ha, warforged pieces in 10m, right.

Anyway, is 2h much better on DPS than DW? I switched weapons on a whim while working on Garrosh and it seems to have improved my damage. I'm still getting normal white hits so it can't be a crit cap thing.
    Brewmaster Icy-Veins Guide Writer

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealNight View Post
    Looked at our Malk kill where I solo tank BR and it was 3 mil healing (almost 10% of healing done) with 45% overheal. On lighter hitting fights it pretty much does jack squat cause I don't purify that much now days outside of progression fights.
    What's the 2p looking like in 25man? Can't scan logs really cause I'm on my phone sorry.
    http://www.twitch.tv/cheezy_123
    14/14H SoO <Divinity>

10+ Year Old Account
    From the same Malk log (427k dps(e)) it was almost 1 mil healing or 3% of healing done. In general it is 3-4% on each fight. Because of how AP scaling and Ox Guards work I don't think this changes between 10m and 25m just the actual amount absorbed is higher.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Concerning tier bonuses:

From a fairly eclectic fight like Seigecrafter: last kill

Total effective healing ~44 mil
    2pT16 healing ~2.75 mil (6.2% of total healing)
    4pT16 healing ~1.94 mil (4.4% of total healing)
    Total healing taken: 54.9 mil - tier bonuses provided 8.54% of all healing done to me

From a heavier tank damage fight where I purify somewhat more frequently: last Thok

Total effective healing ~18.7 mil
    2pT16 healing ~1.11 mil (5.9% of total healing)
    4pT16 healing ~3.28 mil (17.5% of total healing)
    Total healing taken: 44 mil - tier bonuses provided 10% of all healing done to me

I'm not going to say that the bonuses are OMG amazing, but even on farm, they're providing a decent chunk of healing. It's not good as a passive 10% DR or something, but it's a solid chunk of the healing that I take, and they provide between 10-20% more healing on my part as well. Given that on average, I heal about 50-75% as much as the median healer in most fights, and if we go by the general rule that 2p/4p bonuses combined = 5% more effectiveness at your role, not only does this healing make you roughly 6-8% more "tankier" (thus slightly overbudget), but it also actually straight up beats healers' 2p+4p at healing too.

Comparing it to T15 set bonuses, I think the main issue is that the T15 bonuses were very active and felt strong compared to how much they actually helped. While timing the 2p to give another 20% DR or so on many timed abilities felt amazing, overall the 2pT15 prevented less damage than the 2pT16 does. Similarly, not using chi when you purify feels like a stronger bonus than being healed when you purify, since it's easy to quantify not losing 1 chi from 5 total but it's hard to feel good about adding 6% overall healing to self or whatever, but you essentially recognize that 4pT15 was just plus damage and really had no effect on our survival whatsoever.

Anyway, my opinion is that the tier bonuses are definitely worth grabbing in SoO even at the cost of a few ilvls even if you were so lucky to have 4 580 offset pieces.
    Last edited by kaiadam; 2013-12-02 at 10:18 PM.

So Galakras hc got oneshot tonight, and Juggernaut went down in about 7-8 wipes. We're now doing dark shaman, and i was wondering if you guys had any tips regarding talents? Im tanking Kardris (or w/e the female one is called), and the other two are tanking the male one far away. I tried going for diffuse magic first for the frost bolt, but im not too sure if it's really worth having, since it has such a long cooldown, where as she casts the frostbolt like every 10 seconds or so. I went with healing elixirs and glyphed guard for the rest of the tries, and it seemed to work out decently.

Other problem i was having was that my shuffle was falling off, when i began kiting the oozes. Im not sure if it's just because it was relatively close to the beginning of the fight, so i didnt really have that much shuffle banked up, but needless to say it wasnt nice to start tanking her again after the oozes died.

You're going to have your shuffle drop. It isn't that much of a big deal, but she can/will still melee you after she casts Frostbolt. I've been using glyphed Guard and use it after each add spawn. You could technically hit her with a BoK when you're getting aggro on the adds, but you have to make sure you have 4 chi up every add spawn.

The main threat from Kadriss isn't her melee swings anyway, she simply doesn't hit that hard. Her cast will always deal more damage than her melee swings (even w/o shuffle) so that falling off while kiting her due to tornados and what not are fine.

So far as talents, I like to keep diffuse magic for face tanking the blobs every third time (so 1, 4, 7, ect.) but when things get super hairy at the end (falling ash lining up with everything) using diffuse magic to make me take very little damage from all the different sources that are going out. You'll wanna use guard, expel harm, and your GotOx orbs that you spawn to deal with the froststorm bolts. Use diffuse magic to deal with heavier sources of damage/face tank adds so they die quicker.
    Every time you say "Brewmasters need to stay at 40-60% to be optimal" your favorite deity kills 10 kittens. Here is how it actually works from the Sparkle Dragon's mouth
    Play Monster Hunter? Here's my FC: 1779-0791-2717

Thanks Shyama for the awesome Signature

For tanking Wavebinder Kardris i personally use glyphed guard and dampen harm because it reduces the damage from 3 frostbolts or falling ashes when guard isn't up. i use grapple weapon if neither guard or dampen harm are available just so i can get the 5% damage reduction, the disarm portion is a nice bonus but she doesn't melee hard at all.

On a final note, if you can time it properly, you can zen med when falling ash is about to hit and the boss is casting a frostbolt or just zen med the frostbolt if you're desperate.

Hello guys,

Can you please help me to understand, since i'm not familiarized, on the tanking mechanics on the monk?
    I know the basic rotation and the cd's and so on but still:

Should Guard be up 100% of the time that i am tanking?
    Should Elusive Brew be up 100% of the time that i am tanking?
    What is the times per minute that i should be using Jab, Keg Smash and Expel Harm?
    Can we have a number of Chi generated per minute?
    On fights that we tank 100% of the time what is the optimal up time of Guard and Elusive Brew?
    Stager mechanic, best way to use it and uptime?
    Any other pointer that you can give me.

Tanks in advance
    Best Regards

Impossible.

Ideally yes. but since its a RNG factor in the uptime you just want as high uptime as poss.

What is the times per minute that i should be using Jab, Keg Smash and Expel Harm?
    kegsmash on every cd. jab as energy dump filler/same with Expel harm (or if you need the heal)

On fights that we tank 100% of the time what is the optimal up time of Guard and Elusive Brew?
    since guard isnt unlimited you cant really tell. depends on how hard the boss hits. if you're glyphed, if its alot of magical damage.
    Elusive brew should just be up as much as you can. a person with more crit built gear will have higher than a mastery so cant say a direct number

First page on this sticky has a excellent explination on Stagger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Deleted
    Hi,

No. Use it as a CD.

Yes, if you are able to do it. In 10-mans you can do it, because you will have hell a lot of crit, not sure about 25-mans (anyone?), but at least try to time EB usage on dodgeable physical hits. :P

Keg Smash should be used on CD, so as close to 8 seconds as its even possible.
    Use Jab when you are going to cap Energy, but it doesn't interfere with your Keg Smash's CD. The amount depends on your Haste rating really.
    Use Expel Harm when you aren't on max HP/Chi, Keg Smash will not be up in 1 second, you need heal ASAP etc; I hope, you get it. ;D

Can we have a number of Chi generated per minute?
    It depends on your Haste level, what talent you're using (Ascension, Power Strikes or Chi Brew) and the fight you're on.

There's no optimal uptime for Guard. Use it if you need it, it really depends on the fight itself.
    On 10-mans EB uptime should be 100% or at least as close as it can get. Still not sure about 25-mans, but the optimal would still be 100%.

If you are just beginning to tank as a Monk, and start doing some LFR's to get some experience/gear, you should Purify when your Stagger hits Yellow. As you get experienced, you will start not givin' a shit about yellow anymore and will clear red only. And if you are already 'familiar enough' with your lovely tank, you will 'only' clear 100%-150%+ Staggers. There is much to explain/learn/experience about Brewmaster tanking, we work completely different from other tanks, you'll need to get used to it. :P
    There is like... no such thing as optimal Stagger uptime, since it will be up if you get hit by anything as Physical.

Any other pointer that you can give me.
    Keep your Shuffle up! Always, 'at any cost'.
    Always, always, always have your Statue down! :P
    If you are in need of Energy and must pool it, don't just sit back and slack, start spamming Tiger Palm instead! Its for free, does DPS and refreshes your Power Guard/Tiger Power buff/debuff.

I hope I helped, have fun tanking!
    Adam
    Last edited by mmocaa2bd0c2d5; 2013-12-03 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Typo

Tanks alot kittycovox and Szensa ill try to follow your advices.

Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Ergar View Post
    So Galakras hc got oneshot tonight, and Juggernaut went down in about 7-8 wipes. We're now doing dark shaman, and i was wondering if you guys had any tips regarding talents? Im tanking Kardris (or w/e the female one is called), and the other two are tanking the male one far away. I tried going for diffuse magic first for the frost bolt, but im not too sure if it's really worth having, since it has such a long cooldown, where as she casts the frostbolt like every 10 seconds or so. I went with healing elixirs and glyphed guard for the rest of the tries, and it seemed to work out decently.

Other problem i was having was that my shuffle was falling off, when i began kiting the oozes. Im not sure if it's just because it was relatively close to the beginning of the fight, so i didnt really have that much shuffle banked up, but needless to say it wasnt nice to start tanking her again after the oozes died.
    HE and glyphed guard are the way I go. If your Shuffle fell off while depositing the adds it's not a big deal. Just make sure you have EB or BoK ready to use the moment you are back in melee or EH ready if you take a big hit before Shuffle is back up.

hmm so decided to grab 9/9 gold on my monk aswell since you never know what will happen with em next expansion. whats the gearing strat? go full out critt or mastery? since we are lazy and just want smooth gold runs and not trying to get awesome times, so taken smoothness into account, how spiky am i with full critt, or full mastery? is there any difference

After expertise and hit cap, you barely have any stats to throw around after being shot down to 463. You wouldn't feel much of a difference in stacking either crit or mastery. If you're concerned about survival, stack stamina.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiadam View Post
    After expertise and hit cap, you barely have any stats to throw around after being shot down to 463. You wouldn't feel much of a difference in stacking either crit or mastery. If you're concerned about survival, stack stamina.
    wait wat? when i did Cms on my dk, if i was Hit/exp capped outside of CM i was capped inside. went to check now aswell and still seems to be.

Quote Originally Posted by kittycovox View Post
    wait wat? when i did Cms on my dk, if i was Hit/exp capped outside of CM i was capped inside. went to check now aswell and still seems to be.
    This is because the stats you would ordinarily lose from hit and exp are taken from mastery crit aand haste instead.

Quote Originally Posted by kittycovox View Post
    No, your hit/exp will stay at cap, but all your other stats are shrunk so much that you'll barely have any left. I think you have like 11k total stats or so after gear scaling, and you're going to use 7.6k of it on accuracy so you'll have like ~1-3k of haste/mastery/crit - low enough as to be almost irrelevant. Stamina will have a bigger effect than any other secondary at that level.

Deleted
    If you want good times go for crit. If you only want gold do whatever.

You don't need to exp hard cap. You can use the extra points in better places at that gear level.