1. #501
    Quote Originally Posted by imbanane View Post
    I would be interested how you guys control your incoming stagger damage?

    Do you use an addon to show the stagger dmg separately or any other tool to help you purifying at the right moment or are you orienting yourself more on the boss animations/hits
    I played around with weak auras but
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...masterTao.html
    I like this much more...used it on beta and its nice to actually see the actual numbers.
    ICD of ps is nice too.

  2. #502
    Deleted
    One thing regarding the Alchemy professions. I want to gather the mats before MoP lands but I saw a blue post saying that the way you skill up alchemy will change when MoP lands.
    Do you guys know if the guide on wow-professions is up to date with this new alchemy thing?

    Would suck so buy a lot of mats now and then find out that they are useless!

  3. #503
    Well I know cooking's been revamped so you can do it entirely from Pandaria... I don't recall anything about alchemy, though. Perhaps you can link the blue post in question?

  4. #504
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Well I know cooking's been revamped so you can do it entirely from Pandaria... I don't recall anything about alchemy, though. Perhaps you can link the blue post in question?
    Dammit! Now I cant find it. It was a blue post talking about profession-changes in MoP. Was a few days ago..

  5. #505
    Quote Originally Posted by Boombrew View Post
    Dammit! Now I cant find it. It was a blue post talking about profession-changes in MoP. Was a few days ago..
    Afaik they said something along they test it with cooking now and if it gets good response they might overhaul other professions too.

  6. #506
    Thanks alot for doing this guide The Madgod.

    However, i was wondering a few things after reading the guide... And i apologize in advance if these have been answered already.

    Wouldnt Mastery be a good idea too? considering that it seems if you increase your percentage of damage staggered, then you would infact take less damage upfront? Saying currently its 80% upfront and 20% staggered... if you say increased your mastery by 10% wouldnt that mean you're only likely to take 70% upfront while 30% is negated through stagger and purifying brew?

    Also.. i noticed you didnt mention any addons specifically for monks tested in the guide... are there any you (or anybody else reading) could recommend for Brewmaster tanking?

  7. #507
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post

    2 & 3: The information's all in the guide (see the first page of this thread, section 3.3 for information on gemming, section 11 for professions)
    So Yellow slots will be pure haste. What about Blue and Red? It seems like for magical fights the haste/crit gemming is way to go. For EH fights Mastery Stamina seems optimal no? Just trying to make sense of when to use different gems.

  8. #508
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by r3d3mpt10n View Post
    Wouldnt Mastery be a good idea too? considering that it seems if you increase your percentage of damage staggered, then you would infact take less damage upfront? Saying currently its 80% upfront and 20% staggered... if you say increased your mastery by 10% wouldnt that mean you're only likely to take 70% upfront while 30% is negated through stagger and purifying brew?
    Mastery is a very expensive stat for each 1%. I don't have the exact lvl 90 mastery conversion rate at hand, but for 10% extra mastery you'd need something like 11000-12000 mastery rating if I remember right. It's not realistic unless you sacrifice a lot in other stats.

  9. #509
    Quote Originally Posted by r3d3mpt10n View Post
    Thanks alot for doing this guide The Madgod.

    However, i was wondering a few things after reading the guide... And i apologize in advance if these have been answered already.

    Wouldnt Mastery be a good idea too? considering that it seems if you increase your percentage of damage staggered, then you would infact take less damage upfront? Saying currently its 80% upfront and 20% staggered... if you say increased your mastery by 10% wouldnt that mean you're only likely to take 70% upfront while 30% is negated through stagger and purifying brew?

    Also.. i noticed you didnt mention any addons specifically for monks tested in the guide... are there any you (or anybody else reading) could recommend for Brewmaster tanking?
    Mastery is not really our best stat. 1-5% extra damage staggered will make more of a difference on bigger EH fights, and thus it becomes better than dodge and parry, but it still cannot compete with the active mitigation benefits that haste and crit provide.

    Keep in mind that that percentage of damage staggered isn't completely negated. You'll still take some of that damage.

    I've yet to add any addons, that's certainly true... however a lot of people have been using WeakAuras. One that Asmalya linked was http://www.wowinterface.com/download...masterTao.html which is nice for stagger... I found a couple that could be useful to us as well, though I've yet to experiment with them... http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/monkec and http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/monktimers

    Quote Originally Posted by towelliee View Post
    So Yellow slots will be pure haste. What about Blue and Red? It seems like for magical fights the haste/crit gemming is way to go. For EH fights Mastery Stamina seems optimal no? Just trying to make sense of when to use different gems.
    If you are following the spreadsheet on Elitist Jerks, you're going to want to gem and enchant to your stat weights, but for the most part that will mean we're gemming expertise to the cap we want, and then purely haste. Getting a socket bonus will highly depend on that gem bonus and what your weight looks like, to decide whether or not it's a good thing to go for.

    And for EH fights, mastery again is a meh stat for us... It'll be better than dodge or parry, but it's not comparable with our active mitigation stats. Stamina will have more of a place, but I wouldn't necessarily say that you should gem for it, for the most part. If you can get away with a solid socket bonus, at least.

  10. #510
    Quote Originally Posted by Boombrew View Post
    Dammit! Now I cant find it. It was a blue post talking about profession-changes in MoP. Was a few days ago..
    This thing?

    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/730...very-9_18_2012

    If the discovery system is implemented at lower levels, yes this could change what mats you will need.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-21 at 11:00 AM ----------

    After looking on Beta it doesn't seem that you will have the discovery system at lower levels, but you will be using it at MoP levels.

  11. #511
    Dreadlord Chuupag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by paraalso View Post
    Mastery is a very expensive stat for each 1%. I don't have the exact lvl 90 mastery conversion rate at hand, but for 10% extra mastery you'd need something like 11000-12000 mastery rating if I remember right. It's not realistic unless you sacrifice a lot in other stats.
    340 Hit Rating = 1% Hit
    340 Expertise Rating = 1% Expertise
    600 Crit Rating = 1% Crit
    425 Haste Rating = 1% Haste
    600 Mastery Rating = 1% Mastery
    885 Parry Rating = 1% Parry (before diminishing returns)
    885 Dodge Rating = 1% Dodge (before diminishing returns)

    I had posted this earlier, just reposting to clear up your ballpark estimate. This also shows is sort of, in a severely dumbed down way, why haste is better...it's simply cheaper. This isn't correct...but for the sake of argument let's say 1% of anything gets you the same results. Haste wins hands down in that sort of simplified scenario simply b/c you get more bang for your buck on a per point basis.

  12. #512
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuupag View Post
    340 Hit Rating = 1% Hit
    340 Expertise Rating = 1% Expertise
    600 Crit Rating = 1% Crit
    425 Haste Rating = 1% Haste
    600 Mastery Rating = 1% Mastery
    885 Parry Rating = 1% Parry (before diminishing returns)
    885 Dodge Rating = 1% Dodge (before diminishing returns)

    I had posted this earlier, just reposting to clear up your ballpark estimate. This also shows is sort of, in a severely dumbed down way, why haste is better...it's simply cheaper. This isn't correct...but for the sake of argument let's say 1% of anything gets you the same results. Haste wins hands down in that sort of simplified scenario simply b/c you get more bang for your buck on a per point basis.
    Mastery gained per rating isn't universal, it differs from spec to spec. Are you sure those are specifically Monk Brewmaster numbers? For example a lvl 85 Brewmaster requires 360 rating for 1% mastery and 128 for 1% haste. That's 2,8 times as much for mastery compared to haste. It would be odd if it turned into 1,4 times as much for lvl 90.

  13. #513
    Dreadlord Chuupag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    969
    I hadn't taken that into consideration. I think I grabbed these numbers awhile back from 2 or 3 sources. I'll check around and see if I can come up with the mastery numbers for brewmasters. The other numbers should be correct though. And regardless of the mastery number it's still at the bottom of our stat priority list on the spreadsheets in terms of damage avoided per point.
    Last edited by Chuupag; 2012-09-21 at 07:36 PM.

  14. #514
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuupag View Post
    340 Hit Rating = 1% Hit
    340 Expertise Rating = 1% Expertise
    600 Crit Rating = 1% Crit
    425 Haste Rating = 1% Haste
    600 Mastery Rating = 1% Mastery
    885 Parry Rating = 1% Parry (before diminishing returns)
    885 Dodge Rating = 1% Dodge (before diminishing returns)
    Okay looking at my character on beta (lvl 90 human monk):

    MASTERY:

    I have 1148 mastery rating = .96% mastery. So we set up a simple algebra equation:

    1% mastery*(1148 mastery rating/.96% mastery)= 1195.83 Rating

    So 1% mastery is 1195.83 Mastery Rating

    I just found 4 pieces of gear that gave me exactly 1% mastery and it says 1196 Mastery rating. So the calculation is correct.

    CRIT

    With gloves and two 1 handed pvp weapons I have 653 Crit rating = 1.09% Crit chance

    1% Crit Chance*(653 Crit rating/1.09 Crit chance) = 599.08 Crit Rating

    So 1% Chance to crit is 599.08 Crit Rating

    HASTE:

    Only a helm and shoulder on: 1.76% haste = 750 Haste rating

    1% Haste*(750 Haste rating/1.76% haste) = 426.14 Haste rating

    1% Haste is 426.14 Haste Rating

    Expertise
    Only Chest on: .97% Expertise = 329 Expertise Rating

    1% Expertise*(329 Expertise Rating/.97% Expertise) = 339.18 Expertise Rating

    1% Expertise is 339.18 Expertise Rating

    Hit

    Just legs on: .91% Hit = 309 Hit Rating

    1% Hit*(309 hit rating/.91% hit) = 339.56 hit rating

    1% hit is 339.56 hit rating


    TL;DR

    1% Mastery = 1195.83 Master Rating
    1% Haste = 426.14 Haste Rating
    1% Crit = 599.08 Crit Rating
    1% Expertise = 339.18 Expertise Rating
    1% Hit = 339.56 Hit rating
    1% Dodge = Subject to diminishing returns not going to calculate
    1% Parry = Subject to diminishing returns not going to calculate

    Let me know if something doesn't look right.
    God I hate math, I don't even know why I did this! xD
    Last edited by Wreckage827; 2012-09-21 at 09:29 PM.

  15. #515
    Dreadlord Chuupag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckage827 View Post
    Okay looking at my character on beta (lvl 90 human monk):

    MASTERY:

    I have 1148 mastery rating = .96% mastery. So we set up a simple algebra equation:

    1% mastery*(1148 mastery rating/.96% mastery)= 1195.83 Rating

    So 1% mastery is 1195.83 Rating

    HASTE:

    Only a helm and shoulder on: 1.76% haste = 750 Haste rating

    1% Haste*(750 Haste rating/1.76% haste) = 426.14 Haste rating

    1% Haste is 426.14 Haste Rating
    What he said. The 426.14 numbers is close enough to the 425 that I'm assuming there are rounding shenanigans happening on the character sheet. Then the 1195.83 could mean anywhere from 1190 to 1200.

  16. #516
    It is exactly 1196 in Beta right now.

    Lost Isles: WreckBeta

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-21 at 04:53 PM ----------

    It should also be noted these stat conversions differ from WW monk. I will be double checking this.

    Right so the only difference between Brewmaster and WW is they can gain mastery A LOT easier than us
    This is just to prevent us from being able to push our stagger to ridiculous amounts.

    WW Monk Stat conversion
    1% Mastery = 429.09 Master Rating
    Last edited by Wreckage827; 2012-09-22 at 12:15 AM.

  17. #517
    Well that answers my question... i still reckon with the mastery bonus (4% per point) and looking at alot of the gear posted in The Madgods first post... i dont think it would be too hard to hit 2990 mastery(10% more staggered damage), with the raid gear (just over a third of that comes on 3 of the trinkets The Madgod linked)

    Granted, its would slightly nerf some of the regen/AM(slightly) since you'd likely reforge Mastery off into some more desirable stats, but wouldn't the 10% increase also be good enough to go for if it was reachable without gimping yourself too much..

    I'm just imagining that Brewmaster Monks might have mastery break points to give us something extra like DoT or HoT using casters do with Haste.

    Mind you, i could just be looking at it wrongly, but it does seem that the numbers could eventually fall into place.

    Also, not to forget, there is actually a Mastery buff now granted, which gives around 900(?) mastery, so it makes the target even more reachable.

  18. #518
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by r3d3mpt10n View Post
    Well that answers my question... i still reckon with the mastery bonus (4% per point) and looking at alot of the gear posted in The Madgods first post... i dont think it would be too hard to hit 2990 mastery(10% more staggered damage), with the raid gear (just over a third of that comes on 3 of the trinkets The Madgod linked)
    You've misunderstood how mastery works. You get 4% extra stagger by default without having any mastery on gear. Then you need about 1200 rating for each extra 1%. So with 0 mastery rating you get 4% stagger from mastery, with 7200 rating you get 10%, and with 12000 rating you get 14%.

    So with 2990 mastery rating you'd only be getting 2,5% more stagger.
    Last edited by mmoc7960b93d6c; 2012-09-22 at 01:20 PM.

  19. #519
    thats a good point, actually, although if t was 4% per point, which it seemingly isnt, then it'd be a good idea to go for it.

    Although, since its not, then it seems Mastery is just about completely worthless.

  20. #520

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    [*]Inscription - Provides agility or stamina via Secret Tiger Claw Inscription or Secret Ox horn Inscription I would reccomend getting the Tiger Claw one, mainly because agility provides us with so much more than stamina does. I'd prefer better self healing, avoidance, and energy regeneration than a higher health pool to soak damage. As well, Scribes can make their own staves, so it can help with early-expansion gearing.
    You should add that the inscription-crafted staves are BoA, so you can craft them on an alt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •