing classes, mages and clerics.

Mages heal via DPS, a % of their healing is converted to healing and the class is extremely fun to play. The can be tank or group healers. The only downside is that in PvP their healing is lacking at the moment, though that is in the process of being addressed.

Clerics have a number of healing souls (talent tree's), these range from direct heals, HoT tree's, shields and passive AoE heals. Clerics are very versatile healers, and currently they are OP in PvP as healers, but again that is being addressed for the next patch.

The healing interface is somewhat like Grid or Vuhdo in WoW by default, though less flexible and customisable. You can create /cast @mouseoverui macro's to use the interface to great effect.

Players also spec into 11pt Justicar (the Cleric tanking tree) because it provides amazing burst AoE healing.

I've enjoyed healing on both my Mage in which I've healed every raid encounter in the game and on my Cleric which has only done 5 mans.

Cleric is essentially your standard healer you'd expect in any mmo. Chloromancer is a different concept and really plays like a DPS class in that the more damage you put out the more healing you do.

My raiding experience has always been full of very good healers who know their stuff and don't mess up often, I love them for it.
    Good healers are valued though it is important to note that almost every healer will be called to DPS at some point in their life, flexibility in playstyle is the name of the game in Rift.

Deleted
    Just a quick summary of classes that can heal in rift and specs( souls ) they have

Cleric:
    Warden- Very HOT orientated, lots of throwing around HOTs with some strong AOE healing cooldowns very similar to a Restoration Druid in WOW

Sentinel- Similar a Holy Priest or Holy Paladin in WOW, Cast time oriented heals mainly, fairly strong AOE healer

Purifier- This soul is pretty much made intentionally for pure Single Target ( tank usually ) healing , it focuses on long cast Single Target heals with lots of shielding (a tad like a disc priest in WOW )

Justicar- 11 Points in this tree provides you with the ability to AOE heal while also dealing damage, this can be combined with any of the dps souls to make a hybrid spec which are very often used in raids ( Inquistor / Cabalist / Shaman are the most Common ) these specs are often reffered to or abbreviated as -Icar specs ( so for example Inquistor + 11 Justicar = Inquisicar )

Just a reminder that the soul system in rift is extremley flexible and allows you to merge the best parts of certain souls for example of my cleric healer one of the specs i mainly play in raids is a mixture of both Sentinel and Warden

Mage:
    Chloromancer - For Mage 51 Chloromancer is the only 'Viable' all around healing spec for a raiding ,The Mechanics a chloromancer uses is they convert a % of their damage done into healing on the raid, they also have some other healing tools for when targets are not available to damage, Chloromancer's have to switch between 2 "Viels" to manage their healing , One of these Viels converts the majority damage done into healing on the tank while healing a bit on the raid , and the Other Viel just focuses on raid healing

Final Note : Like any other game it really depends on the people that your with to get appreicated or not and the scenario your in , For example in a Dungeon i probably wouldnt give a personal thank you to the healer as they have signed for that role and are expected to do it , Where as in a Warfront if i see a outstanding healer i would extend my gratitude out to him/her for taking the time to keep me and my team mates alive, rather than go dps and "Wreak Havoc" so to speak

Anyways Hope it helped =)
    Last edited by mmoc318c19303a; 2012-03-21 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatin View Post
    Mage:
    Chloromancer - For Mage 51 Chloromancer is the only 'Viable' all around healing spec for a raiding ,The Mechanics a chloromancer uses is they convert a % of their damage done into healing on the raid, they also have some other healing tools for when targets are not available to damage, Chloromancer's have to switch between 2 "Viels" to manage their healing , One of these Viels converts the majority damage done into healing on the tank while healing a bit on the raid , and the Other Viel just focuses on raid healing
    Actually there are two viable raiding specs, 51pt Chloro (with the remaining points in Warlock or Dominator), and 36/30 Chloro/Lock which is actually the highest AoE healing spec and does around 500dps more (gear dependant).

Taking the healing Mage spec early levels (up until 26ish+?) can be quite a painful if you inted to do dungeons. Tanks tend to be way more squishy and at lower levels Chloro can be weak/slow. That's my personal experience tho, maybe I suck at it, or maybe the tanks I grouped with suck.

Deleted
    Id have to disagree with you there we did some heavy testing on it and 51 pt chloro > 36/30 ,this is due to the fact that the healing provided by chloromancer is somewhat "Blanket" healing ,51 Pt chloro with void life is chucking out a heal every second , where as 36/30 in a raid enviroment is doing a ever so slightly larger heal every 1.8 seconds due to the cast time on vile spores, therefore since void life is ticking a lot faster it actually ends up healing more efficently in 99% of fights, where as a lot of 36/30 healing falls into overhealing and is therefore wasted

And also its more along the lines of 200/300 dps more than 500

Nearly all Chloro healing is overhealing.
    If you looked at Veev's first solo heal of Sicaron he had 81% overhealing. Most fights are more than that.
    That itself is proof that the amount of overhealing a chloro spec does is irrelevant.

Void Life doesn't beat Vile Spores because it is more efficient, it beats it because it gets the first heal out faster (extra 0.8s + Vile Spores travel time faster) and doesn't suffer pushback when casting.

The difference is a lot higher if you start weaving in Void Bolts when healing isn't required, 51 Chloro can't do that anywhere near as effectively.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Nearly all Chloro healing is overhealing.
    If you looked at Veev's first solo heal of Sicaron he had 81% overhealing. Most fights are more than that.
    That itself is proof that the amount of overhealing a chloro spec does is irrelevant.
    Your very right, most fights dont have a large amount of consistant AOE healing so most chloro healing is wasted im just trying to say that a with 36/30 the Healing that is being done isnt being allocated nearly as efficently as 51 chloro because of the longer cast times + travel time

Void Life doesn't beat Vile Spores because it is more efficient, it beats it because it gets the first heal out faster (extra 0.8s + Vile Spores travel time faster) and doesn't suffer pushback when casting.
    By getting the first heal out faster and not having a travel time thats what i meant by "More Efficent"

The difference is a lot higher if you start weaving in Void Bolts when healing isn't required, 51 Chloro can't do that anywhere near as effectively.
    mmmmm, in my opinion if you want someone who is not "Constantly" healing and just saving your healing for a 'Heavy AOE damage situation' your much much better off using some sort of -Icar Cleric

Just a note: There's currently a mod being developed called Rift healer. It works very similarly to healbot. It's in it's early stages, so it's a bit buggy and uses a lot of memory currently, but a few iterations down the line it could become a very decent mod for those who don't have room in their limited macro slots for all the mouse over macros required to heal!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

Chloromancer is the only healer you need to know about, but jokes aside they are seriously fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatin View Post
    mmmmm, in my opinion if you want someone who is not "Constantly" healing and just saving your healing for a 'Heavy AOE damage situation' your much much better off using some sort of -Icar Cleric
    Generally yes, unless there's only 1 Chloromancer, in which case Radiant Spores far outweighs the benefits of an -icar